Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 16:01   #1

How much does all your crap weigh?

I think I maybe read a 2,000lbs/900kg number somewhere for a typical voyaging couple but wonder what people think all that stuff they have onboard actually weighs?

All of it. Everything you put on the boat that's not OEM equipment and you don't put in your body. The stainless davits with the solar panels and the dink hanging off of it. The spares. The Anchor. The books. The clothes. The AC. The liferaft. The two hundred pounds of fuel in jerry cans on the rail as you sail off to Horta. The whole works. What's a total?

I think if you have taken OEM equipment off the boat or made other alterations that reduce weight you should get a credit against your total. Maybe include a few details about what boat, how many, whether liveaboard working or out there cruising or whatever.

Cheers!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 16:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: How much does all your crap weigh?

We hold 8000 pounds of water and fuel. The rest of the stuff is inconsequential. Easily 2000 pounds of spare parts & toys. Spinnaker is 200#, genoa about 180, main - 110. 5 anchors; 180, 120, 74, 54, 30 and 1700 # of chain. Loaded boat is 36 tons. Still makes 8 to 11 knots. Its not a race & we need the stuff when we get there.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 16:39   #3

For the record I'm not interested in judging people or what they do with their stuff, just curious as to how accurate the 2,000 lbs number is as it relates to boat size and cruising style.

That said if you added a gun safe and a bunch of guns to the boat I would think they should be included.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 16:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

2000 is an estimate base on volume and how many pick-up truck loads. As I noted, we are not too concerned. We stuff heavy items that are water tolerant low and centered between the diesel & water tanks. Lots of engine rebuild parts and a couple bushels of electrical and pump parts. Volume is more important - got to put the Admiral's shoes somewhere. Probably the worst mass is the 2000 # of anchor and chain on the bow.

Interesting consideration for multihulls. I understand the excessive weight is harder on their speed than on monohulls.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 17:22   #5

Boat: Beneteau 393

Our boat's displacement is 17,152 lbs. When we trucked the boat across the U.S. from WA to MD (with all of our stuff onboard), it weighed a smidge over 19,000 lbs. Add to that 133 gallons of water (the biggest single weight contributor), a 175 lb guy, 130 lb girl, (2) 40-ish lb kids, and about 300 lbs of miscellaneous stuff that we took off the boat when traveling across country (fridge contents, clothes for a week, travel toiletries, etc.).

So 19,050 + 1109 lb + 175 + 130 + 40 + 40 +300 = 20,844 lbs.

So total extra weight onboard is 3,692 lbs. (which includes full fuel and water tanks)

5,240 lb is the max recommended extra load for our boat per the owner's manual.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 17:26   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Surely this is number of people and size of boat dependent. I believe no matter how big or small within reason, most people will use almost all available storage space. I doubt you see many boats with half empty lockers.
I understand why you are asking, but I bet you would find twice as much weight in essentials on a 40+' boat than a 32' or smaller boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 17:31   #7

my 47 foot mono with probably a 39 waterline went up 5" when unloaded. Any idea what that calc is?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 17:47   #8

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Boats gain weight after initial splash. My 48 footer after one year has probably gained 2000-2500lb and lost a few knots off the top(power boat). For a 44-50 ft boat your estimate of 2000lb sounds in the ball park
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 17:49   #9

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus

39 ft waterline, assume beam of 12 ft and fairly slender lines, 5 inches comes to around 7-8000 lbs
Old 20-03-2014, 18:06   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Our boat came with OEM standard equipment of full aluminum hard bimini/dodger/davits, two AC units, electric winch, watermaker, solar panels, dinghy/outboard, anchor and chain, windlass, fuel polishing system, reefer/freezer, large battery bank, inverter/charger, generator, complete navigation electronics and chartplotter/radar and much other stuff.

Later models had as standard OEM equipment washer/dryer, isolation transformers, a second anchor and chain, additional tankage, SSB and other stuff.

So for us, we have added an SSB/Pactor and a few consumer electronics to our OEM boat. Since I only have to account for things that are not OEM, I'm guessing 100lbs maximum in equipment.

I own one pair of flip-flops, one pair of Keens and some board shorts and T-shirts. If things ever get cold, I also own one pair of jeans and a thin sweat shirt. Altogether, I'm guessing my wardrobe at 5lbs. Michele, of course, seems to have an "outfit" for every day and every occasion. I'm going to estimate her wardrobe at 25lbs. So make the clothing total between us 30lbs.

Our boat completely empty with OEM equipment weighs 16,500lbs, and we are currently at 19,000lbs (yes, we are a heavy catamaran, so the peanut gallery can just hold back the "condomaran" comments). So 2,000lbs/couple seems about right for us (there are two of us on board with everything we own in the world).

The clothes weigh next to nothing. I estimate in cruising mode we are probably carrying around 1,000lbs of provisions. The rest must be in spares, cooking/eating utensils, etc. We don't have jerry jugs on deck, but carry 2 propane tanks and up to 12gal of gasoline for the dinghy.

Books, CD's and DVD's? Do people actually still have these things? That is what hard drives are for. We have a few reference books and service manuals, but all other media is electronic - more music than we can possibly listen to, more books than we can possibly read, and more movies than we can possibly watch are all on a 2TB drive. With a cloned backup.

When we were forced to upgrade all of our electronics, I ripped out miles and tons of old OEM wiring and replaced with a single cable NMEA2000 network. That probably saved a few pounds. The watermaker means that we don't have to set off on a passage filled with 850lbs of water. The large solar means that we don't have to carry extra fuel to provide power.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 19:57   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I am just pleased the thread is not about toilet habits

It would too depressing to add up all the weight, but 900kg would only scratch the surface.

(Just a technical note even "light displacement" normally includes tanks 1/2 full)
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 23:49   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Delancy,

This is an interesting question, but I'd submit that it is boat size dependent, and cruising grounds dependent.

Our boat is 8.5 metric tons empty and the book says we can add 2.5 metric tons.

For our coastal cruising, we don't have a targa bar, divots etc. We also leave our 6 man liftraft at home (its the baltic - we won't be spending days at sea in a raft.)

Without knowing for sure, I'd guess when we sail off for 4 weeks each summer, we're adding say 1.5 metric tons (water, fuels, food, clothes, wine, beer, charts, books and every other little thing I can possibly imagine) Maybe the 1.5 is a little high. SAy 1 metric ton.

Preparing for our RTW, I'm doing a lot of work with our total weight, Now we add, a targa bar, windvane, solar cells, liftraft, outboard motor, dinghy, lots more food and extra water, spare, tools, extra fuel, tons more charts and books, etc. I have no doubt that we will be pushing the 2.5 tons load limit on the boat.

I'm not concerned with the total weight - more about where the hell I'm going to find room to store everything!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 00:17   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Ask someone who still has a day job how to calculate the TPCI ( tonnes per centimetre immersion) for your boat.
I can take 500 kg fuel, 400 kg water, and tucker for 3 months, plus me @100kg and assorted crew and not see much of a diff in the waterline.
What I do know is that shifting a bit of serious chain from the 'garden shed' ( down the back... sort of) to the front of the boat ..ie 70 metres 10mm.. will trim her by the head...
Old 21-03-2014, 00:23   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpegasus View Post
39 ft waterline, assume beam of 12 ft and fairly slender lines, 5 inches comes to around 7-8000 lbs
Thanks for that... gives me a sense of what we removed from our boat.

When we bought our boat I spent the first week going back and forth from the boat to the rubbish skip at the yard with a wheelbarrow. On each trip I stopped by the chandlery to see if I could gift anything to them. They said yes to about half a barrow load, the rest went in the bin.

Our boat now sits two or three inches higher in the water, 36 foot waterline... 12 foot beam, not so slender lines.... I guess around 3000 pounds removed...?

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 00:27   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Mustafa Bin lots of stuff on your boat