Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2011, 21:51   #1

Boat: Silverton 42
How Do You Like Being Overtaken by a Power Boat ?

I like to think that I'm a polite power boater. I typically cruise my 42' power boat at 21 knots. I have a sizable wake at this speed. So... How do you want me to pass you when I'm coming up behind you and be specific about speed differentials and distance and how do you want me to pass you when we're heading in opposite directions (again, be specific). Thanks and cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 22:05   #2

Re: How do you like being overtaken by a powerboat?

I own much oil stock. And sail a very stable boat. So do not ever back off on the speed.

More distance the better. At least a 100 meters away if possible. Across to bow is always better. And there may be trailing fishing gear as well.

I like how powerboaters often think they are so fast can easily cross my bow ... only to find I'm doing 10 knots and they end up turning 45 degrees off course just to get by when doing nothing would have let them pass far astern.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 22:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I agree with the "more distance the better" statement for the open waters, but many passing events occur in narrower channels. During these times it's best for the power vessel to maintain speed until nearly abeam and then slow for a pass. I don't mind a quick spank on the quarter for a moderate wake. Most overtaking vessels on the East US Coast ICW inquire on the VHF wether the vessel that is being passed would care to slow for an easy pass.
Old 29-09-2011, 00:01   #4

If you pull up on me from behind I will throttle back to 0 and you can go by slow with no wake Other wise keep as much distance as possible Thank you
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 00:09   #5

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lee View Post
I like to think that I'm a polite power boater. I typically cruise my 42' power boat at 21 knots. I have a sizable wake at this speed. So... How do you want me to pass you when I'm coming up behind you and be specific about speed differentials and distance and how do you want me to pass you when we're heading in opposite directions (again, be specific). Thanks and cheers,
Bill
Go on... 'fess up. You're not really a power boater are you...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 00:22   #6

Boat: Looking for a new boat

You know a lot of times slowing down will actually pull up more of a wake then if you were going faster and on a plane. There is a certain psychological affect from someone going by at high speed that is very abrasive. I think lots of distance is good.

It is more important to me that you don't pull wake when I am in and anchorage or mooring field. When you are underway you expect some motion but it can really suck when you are trying to stay still and relax. Don't spill the beer!
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 00:29   #7

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

There are about 2,000 powerboats in Marina del Rey and none of them ever seem to leave the dock. However, every once in a while one will come blasting by. As far as distance, the farther the better. As far as speed, the faster the better. The sooner you're gone the happier I'll be.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 00:48   #8

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

When I'm sleeping aboard, please slow to 1/2 a knot, turn down the Van Halen, put the Morning Bud Light in the cute little foam thingy that says World's Greatest Boater so it doesn't bang around loudy, and whisper as you pass at 300 yards. If I'm underway, anything goes as long as you don't hit me.
Thanks.
Old 29-09-2011, 03:45   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Bill

Hey thanks for asking!

It is hard to explain because there are so many "what ifs". Take a look behind you to see what your wake looks like and consider how it is going to rock the boats around you. Keep in mind that if the wind is behind the sailboat that the rocking from the wake will be a bigger problem to it. And if the wind is light that a wake will also effect it badly.

Don't always try to race to beat the sailpoint to the X, its OK to past behind us once in a while.

Ask your sailing friends in the marina if you can go out with them on a day sail and experience what it is like to them.
Old 29-09-2011, 04:00   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The passing boat comes off plane directly astern of the slower boat, quartering his wake to either side. At the same time, the boat being passed goes into neutral, greatly slowing down.
The overtaking boat then passes at his best displacement speed.
As soon as he is past, the passed boat turns into the passing boat’s wake, and both resume their former speeds.

It doesn't hurt for the slower boat to indicate that he will be going into neutral, upon the faster boats approach & radio contact.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 04:14   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Bill
The more distance the better (500 hundred metres / yards +), gives me a chance to see the size of your wake (and either turn into or away from - or not)...........not too worried about the speed, it is what it is (and I don't expect a power boat to drop to displacement speed anyway).

Although most folk will look behind them before tacking, not everyone will - so a bit of distance works in your favour as well.

Overall I just see it as one of those things that simply need to be dealt with, we are all on the water to enjoy ourselves - some have simply made bad choices of boat .........and to be honest, no matter what you do I will still be questioning your parentage and laughing at your fuel bills

I would say that the above is for a larger / heavier sailing boat - if you are dealing with a small sailing boat, and you know the effect of your wake - either back off the speed to the point the wake decreases, or give them a very wide berth (so your wake has a chance to lessen).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 04:28   #12

When I am in the chanel drawing 6 foot in 8 foot of water I would like to be passed with no wake at all. It is not a good feeling in this situation with a stink boat bearing down with a 4 foot wake. I have been known to make rude comments on the VHF when it does happen but never seem to get a reply or a backwards glance. And yes if I am at the same marina or anchoredge, I will come over and have words. Sling shots and sinkers will be next.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 04:42   #13

Boat: Ohlson 38

If underway, my teenagers and I rather enjoy a good waking. We're actually disappointed if a powerboater slows down and cheats us of our roller coaster ride. Surely we can't be the only ones?

Being waked while at anchor is another story. I've been injured when my head was smashed against a bronze portlight due to an unusually large wake from a coast guard vessel.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 05:14   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I own much oil stock. And sail a very stable boat. So do not ever back off on the speed.

More distance the better. At least a 100 meters away if possible. Across to bow is always better. And there may be trailing fishing gear as well.

I like how powerboaters often think they are so fast can easily cross my bow ... only to find I'm doing 10 knots and they end up turning 45 degrees off course just to get by when doing nothing would have let them pass far astern.
But not everyone has such stable boats. My last boat was a little tippy cup, and when a tour boat designed to create a wake for dolphins went by (just leaving the marina) he threw things all over my cabin -- things that never went flying. And he was moving at a lower speed (but way too fast for a low wake zone).

It's both our jobs to notice other boats around us, but if we're in a channel, I'll move to the right and you move to the left so I have a chance to turn into your wake. We can't expect you to slow down to 5 knots but give us room to do what we can about it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 05:16   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
You know a lot of times slowing down will actually pull up more of a wake then if you were going faster and on a plane. There is a certain psychological affect from someone going by at high speed that is very abrasive. I think lots of distance is good.

It is more important to me that you don't pull wake when I am in and anchorage or mooring field. When you are underway you expect some motion but it can really suck when you are trying to stay still and relax. Don't spill the beer!

I agree with you that's the more important issue, because you may be on the porta-potty, or cooking ... Those big wakes can really toss the chachkes of your life around the cabin (you know -- alarm clocks, cats ... small children ...)
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat