Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 09:35   #1

Boat: Seafarer36c
How much spare line?

I am trying to reduce weight. I probably have over 200lbs of spare line in my rope locker. What would it be stupid not to have? Seems like 1 spare halyard, spare sheets and a long warp of 3 strand and some short bits for different things would be the min. It will be really hard to toss out all that nice rope but I have to start cutting down. I think I have spares for everything and all the running rigging is high tec stuff and in very good shape right now. We never seem to have the emergency situations that would require all this spare stuff and we are not sailing around the world. There is even a series drogue with it's little anchor down in the bottom of the locker. The rest of the boat is full so no moving things around.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 10:42   #2

Re: How much spare line?

Tough one. It's just nice to have well worn sheets, painters, messengers, halyards etc in your hand. And to have them ON hand when things get squirrelly. I have the same affliction with various extra lines in my weight sensitive boat...
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 14:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

My list for spare lines...

1) replacement halyard for the longest on board
2) replacement sheets for the longest on board. Uncut so I can use it for a replacement main sheet as well.
3) double dock lines
4) a spool of 1.75mm dyneema
5) a spool 300' of 1/4" dyneema
6) 300' spool of 1/8 small stuff

With this kit and my splicing kit I figure I can replace, repair, or find a work around for anything on the boat. Anything I can't work through with this kit probably isn't fixable with anything I might have.

I would also recommend learning to splice dyneema lines, with a particular focus on end for end splicing to join a parted line if you have too. As well as learning how to taper a line. The taper can also be used to rebury the core into a broken cover.

The 1.75mm is useful for almost anything that needs to be secure, but doesn't need a huge amount of strength. I have also used it for small soft shackles, whipping big lines, lock stitching, a whole host of things. The 1/4" will replace sheets and halyards on most boats <50' even if it doesn't work on the winches very well.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:27   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd have to go through it and eliminate some of the less serviceable is all, isn't this a little like having too much money or tools?
Myself I'm deficient in spare line

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:54   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Get rid of what is useless. Give away what is excess. Keep lines that are multi-use. Spare anchor line becomes emergency drogue line, spare hallyard becomes emergency genoa sheet, etc.

It is also very easy to simply keep two longer pieces of two major sizes and then cut them down to length when emergency hits.

On our 26'er we have only some 200 ft of spare line and that's about that.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 16:00   #6

In the last year we have been through hurricane in marina, hurricane at anchor, locks, scary marinas, icw, moorings..... most every situation except broken halyard. I got rid of all I could after the last hurricane. In total I now carry:

- 14 dock lines of various lengths
- one dock line twice the length of the boat
- spare halyard
- three rodes
- lots of small stuff
- lots of 3/16 dyneema
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 09:36   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
In total I now carry:

- 14 dock lines of various lengths
- one dock line twice the length of the boat
14 dock lines?? Wow. I have 6 dock lines and I thought that was one too many (5 is the most I've ever needed). I set them up so they don't chafe though, so have yet to need that spare.
Presuming 6 is the most dock lines you could usefully configure, sounds like you have 9 spares.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 10:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
14 dock lines?? Wow.
Presuming 6 is the most dock lines you could usefully configure, sounds like you have 9 spares.

He must be more like me in that I do ruin dock lines sometimes.
Old 30-10-2015, 10:07   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I am trying to reduce weight. I probably have over 200lbs of spare line in my rope locker. What would it be stupid not to have? Seems like 1 spare halyard, spare sheets and a long warp of 3 strand and some short bits for different things would be the min. It will be really hard to toss out all that nice rope but I have to start cutting down. I think I have spares for everything and all the running rigging is high tec stuff and in very good shape right now. We never seem to have the emergency situations that would require all this spare stuff and we are not sailing around the world. There is even a series drogue with it's little anchor down in the bottom of the locker. The rest of the boat is full so no moving things around.
If your current rigging is new high tech. If you aren't planning on a world cruise, sell or better yet find someone that can use the extras.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 11:01   #10

Quote:
14 dock lines?? Wow. I have 6 dock lines and I thought that was one too many (5 is the most I've ever needed). I set them up so they don't chafe though, so have yet to need that spare.
14 dock lines is for hurricanes in a marina. If you don't need to plan for this, you certainly need less. Here is a picture of us using all 14.

https://raindogps34.files.wordpress....pg?w=600&h=291
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 11:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If your current rigging is new high tech. If you aren't planning on a world cruise, sell or better yet find someone that can use the extras.
You're right. I'm starting to see it as hoarding anyway. What better way to fix hoarding than to just give it all away. It will be right around Christmas time when we get back to the boat. Maybe there will be someone around the Rio who has suffered a misfortune and I will end up feeling good about the whole thing. A win win situation.
Old 30-10-2015, 12:02   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have 6 dock lines and I thought that was one too many (5 is the most I've ever needed).
????

If you are in a slip where you can tie both sides . . . . Bow and stern and fore and aft springs both sides is "proper" = 8 Dock lines in use.

In a storm you would double each of those.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 12:14   #13

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
????

If you are in a slip where you can tie both sides . . . . Bow and stern and fore and aft springs both sides is "proper" = 8 Dock lines in use.

In a storm you would double each of those.
Yep. We currently have 10 connected with stern lines doubled up. We have enough to double all up and then a couple spares.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 12:48   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You're right. I'm starting to see it as hoarding anyway. What better way to fix hoarding than to just give it all away. It will be right around Christmas time when we get back to the boat. Maybe there will be someone around the Rio who has suffered a misfortune and I will end up feeling good about the whole thing. A win win situation.
There was just a thread about where are the good people. One hand washes the other.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 12:55   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
14 dock lines is for hurricanes in a marina. If you don't need to plan for this, you certainly need less. Here is a picture of us using all 14.

https://raindogps34.files.wordpress....pg?w=600&h=291
Oh, yeah, I'm in a place that doesn't have hurricanes fortunately. Highest winds in the marina have been 45 knots, and 4 docking lines held the boat just fine.

For a hurricane I can see using more, though I do wonder what you would do if you couldn't use the other side of the slip - ie, if the marina were close to 100% of capacity. I guess that would never happen in a hurricane region since it's off-season? (the marina in your pic looks almost empty)

With two boats abreast, and with beamy boats becoming common, often there's only 4 or 5 feet between their beams - so pulling your boat closer to their's would seem like a bad idea.

I guess this is a bit off topic though, sorry for the thread drift.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote