Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 10:24   #16

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: How nervous should I be?

If the stuffing on the prop shaft was changed while it was out of the water that would cause me concern.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:31   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
sailstoo,

FYI, you've made an incorrect assumption. One of the marinas we stay at some of the time uses their work boat to move people's boats, so no start up of the vessel need be involved. The custom where you leave your boat may be different.

We don't know, either, if Dr. D left his engine water intake seacock open, or not, or other details about how the boat was left, except that the batteries are disconnected. No idea of how much charge they have, how long the boat has been out. There are way too many variables for an outsider to figure out how much risk is involved. He, presumably, does know all that, and therefore is in a better position to decide whether or not to take the risk than we are.

Ann
Yes, so why is he asking us?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:31   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You should be very nervous. Never, -never- splash your boat without being present yourself. Only when the yard gives you written assurance that they take over responsibility it could be considered, but they normally want you to sign a waiver instead, meaning you are responsible even if they are to blame.

This is the "I told you so category" where it isn't a matter if it's gonna end in disaster but only -when- it'll end in disaster.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:55   #19

Boat: Islander 36

if you buy any insurance of any kind, you don't want to base it on the probability of not needing it. And in this case, if you have bought and paid for boat insurance, don't expect them to bypass what you are hoping to bypass here.

Yes. You probably won't have a problem. But if you do, you own it.
Old 19-03-2017, 11:09   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

I agree with Ann; only the OP can asses the risk. If you’ve really gone over things carefully, and double-checked all holes in the boat, then the risk is probably minimal. But don’t just confirm the seacocks are closed. Check all hose clamps, check transducer sockets, and make sure the shaft stuffing box is closed (if that is applicable to your boat). Any hole, even the ones above the waterline, should be examined.

Similar scenario to yours: our marina launched a boat sans-owner last season (something I would not want to do with my boat). The owner had said they checked everything, but somehow a waterline-level sink drain hose came off. Boat seemed fine at first, but took on water slowly. By the time I noticed the problem a week later she was way down on her waterline, with water nearly up to the cushions. Owner was no where to be seen, and the boat was locked. We had to cut the lock off, and toss in an industrial-sized pump to save her. I’d say we were within two hours of loosing her.

If you’ve really checked all holes carefully, and everything else is looking OK, then the risk is likely minimal. But only you can know this. Check those clamps.

I’d try hard to get someone to check the boat at least daily. And leave the boat unlocked, or leave the key with someone who’s always there ... just in case.
Old 19-03-2017, 11:20   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

Don C L has a really good point. Older stuffing box material may have dried and cracked, and drip, drip, drip.... there 'ya go.

I'm slightly concerned that they just drop it, drag it and leave it. Nobody I've ever heard of is so lax about that kind of thing! I'd insist they open the boat and at least check the through-hulls, and inspect the packing gland.

Hooking up the battery and flipping on the bilge pump ought to be a standard part of dropping any boat in the water! If your battery is dead after the winter, it's probably dead, as in gone, so they could sell you another one. I'd consider the (always) inflated price just cheap insurance.

If their response is "not my yob," then I'd bribe 'em with sweet talk and a Ben Franklin. I always carry gift cards with me and I hand them out to the folks at the yard (and in the marina office) . It is amazing the way they take care of me.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 12:10   #22

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Find a very good knowledgeable friend you can trust to go and be on the boat. When I relaunched after an engine re-fit I was watching from the outside and our son (23) was inside checking everything. We made sure that all the bilges were dry and the floors were up to see what happened. I was also on the phone to him as the boat entered the water.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 16:14   #23

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 1991

Which boatyard?
Rising Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 17:53   #24

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Yeah, I should relax. The boat looked fine and all seacocks are closed. Thanks for the replies!
Well, as long as the hoses are double-clamped with SS clamps on unsplit hose and the seacocks have been serviced, you're golden.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 18:28   #25

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I worry all the time, even with operable bilge pump. ... I've gotten a couple of calls over the years from the marina when my boat is unbalanced, either due to rain water filling the dinghy (dinghy not on board in following photo) or fuel not equalized port and starboard.

Old 19-03-2017, 20:38   #26

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Was that a pic of a center console boat hanging from the dock lines? Looked like it to me.

Anyway, I thought Center Console boats had positive floatation and would not sink like the one in that pic.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 09:50   #27
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
My boat is on the hard and the batteries are disconnected. Next week the boat will be put back in the slip. The weekend after that Is the first time I can get to the boat and get the electricals back in order and get the bilge pump powered.

So how nervous should I be about the boat in the water with no bilge pump for a few days? I will be at the boat this weekend to do final maintenance and check all the seacocks are closed.

There has never been water entering the hull from rain, although the weather will be mostly dry next week.
Seriously? What will the marina charge to hook up then batteries and check the bilge pump? $50? Maybe $100. What is the boat worth to you? How willing are you to pay the environmental remediation charge if it sinks?

I can't believe there has been any response other than, "Never launch a boat equipped with a bilge pump, without it turned on." Anything else is far less than prudent seamanship. That simple.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:28   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Seriously? What will the marina charge to hook up then batteries and check the bilge pump? $50? Maybe $100. What is the boat worth to you? How willing are you to pay the environmental remediation charge if it sinks?

I can't believe there has been any response other than, "Never launch a boat equipped with a bilge pump, without it turned on." Anything else is far less than prudent seamanship. That simple.
Never a wooden planked boat that must soak up. A glass boat, I wouldn't but risks seem low unless someone left her with problems.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:29   #29

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Was that a pic of a center console boat hanging from the dock lines? Looked like it to me. Anyway, I thought Center Console boats had positive floatation and would not sink like the one in that pic.
Hard to tell from the picture, but one would assume if the lines were cut, the boat would go down. With 4 outboards, I'm not sure floatation is going to overcome that sort of weight.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 14:20   #30

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsestes1 View Post
Which boatyard?
Herrington Harbor North. Good place.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote