Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2011, 19:08   #16

Boat: looking
Adax,
There are a lot of decent boats up & down the west coast in your suggested purchase price range. As you can appreciate, as the size increases, costs expand exponentially. So many boats have been on the market for so long that I don't think it unreasonable to seriously low-ball the broker/seller. If the subject boat is "the one", you can always "up" the offer if it's turned down. If you want to learn more about steel boats/how they're built, Wynand has an excellent site on steel boatbuilding at: Steel Boatbuilding | Steel Boatbuilding
As I recall, that boat at Maz Marine has supposedly been out of the water for half it's life, so you may find both the hull & rig in good shape for it's age.
Best of luck in your search!(just don't get between me & the boat I want!)

Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 19:23   #17

Boat: Tartan 30
Adex, you have a lot to think about... I don't know how other people do it, but it took me a few years to decide what I really wanted... I still didn't end up with my "perfect" boat, but I got something that will accomplish my most immediate goals....

Take your time... It doesn't have to take years, but it also doesn't have to be tomorrow... If your visa runs out, there are more boats in CA than almost anywhere else.... slow down
Old 24-01-2011, 19:23   #18

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Thanks Mike ,looking at that page right now.And yes you are right the boat has been out of the water for years .

Getting between you and your boat? I think location makes ita safe bet that I won't
Old 24-01-2011, 19:26   #19

I can´t deny that you got a point there , callme crazy.
Old 24-01-2011, 19:29   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
As there is already a thread how crazy is this I opted for the loco question.

So here's the question

Budget : 35k
The idea: a bluewater boat for 20-25 K and 10 k to restore as a live aboard and later sail away .

Sailing credentials none, was thinking I could get RYA course remotely and move nearer the sea for a while and crew / look for boats .

What say you ? What would you recommend apart from sailing lessons, which I will take ? Bearing in mind that once I have a boat (if I do) I can concentrate on sailing literally all day coupled with freelance work to buy tortillas . What would it take to get this girl cruising and in what timeframe?

PS : I know bad timing as it is hurricane season by the time this should all go over. And no I am not running away to sea . Just thinking if not now then when.

It sounds like you want to invest all of your assests into a vehicle you don't have the knowledge and experience to use in the way it was intended, and don't have enough experience to determine it this is really the life you want to lead. Yep, LOCO. That said, people have jumped into major sailing with even less experience. You're an adult so only you can decide how much you want this and how much you are going to risk.

Several questions come to mind.
A) Are you looking for a place to live and thinking a boat would do the trick as well as providing a lifestyle change and an adventure?
b) Do you have regular crew in mind that could help you get the boat back to the US?

If you are set on jumping in the deep end here's another boat to consider: 1966 CAL Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com , right place, right price, right pedigree, don't know what shape it really in.
CAL 36 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

If you want to take a more measured approach to this I would suggest buying a used Laser for $1-2k plus assories like life jacket and racks to cartop the boat. Self rescuing, lots available, parts still available from the manufacturer, good resail, easy & cheap to store, best way to learn to SAIL as opposed to cruising which involves a whole lot of other things like anchoring, storm management etc.

If you don't like the idea of getting so wet I'd go with a Holder 20. Boat and trailer should be around 1300lb, so trailerable by all but the smallest subcompacts, cuddy cabin for overnighting, $1-4k, Hobie (maker) is still in business, though the boat is so long out of production I don't know if they are offering stock parts anymore, simple to rig and derig.

Whatever route you take in the future, start practicing and learning now with whatever opportunities are at hand.

Good Luck
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 19:42   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Fine toothed comb?

If you are really interested in the Van de Stadt you need to go over every inch of the hull and deck inside and out, particularly along chines, frames and stringers.

Particularly check the lazarette and the forepeak.

If there is a competant welder available who can do nice stainless work that's a plus, and if abrasive blasting can be done it's always nice to have it in reserve.

Also check that there is a dodger and a bimini. These are expensive, tricky and time consuming to get right. Same applies to autopilot/wind vane, plotter, VHF...

When negotiating price try to keep the owner sweet so all the nice "goodies" that they may have for the boat are included in the deal.

And a surveyor is still necesary after all this, if only to keep the rose coloured glasses under control.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 19:47   #22

Adelie, thanks for your input there .
I will clear up a bit of confusion .
I am not from the US, German by birth a long time ago with passport to prove it still, but formative years really lived in England, so yes the US is a possibilty, but I will have time restrictions wherever I go, except Europe.

But it is a definite yes to lifestyle change ,adventure and living. I would find it horrible to own a boat and not leave the marina, which is why initally a 40 footer scares me, but I have never owned the smallest or the most girlie cars. Neither have I made middle of the road choices in my life,well most of the time .

That CAL you posted is a very solid choice and its equipment is excellent. thank you for bringing it to my attention . I was going to say that it does not raise my BP, but when I read the specs I did feel a flutter .Good enough...

And I am not proposing to go cruising in April ,this year anyway . But I don´t want to do a trailer sailor as that would eat into my savings without tangible benefits .What I mean is by the time I pay for accommodation and trailering I will have little lefty to get a more seagoing boat . I am not proposing to go around the Horn any time soon though. If I have a boat that needs moving from the US let´s say I will pay someone to move it and make it part of my experience gathering by crewing on my own boat.
Old 24-01-2011, 20:17   #23

Boracay,if I do get serious about that boat I will bear all that in mind . Got my nose in Yachtworld at the moment as there are boats I have not considered but as circumstances have changed I might now.
Old 25-01-2011, 04:22   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
Boracay,if I do get serious about that boat I will bear all that in mind . Got my nose in Yachtworld at the moment as there are boats I have not considered but as circumstances have changed I might now.
Do a web search for used sailboats; sailboats for sale; and other variations such as adding location. You will find a lot of sailboats for sale by the owners who are finished cruising and are now returning to land. Some of these boats are real gems for great prices. Cutting out the "middle man" and buying from the owner can save thousands. Generally I found the boats in the glossy magazines are prices from half again to double the actual selling price. And the real bargain gems just aren't there.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 05:21   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Adax... I think the main reason that 40ftrs been so long selling is the fact she's steel... as you can see from the previous posts its not a popular material...
But... the French have been turning out great steel boats for a long time and they are very good at it... from reading the bumph she was well built and prepped and if she's been on land as much she should be in great shape overall... but like most things.. you never really know till you look and touch in person...
I learnt to sail in 27 & 32ft boats so know it can be done just as well... learning in Dinghy's is not 'De-rigueur'....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 18:56   #26

I still have a good feeling about the Van de stadt . Seems reliable ,not sexy but reliable . Won´t do anything for a couple of days though, not feeling very functional .
Old 25-01-2011, 19:00   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It's probably not going anywhere in a hurry ... no need for you to either.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 19:18   #28

Boat: Prout Manta 38
We have bought boats that have been sitting for a while. Our experience is that, among other things, all the rubber bits harden up over time. They may last for a little while when the boat goes back in the water (a day, a week, a month) and then fail. So be aware that you may need to replace some or of all the hoses and gaskets on the boat. Electronics and batteries also don't seem to age well.

On the other hand, lots of other stuff is quite happy to sit around and wait and a little used boat can clean up very nicely.

Kimarah
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 20:17   #29

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
I personally would buy the best boat you can afford, speaking from experience even when you can do the work yourself you never add that much value to the boat.
I'm told it's regarded as maintenance.
Look around and find something that has had the hard work done but is not that aesthetically pleasing and you could do alright.
But make sure you buy a seaworthy design because all the money in the world can’t fix a badly designed boat.
Good luck, persistence will get there, but patience will reward you.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 21:49   #30

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Why not look at some of the Catalina 38s in Calafornia listed on Yachtworld they look like great value.

S&S design with US build quality, loads of gear and around $30K.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing