Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2021, 02:18   #31

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: How long would you feel comfortable leaving your boat on anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyway View Post
For what it’s worth. There is large multihull that has been anchored in the ICW for two years now almost to the day out in front of my house. It’s a nice big boat and has survived everything thrown at it since November 2019. It sit just out of the channel in unprotected water. As far as I know the owner passed away on the boat and it’s been unattended ever since.
Interesting. Pictures? Maybe someone can relive her and track the owners family down to do so?
Old 07-11-2021, 06:03   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

DMF Sailing : "paying for sn expensive Ball."

You never have been to Croatia. The fine you with 40€ for as ball and up to 120€ for a marina berth. 40- ft and yes, not per week, per day!

And if you do not use a ball and try to anchor they ruin your teakdeck by throwing wasteoil on it at night.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:08   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post

You never have been to Croatia. The fine you with 40€ for as ball and up to 120€ for a marina berth. 40- ft and yes, not per week, per day!

And if you do not use a ball and try to anchor they ruin your teakdeck by throwing wasteoil on it at night.

Yeah it’s why everyone decamped to Greece damnit.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:09   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yeah it’s why everyone decamped to Greece damnit.
Unfortunately not, especially the bareboat charters (most of the companies are fraudolent, in spite of small damages, nowadays.)

I am lucky. I do have an asylum where I can repair and upgrade my boat myself without any f...in marina troubles. And for this, greece is way off - unfortunately.

When I go out I try to anchor and to avoid restaurants, marinas, buoys and the so called "Natureparks". Just another way to jail us to marinas and buoys and to hijack us.

I.e. Lastovo: we paid 25 kunas per person and day which was OK so far.
Nowadays we have to pay 100 kunas (15€) per person and day.

In Croatia you get bed and breakfast for 120 kunas at ease.

OK sorry - off topic
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:58   #35
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Unfortunately not, especially the bareboat charters (most of the companies are fraudolent, in spite of small damages, nowadays.)

I am lucky. I do have an asylum where I can repair and upgrade my boat myself without any f...in marina troubles. And for this, greece is way off - unfortunately.

When I go out I try to anchor and to avoid restaurants, marinas, buoys and the so called "Natureparks". Just another way to jail us to marinas and buoys and to hijack us.

I.e. Lastovo: we paid 25 kunas per person and day which was OK so far.
Nowadays we have to pay 100 kunas (15€) per person and day.

In Croatia you get bed and breakfast for 120 kunas at ease.

OK sorry - off topic

You pay 15 a day now in most town docks in the Greek Ionian. That’s before water and electricity and you use your own anchor !!!
Old 07-11-2021, 09:06   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:

I free anchor Dubrovnik,Korcula,NP Mljet,Hvar all town,Brac all town,Vis all town,Solta all town main land all town, Split port most expensive place totaly free. but i have chart and i know reed chart also navionics digital chart help.

my fleet is on free anchor and town all winter without problem. sometime port autorithy make me order for move boat. but i simply switch boat from one place to another. Like you in Austria when go to ski you know wher is free parking but i must pay 4-5€ hour.
why austrian charge ski track,good give snow and you steel my money and want i pay to ski on mountain
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 17:53   #37

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:

I have never been to Croatia.

There are two marinas in Provincetown (the harbor in my example) that offer moorings. For a 40-foot boat, one costs $78 a night, and the other $124. Pretty sure that's more than 40 Euros.

For a marina birth in that harbor I've paid as much as $8 a foot, which is $320. Pretty sure that's more than 120 Euros.

Now as for the waste oil, yeah, that's never happened to me. Priceless.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 18:46   #38

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkeys View Post
So, this is incredibly vague question up for interpretation but I’m just so curious as to the laws of anchoring while cruising.

Let’s say this, would you feel comfortable leaving your boat on an anchorage for a weekend if the weather was unremarkable?
Last time I looked, there was no insurance company that covered your boat on anchor, unattended for more than a few hours at a time. There may be your answer.

For us, if we are just ashore, being able to see the boat regularly, then a day. A night - no way.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:12   #39

I’m getting old. I forgot I had a boat on a mooring for five years when I lived in Annapolis. I guess I got used to it, although it was close enough to my home that I could check on it with a two minute drive anytime I felt like it.

Tags
anchor, boat