Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 10:16   #46

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK
Re: How do you handle being sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats like asking me to believe a Yacht Broker..
HAHA!!!! Where's the like button when you need it.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:27   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How do you handle being sick.

You know that all mammals synthesize their own vitamin C except for primates and guinea pigs and maybe bats? Theory is these have large amounts of vitamin c in their diet and have no need to produce their own, except now humans do not consume high amounts of vitamin c anymore.
Interestingly if you just start taking large doses of vitamin c, your blood ascorbate level increases, but if you continue with these large doses, it decreases.
The study of vitamin c and the common cold is how we discovered zincs effect on the cold, you see commonly available vitamin c tablets were contaminated from the zinc on the machines that made the pills.
There is a lot of data,that supports high dosage of vitamin c on a continual basis and your health, but just like other common chemicals no drug company can make money off of it like they can a patented drug.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 13:48   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
Pauling's vitamin C theories have been debunked. Despite many years of scientific research, vitamin C has not been proven to ward off the common cold. Millions of people believe it, and practice it, but anecdoctal evidence is not scientific evidence. This well researched article is a very good place to start:

The Dark Side of Linus Pauling's Legacy

Most modern docs have had a lot of chemistry in undergrad and grad school, and have almost certainly heard of Pauling. The reason they don't "prescribe" Vitamin C at dosages above the Recommended Daily Allowance is that it doesn't work. Even the Linus Pauling Institute agrees with the consensus RDA for vitamin C.
You got it totally wrong.

Pauling's vitamin C theories have NOT been debunked. They have been "debunked" with distortions and lies by conventional medicine and its loyal ignorant minions.

With almost total certainty you can bet on, the people who call Pauling's theories unsubstantiated or ridicule Pauling are either (1) pawns and hacks of the massive business of conventional medicine, (2) unwitting people who repeat their propaganda, (3) people who never actually looked deeply into Pauling's work and dietary supplements, or (4) people who fall into a combination of the former categories.

Primarily it is the corrupt BUSINESS of orthodox medicine and their salespeople who keep ridiculing Pauling as some deluded quack Nobel Prize winner. And it doesn't take a genius to see why: Pauling had been threatening the huge bottom line of big corporate medicine. Here is a good current example of a hack MD who has been discrediting Pauling and supplements with disinformation and lies: read The True Facts about Vitamins, Side Effects of Dietary Supplements, and Dr. Linus Pauling

Gaining a good understanding of this nonsense and politics behind the continuous anti-supplement "studies" and news is worthwhile as not to become an unwitting victim of the propaganda disseminated by the pseudoscientific anti-supplement zealots.

Speaking of pseudoscientific anti-supplement zealots...

The link you provided to the quackwatch site as "proof" against Pauling's notions goes to a propaganda site run by the corrupt conventional medical business that publishes highly biased twisted misleading false pseudoscientific articles to discredit any remedy NOT coming from corporate medicine (for the truth about this fraudulent site read The Dark Side of Quackwatch.com ). You cannot discredit the truth with junk science and lies. Although the criminal medical business tries to do this on a daily basis. "Discrediting" the truth only reveals and discredits the liars.

Also, some scholars have alerted the public about the fact that since Linus Pauling left the Linus Pauling Institute it has changed dramatically and much of what they're now recommending isn't what Pauling had supported and advocated.
Ahoyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 14:15   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Availability of flu vaccine may be limited to elders in certain areas, and in any event, is seasonal. Life is different outside the US. At the time we got the flu, we were too young to take advantage of a flu shot, and never even considered it. It's easy in the States, harder elsewhere. I think blaming someone for getting sick in 1992, today, is unkind.

The time we got the flu, we were too sick with it to continue on, we never even kept watch! Too weak to get up the companionway. Heck, I had to rest on the settee on the way from the quarterberth to the head! It was frightening because I couldn't even keep a sip of water down for quite a while. Actually, my most frightening event at sea.

However, it only happened the one time that we were incapacitated, in 30 yrs. of cruising.

We did find ourselves with amoebas after leaving Mexico, but carried the metranizadole [flagyl] to treat it/them with. Was not nearly as serious as the flu was.

Ann
Old 02-01-2017, 04:17   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahoyla View Post
... The link you provided to the quackwatch site as "proof" against Pauling's notions goes to a propaganda site run by the corrupt conventional medical business that publishes highly biased twisted misleading false pseudoscientific articles to discredit any remedy NOT coming from corporate medicine (for the truth about this fraudulent site read The Dark Side of Quackwatch.com ). ...
What Salvatore Anthony D'Onofrio, D.N.,D.D. (The protagonist in The Dark Side of Quackwatch.com article) himself claims to do and to NOT do.
http://www.healthguardians.com/Infor...nsent-Form.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:29   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingguy View Post
How does everyone handle being sick at sea? Im not taking about sea sickness but more like the flu and colds?

How about if you are going single handed, how would you handle it?

Thanks
1) Head for port.

2) Stay in port.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:45   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
What Salvatore Anthony D'Onofrio, D.N.,D.D. (The protagonist in The Dark Side of Quackwatch.com article) himself claims to do and to NOT do.
http://www.healthguardians.com/Infor...nsent-Form.pdf
ROTDLMAO!

The epitome of a quack!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 22:45   #53

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
ROTDLMAO!

The epitome of a quack!
OK, I'll take the bait, what does this mean "ROTDLMAO!" ?
However, it's not nearly as confusing as the content of the quoted link which is full of spelling/ punctuation errors and strange accreditations,e.g.,"Dr D'Onofrio ,DN DD" Now keep in mind the above "Dr" title as you read the consent form (from the link) until coming upon this caveat with the "Dr"omitted:
"7. Salvatore Anthony D'Onofrio, D.N.,D.D., is NOT a medical doctor, nor portrays himself as such."
This is way off topic,I apologise and will refrain from doing so again for at least six months.
Old 02-01-2017, 23:12   #54

My practitioner is Dr. Vinny Boombatz. He also took care of the late Rodney Dangerfield.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 00:02   #55

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Capt. Gill,

RODLMAO means rolling on deck laughing my ass off.

Ann
Old 03-01-2017, 00:13   #56

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Capt. Gill,

RODLMAO means rolling on deck laughing my ass off.

Ann
Such unlady like language! Ann. Oh my!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 00:18   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
OK, I'll take the bait, what does this mean "ROTDLMAO!" ?
Rolling On The Deck, Laughing My Ass Off.

Quote:
However, it's not nearly as confusing as the content of the quoted link which is full of spelling/ punctuation errors and strange accreditations,e.g.,"Dr D'Onofrio ,DN DD"
DN = Doctor of Naturopathy (A quack discipline combining religion and dubious medical practices)
DD = Doctor of Divinity (The sort of degree you can get online from ULC etc just by filling out an online form)

Edit: Correction, Doctor of Naturopathy is ND, not DN.
This guys DN is Doctor of Nutripathy - that's the real quack one.

Edit 2: There is only one place I can find where you can get a DN, they come from a degree mill in Scotsdale Arizona which doesn't even have a website.
Old 03-01-2017, 00:45   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just for giggles:

Old Ads Are Funny: 1984 ad: Become a Doctor of Nutripathy

Old 03-01-2017, 11:52   #59

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Decide on just how sick you are. If there is a reasonable chance it's impacting your functioning get to shore ASAP. If you do not feel well enough to safely sail get to an anchorage If no better in a day or two a call for help. On the other hand, if it seems like a common cold or the flue, cut your work day, self medicate and drink lots of fluids. Just about the same rules as should you stay home or go to work but you should err on the side of safety.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:14   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Yep, ages ago I got the flu shot for a number of years, & each year I got super sick. Including 104deg fever, in the hospital where the MD calls your family type sick. But since then no shots, & not sick at all.

Note that for me at least, if I start to notice feeling run down, Echinacea helps my body to stop anything such as a cold from even becoming a footnote in my medical history. Taking it for a couple of days seems to work wonders, so it's more than worth keeping some on hand.

The other good remedy/preventative is a hot toddy. Some lemon tea with a shot of scotch, or rum, & lots of honey. It too seems to help to stop any bug trying to take hold if you catch it early.

The catching things early being a key factor in getting sick or not. For me the red flag is a scratchy throat. What's yours?
Mine is pretty much the same, less scratchy than just a tightness. Usually feel it in the sinuses first.

Echinacea is great.

I like the hot toddy taste much better though, so usually follow one with the other!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote