Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 23:02   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How do you handle being sick.

Yes, carrying antibiotics is definitely a good thing, but at sea, if it is a virus, antibiotics are useless, and one has to survive.

@ UNCIVILIZED: scratchy throat, yes, but sudden onset of flu can be diarrhea, and it takes a while to realize seasick does not include that symptom!

My personal thoughts are that one does what one can to boost one's immune system, when under viral attack. Some maladies, you can tell if they're likely bacterial--at which point those meds you've brought will help you--but if viral, it's between your immune system and them, and then, vit. C., natural sources of zinc (like Brazil nuts), and whatever else you have educated yourself towards, that is the way to go. Fresh citrus juices are good sources of vit. C., and telling yourself that your body will use the stuff you give it for healing, also helps. Positive ideation (thinking) does help. Amazing, but it does! ;-)

Ann
Old 01-01-2017, 02:33   #32

Boat: Able 50

The best cure for a cold or flu at sea is to cook it because viruses cannot handle heat. Rug up to the point of overkill and sweat it out. If that means wearing a ski parka in summer then do it.

It works.

Ann Cate is right. Antibiotics don't work on a virus. Regrettably, way too many people use antibiotics in a vain attempt to cure a viral ailment.

While I'm here, flu shots are a scam intended to relieve the gullible of their money. You don't need them.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:32   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How do you handle being sick.

No, flu shots work, for the strains that they are, no way they can cover all strains of course.
However, most of the time we say we have they flu, we don't. The flu can be a killer, especially if your not 20 yrs old and in top condition.

Flu is a killer, ever heard of the Spanish flu of 1918? I believe it killed as many as 10% of the ones infected, it killed more people than died in WWI. It killed more than the Black Death did.

https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/

Take the shot, it could possibly save your life, and if enough of us take the shots, we might could just avoid another pandemic.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:05   #34

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, flu shots work, for the strains that they are, no way they can cover all strains of course.
However, most of the time we say we have they flu, we don't. The flu can be a killer, especially if your not 20 yrs old and in top condition.

Flu is a killer, ever heard of the Spanish flu of 1918? I believe it killed as many as 10% of the ones infected, it killed more people than died in WWI. It killed more than the Black Death did.

https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/

Take the shot, it could possibly save your life, and if enough of us take the shots, we might could just avoid another pandemic.
This.

One of my pet peeves is when someone tells me they were sick with the flu and it's obvious they had a cold instead. I've had the real flu three times in my life - in my teens, in my 20's , and in my 40's. The last time I could easily see how the flu can kill. I remember in particular telling Mr. Cthoops two things at the time: "If I get the flu when I'm in my 90's, it's going to kill me", and "If I still feel like this in two more weeks I'll prefer to be dead." I truly meant it.

I had stopped getting the flu shot out of laziness until this last bout. Now I'm first in line. No, it's not 100% effective, but I'm not going to pass up something that reduces my risk of going through that again.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:31   #35
SFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
... I believe Dr. Pauling is the only individual, or one of very few to win 2 Nobel Peace Prizes solo for his work. Unfortunately most modern docs have never heard of him or high dose Vitamin C therapy . I won't comment on what could possibly be the reasons for that.
Although Pauling IS the only person to win two unshared Nobel prizes, no one has ever won two Nobel Peace Prizes. Pauling was awarded a Nobel in Chemistry in 1954, and in Peace in 1962. (However, he did not actually receive the Peace Prize until 1963, due to the Nobel committee's view that none of the nominees in 1962 met the criteria establish by Alfred Nobel in his will.)

Pauling's vitamin C theories have been debunked. Despite many years of scientific research, vitamin C has not been proven to ward off the common cold. Millions of people believe it, and practice it, but anecdoctal evidence is not scientific evidence. This well researched article is a very good place to start:

The Dark Side of Linus Pauling's Legacy

Most modern docs have had a lot of chemistry in undergrad and grad school, and have almost certainly heard of Pauling. The reason they don't "prescribe" Vitamin C at dosages above the Recommended Daily Allowance is that it doesn't work. Even the Linus Pauling Institute agrees with the consensus RDA for vitamin C.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:02   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How do you handle being sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Haven't had an antibiotic in many years, though I still get sick occasionally. Years ago, I read some of Dr. Linus Pauling's work on high dose Vitamin C. It truly is miraculous! The theory (should be a law) is that when you get sick your body goes into a state similar to scurvy. Basically, the body will utilize great amounts of C to help beat whatever is ailing you.

I believe Dr. Pauling is the only individual, or one of very few to win 2 Nobel Peace Prizes solo for his work. Unfortunately most modern docs have never heard of him or high dose Vitamin C therapy . I won't comment on what could possibly be the reasons for that.

Basically, when you get sick you titrate your body up to bowel tolerance using ascorbic acid powder (1 g/hr or more as needed with plenty of fluids) and maintain that for the duration of your illness. What was a 10 day infection with or without antibiotics is now gone in 2 days. You still feel like crap, but for a lot less time. When you start feeling better, taper off over the next day or two and then maintain a gram or two a day as a maintenance dose. Ascorbic acid powder is easily obtained at a health food store or even on Amazon of all places.

There's a website called DoctorYourself.com: Andrew Saul's Natural Health Website It's somewhat commercialized but you can glean quite a bit of information from it.

Good luck,
Only time I consume Man Made Antibiotics is when I have a Chicken Dinner..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:05   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
Although Pauling IS the only person to win two unshared Nobel prizes, no one has ever won two Nobel Peace Prizes. Pauling was awarded a Nobel in Chemistry in 1954, and in Peace in 1962. (However, he did not actually receive the Peace Prize until 1963, due to the Nobel committee's view that none of the nominees in 1962 met the criteria establish by Alfred Nobel in his will.)

Pauling's vitamin C theories have been debunked. Despite many years of scientific research, vitamin C has not been proven to ward off the common cold. Millions of people believe it, and practice it, but anecdoctal evidence is not scientific evidence. This well researched article is a very good place to start:

Most modern docs have had a lot of chemistry in undergrad and grad school, and have almost certainly heard of Pauling. The reason they don't "prescribe" Vitamin C at dosages above the Recommended Daily Allowance is that it doesn't work. Even the Linus Pauling Institute agrees with the consensus RDA for vitamin C.
Indeed!
Thank you.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:09   #38
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I told my psychiatrist I've been hearing voices.

She said I don't have a psychiatrist.
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:10   #39
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A brief overview in Scientific American that mentions and debunks (very briefly) a few things that may interest readers of this topic (Vitamin C, Echinacea, etc.).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-feed-a-cold/
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:15   #40

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingguy View Post
How does everyone handle being sick at sea? Im not taking about sea sickness but more like the flu and colds?

How about if you are going single handed, how would you handle it?

Thanks
Brandy & Breath-Right strips, plus that warm blanket.
Keeping in mind the BWI thing.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:30   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How do you handle being sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
A brief overview in Scientific American that mentions and debunks (very briefly) a few things that may interest readers of this topic (Vitamin C, Echinacea, etc.).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...n-feed-a-cold/
Thats like asking me to believe a Yacht Broker..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:30   #42

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

Wow! This really took a bird walk from what to do when you get sick at sea to How to prevent/ treat illnesses. Viruses vs bacterial infections...
I laugh at some of these remedies and "facts " which I hear daily.

When you get sick at sea, do you heave too, continue sailing as usual, vary your watch, drift, etc
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:51   #43

Boat: Lancer 45... 45

A64 it's prob not the best idea for the alcohol but the increase in body temp definitely will shorten your ailment. I find that the alcohol calms my nerves and helps me rest. I am positive all of us here when anchored have projects running through our mind constantly and this is the reason I drink
SetsunaSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:40   #44

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingguy View Post
How does everyone handle being sick at sea? Im not taking about sea sickness but more like the flu and colds?

How about if you are going single handed, how would you handle it?

Thanks
The first thing that anyone who goes offshore should do with respect to health is take a decent First Aid/CPR course, preferably one with a marine segment. In the US, many fire departments in busy boating cities offer such a course, taught by EMTs. The focus is on trauma and emergency care, logically enough.

Pack a good med kit. Not a cheap little box from Walmart or CVS. A little research will turn up good info on what to include.

Second, made sure you're in good health to begin with, getting a check up beforehand if feasible, and visit your dentist. Few things are worse than serious tooth issues when you're offshore. Also, if you ask your doctor will throw in a few prescriptions for antibiotics and stronger pain killers for your med kit.

As for contagious stuff, as noted the likelihood is low unless you catch it before you leave. I usually pay a bit more attention (hand washing, avoiding kids with runny noses, etc.) during the week before I depart on any longer passage.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:08   #45

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post

To each their own. I have, on many occasions, seen and experienced the effects of high dose vitamin C during illness. The result being a much shorter duration of the illness. I'll keep doing what I am doing and let the rest do what they want to. Truth is self evident. As far as doctors prescribing it goes, the whole idea is to stay out of the doctors office unless absolutely necessary. Why give them your money if you don't need to? Can I get an Amen?
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote