Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 11:28   #136

Re: How necessary is AIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
How’d you get that picture of me SEE!! I HAVE BEEN COMPROMISED
Just another photo of you when you're down below!

He probably just made an automatic connection based on your avatar picture.

Same facial hair, different hat, that's all.

See how that govt corruption can work with facial recognition software?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:34   #137

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
.......... My problem with AIS transmissions are the way companies are putting them on the Internet, i.e. Shipfinder, Vesselfinder, MarineTraffic, etc. IMO could fix this, but it seems they want Gov't to step in, hence nothing is being done to plug this gaping privacy breach.
It's not really a privacy breach, you should have no expectation of privacy once you leave your own home. And no expectation of privacy if you keep the blinds or curtains up.

The good part of your location being on the Internet is, your friends and family can track your progress.
Old 04-08-2017, 14:06   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How necessary is AIS?

Two years ago I was stopped by CBP in Clearwater, they held me in place, but did not board for at least an hour, taking pictures of the boat, asking questions etc, at one point I said if you would have looked at your AIS you would have had all these questions answered and known all about me, before I arrived. Their answer? What's AIS?
1,000 HP Rib, four agents on board, no AIS.

I understand Mikes position though, I will not have a grocery discount card or any of those type things cause their use is to track my habits.
As much as I can, I do try to limit my exposure, but I do use the Internet, banks etc and therefore know that I have lots of exposure.

People will gladly give you their personal information on how much beer they drink etc., to get 10c off a gallon of milk.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 14:24   #139

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...I understand Mikes position though, I will not have a grocery discount card or any of those type things cause their use is to track my habits.
As much as I can, I do try to limit my exposure, but I do use the Internet, banks etc and therefore know that I have lots of exposure.

People will gladly give you their personal information on how much beer they drink etc., to get 10c off a gallon of milk.
I know I can come across as the tinfoil hat guy sometimes. I don’t do Facebook, won’t use Google, and do my best to block all digital tracking while online. I don’t have any loyalty or points cards, and I don’t just hand over my personal details when asked. That said, I don’t live in a cave, and have no choice but to interact with our digital (and therefore trackable) world. I understand that I can’t hide from prying eyes. I just do my best not to make it too easy for ‘them.'

I think we’re seeing the death *of the concept* of privacy. AIS transmission is one tiny aspect of this. There are far bigger concerns.

BTW, I still say AIS is useful, but not necessary (just to try and swing this back to the actual thread ).
Old 04-08-2017, 14:38   #140

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It's not really a privacy breach, you should have no expectation of privacy once you leave your own home. And no expectation of privacy if you keep the blinds or curtains up.

The good part of your location being on the Internet is, your friends and family can track your progress.
I disagree!

To broadcast the location of my private vessel (and by association, me!) with all identifying information in (near) real-time on the Internet is a privacy breach!

Not sure how you believe it's not! If you have an equivalent service as an example, please provide evidence of such.

DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 14:46   #141

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

Quote:
I disagree!

To broadcast the location of my private vessel (and by association, me!) with all identifying information in (near) real-time on the Internet is a privacy breach!

Not sure how you believe it's not! If you have an equivalent service as an example, please provide evidence of such.

ok I'm going to try hard not to sound mean.....

Who the hell cares where your at?
IRS? FBI? ATF?

Really some guy is sitting at a computer and his job is to track where dotdun is?

Are you serious?

I know it sounds mean and trust me it's not, but sorry no one cares where your at....

Bob
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 14:59   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How necessary is AIS?

One day we if we live long enough we will read as to how the Insurence agencies and other civilian providers are in fact tracking our alcohol consumption, what kinds of foods we eat, how often we have been to the emergency room, marital status, how many divorces we have had if any, what medications we are taking and well lots of things I don't know about.
Surrendering data has become common, people just do it without asking
I'm renting now as the boat is undergoing major maintenance, I went to ask how to get mail and had a piece of paper shoved at me that was requesting telephone numbers, home address, drivers license number, automobile registration and other data, so I refused, their answer? Fl law says I have to be registered.
Now I'm no fool I know Fl law may say that they have to know the whereabouts and how many people are in property that they manage, but does not require home addresses, phone numbers and email etc. That is being gathered Im sure for marketing purposes.
It's logical of course, and just business.
It's already being done, do you not think that a DUI can and will impact your life in more ways than automobile Insurence?
That is an example and my not be a good one.

Why do you think this data is being collected? To sell of course is what comes immediately to mind, then you need to ask who is buying and why.
Old 04-08-2017, 15:13   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by snokid View Post
ok I'm going to try hard not to sound mean.....

Who the hell cares where your at?
IRS? FBI? ATF?

Really some guy is sitting at a computer and his job is to track where dotdun is?

Are you serious?

I know it sounds mean and trust me it's not, but sorry no one cares where your at....

Bob
This 'guy' has access to my home address. Doesn't take rocket science to assume if my boat is somewhere on the move, my house is not occupied.

There are laws protecting your privacy, try to look up a car license plate number for the owner's name and address. Hmm, can't do it wonder why??

Old 04-08-2017, 15:20   #144
CLOD

Boat: none

The governments are monitoring this thread and are taking down your names to track you down. You just just save yourselves by stopping to crazy paranoid posts!
Old 04-08-2017, 15:22   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How necessary is AIS?

Quote:
This 'guy' has access to my home address. Doesn't take rocket science to assume if my boat is somewhere on the move, my house is not occupied.

There are laws protecting your privacy, try to look up a car license plate number for the owner's name and address. Hmm, can't do it wonder why??

No, and if you call the cop shop who has a car with tag number xxxxx they will not give it to you.
However all aircraft and boat registration is open to the public, and you can go to flight aware.com and track an aircraft by tail number, where and when it left a location and time aloft and exact landing time. Now why is that?
For example Company airplane last place I worked
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N210ZP

Want to know who owns it?
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=210ZP
Old 04-08-2017, 15:22   #146

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

OK I will give you that...

millions of people do post on facebook everyday that they are on vacation and a very small amount of them do get robbed, so it's possible it could happen...

Bob
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 15:33   #147

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
How necessary is AIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If you end up installing an AIS unit, you're going to be surprised by how many boats and ships, especially large fishing boats don't use it or don't turn their's on.

The bottom line.... don't count on AIS accuracy.

I continually shocked by this... you would think it would be mandatory for commercial vessels.

No, AIS is not mandatory but for $60 a receive only daisy device it is useful.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 15:44   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by snokid View Post
OK I will give you that...

millions of people do post on facebook everyday that they are on vacation and a very small amount of them do get robbed, so it's possible it could happen...

Bob
Difference: FB is self-inflicted privacy breach!

How many FB users have their home address posted??
Old 04-08-2017, 16:29   #149

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
... A few years ago I started carrying my own back-up nav. Now I have a laptop with OpenCPN and GPS. I have an unlocked quad-band data stick with an external antenna. I have recently added a USB SDR for weather fax. I've now ordered an AIS receiver. For a "go-kit" I have size, weight, and power (SWAP) requirements not relevant to more permanent installations. You could duplicate my setup from scratch for $1500US. Take a new laptop out and you'll have a nice setup for $500. ...

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm very interested in knowing more about your go-kit, especially about the USB SDR and weather fax. Are you able to detail your equipment and software? Thanks.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 20:55   #150

I don't consider myself part of the tinfoil hat crowd but, I also recognize the effects of BIG DATA selling out people to make a few pennies per million hits.

No all states prevent anyone from requesting the personal address of a car registration, at least where I lived until ~15 year ago. The public release of all home addresses of all Concealed Carry (CCW) holders was a popular thing among liberals for a while where I lived as well (targeting CCW holders is a good idea in their world?). "Store loyalty" cards are another big data racket to track consumer behavior. And yes, I try to make it hard for criminal elements to figure out where I live and when my home is not occupied.

In regards to AIS disclosing your location, what about your cellphone? Try looking up Stingrays and similar things used initially only by law enforcement.

Day sailing between Caribbean Islands and traveling inland waterways or close to shore is a totally different thing with a different set of arguments for and against AIS use compared to deep blue water travels.

For open ocean voyages far away from land, does broadcasting your AIS location make you a target for hijacking? General piracy, human smuggling, drug running, etc. seems to make advertising your small boat out on the ocean not a good idea in general. Sure, I'm not an oil tanker or container ship that is easy to ransom but, plenty of smaller vessels are used for one-time attempts to support an illegal endeavor since they have no investment in the vessel and don't really care about the people running it.
Sid Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais