Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2019, 15:30   #46
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: How Do We Keep Our Old Bodys Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I disagree with this. I have started lifting heavy again and am putting on muscle mass, improving my fitness and feeling healthy. Working on my pullups now that my chin ups are coming along nicely.
I guess the reason I say this is that I never stopped. My pull-ups and chin-ups don't need work because I never stopped rock climbing, climbing at work, or really anything. I've been a cyclist non-stop, and an active sailor non-stop. So the notion that I can be more fit than I was at 30, 40, or 50 is silly. My skill set is better. I can do climbs I struggled with when I was 25. But that is because I'm smarter now, not because I am stronger. Not even close. All I will get, trying to lift more or go harder is overuse injury, which I've been through a few times.

Yes, if you have let fitness get away from you, there is room to improve, but it is silly on the face of it to pretend you are 20-something. Aim instead for a fit 60, 70, or whatever. It's different.

My parents are both past 90 and quite active. No special diet. No gym. They just never stopped moving. That is the one thing we can all agree on. You gotta keep moving.

As for the OP, it sounded like over training to me, but there are many other possibilities. It did NOT sound like more exercise was the answer, because he sounded quite active, going to the gym regularly.
Old 27-11-2019, 15:33   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Research is showing us that longevity and good living are tied into lean muscle mass where at one time the medical community focused on the BMI, Body Mass Index. Now they are more interested in the FFMI, Fat Free Mass Index, which gives a better indication of the strength and health of an individual. Muscle mass is very important when the body is fighting a serious illness.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 15:49   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Yes, if you have let fitness get away from you, there is room to improve, but it is silly on the face of it to pretend you are 20-something. Aim instead for a fit 60, 70, or whatever. It's different.
Of course.

Quote:
As for the OP, it sounded like over training to me, but there are many other possibilities. It did NOT sound like more exercise was the answer, because he sounded quite active, going to the gym regularly.
I went back and re-read the OP original post and I think you are right. He may need to back off a bit but keep working.

I regularly need to cut back on the weight and build up again over time. It is like cycling. Any cycling coach will tell you that you need easy days to allow your body to recover.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 16:57   #49

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I guess the reason I say this is that I never stopped. My pull-ups and chin-ups don't need work because I never stopped rock climbing, climbing at work, or really anything. I've been a cyclist non-stop, and an active sailor non-stop. So the notion that I can be more fit than I was at 30, 40, or 50 is silly. My skill set is better. I can do climbs I struggled with when I was 25. But that is because I'm smarter now, not because I am stronger. Not even close. All I will get, trying to lift more or go harder is overuse injury, which I've been through a few times.

My parents are both past 90 and quite active. No special diet. No gym. They just never stopped moving. That is the one thing we can all agree on. You gotta keep moving.

I definitely am not the same guy I was when I was 20 something but when I went into the marines at 19 they made you do pullups almost the first day and I at 141 lbs and 6' tall built like a very thin long basketball player could do 7 pullups.

Now at 185 lbs and almost 6' tall, I can do 6-7 pullups.

I hope to be able to continue this. (I did get up to 18 pullups though in my 20's while still in the marines which will not happen these days I don't believe)

Pullups, sit-ups, and a 3 mile run were the requirements for the PFT which every marine had to pass to stay in which I'm thinking was a bit ahead of it's time in the early 70's

A 300 point score was the best you could get. (18 minute 3 mile run, 80 sit-ups in 2 minutes, and 20 pullups) In boot camp, you did this in full uniform and boots.

We (3 of us that had been in the marines) were talking yesterday and I said to the youngest one (born in 1991) that I bet most of you guys got 300's right.

He was like yeah, didn't you?

On the other hand, some folks are simply born with good genes like these girls:

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 17:30   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Do We Keep Our Old Bodys Working?

2200 calories a day..
Not counting beer..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 17:49   #51

These old boys (and not so young lady) are hanging in there pretty good also.

That's one hell of a workout to play (and sing) like that for a few hours.

Old 27-11-2019, 19:09   #52
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

How do we keep our old bodies working?

MOTIVATION! [emoji4]

Click image for larger version

Name:	7%20Sealife%20%20DSC_0013.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	203881
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 05:24   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
These old boys (and not so young lady) are hanging in there pretty good also.

That's one hell of a workout to play (and sing) like that for a few hours.

Somethings get better with age though.

I'm thinking these guys were better in the 2012 video than the 1996 video especially the lead singer

Old 28-11-2019, 08:17   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How Do We Keep Our Old Bodys Working?

Define age.
Average age for a male Marathon runner is 40 with the fastest class of nearly all Marathons being the 40-44 age group.
After that, age does catch up with them.
Example in my early 30’s I could run 2 miles in 12 and a half minutes, (Army PT test) which isn’t slow for a non pro runner. I wanted so badly to break the 12 min barrier but never did, that would be two back to back sub 6 min miles.
Since my probably early 50’s due to arthritis in my knees I can’t run at all. Maybe a little if I was on fire, but not much really.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 06:52   #55

Boat: Endeavour 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
Lots of good advice in the above posts. I can expand on one and add one new one.

Atrial Fibrillation can be so minor that it is not noticed except by professionals. In many people it can cause variable listlessness and fatique. Best to get that checked and if it is severe enough, surgery might be necessary.

Once past about 60, daily doses of vitamin B12 can help with energy metabolism. The 1000 mg tabs are best even though actual absorption will be less than that.

Good luck.
B12 is found in BEER and is the best and enjoyable source.
ovidiunelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 08:28   #56

Now 77, been doing Essentrics exercises for the last three years around three times a week, 23 mins per session. Never felt better in my life. Needs a DVD player and screen of some sort.
Puffin29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 10:17   #57

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

We also find that fitness is a way of life, but we stay sensible and professional in our way of achieving those goals. And at my age personal bests are history.

On board, we do get some exercise while SAILING, and standing helm watches, cranking winches, anchoring, etc . Good core work especially when heeled over
a bit, as the body tends to want to be upright and balanced. We gain zero pounds or fat on our sailing vacations, and that is with partying down when in port . But, we actually sail not turn on the autopilot, and lay about doing zip.

We can also add in resistance training with fitness bands. And use body weight exercises and movements, plus flexibilty ( stretches ). Stretching is important .

Your rowing is great exercise when in port, as is going to a gym.

Our personal programs.

* manageble dumbells or restance as to weight. Challenging, but not over training.

* Cables for back, and shoulders ( gym), ( Fitness bands on board )

* Mind muscle connection....concentrate on the target muscle, not music buds, or
conversation or bloody TV at the gym .

* Proper form with resistance training....slow and controlled....and do active recovery,

* Do not train to total failure, leave a couple of reps in the tank. Complete your reps and sets.

* For active recovery between sets, I do stretches for the body part that I am working on, and also other body part stretches, 45 seconds to one minute of stetching for each body part between sets.

* You can program your work outs with certain body parts on separate or alternate days.

* you can also do push pulls. Alternate biceps and triceps or chest and back movements.

* Change up your programs in different ways to fool the muscles so they do not get
accustom to the same routine day after day, month after month.

Have a protein smoothee or mix in water or whatever before your work out.

Hydrate as well. Before, during, and after exercise

Have a well balanced meal after exercising, and especially in the A.M, you have been fasting all night for hours during sleep. Reward you body with the nourishment that it needs.

Both Erica and I work out four to five times a week, alternate muscle groups, and get out and hike a couple or more times a week. We make it work and actually enjoy exercising. When ashore, get out and move . Explore and enjoy nature.

We look good , and feel good. And our fitness is readily observed. We are not fat, or over weight, we are strong, and lively and very positive and love the outdoors .

I was born in may of 1940, Erica 8 years my junior. We look 10 to 15 years younger than our chronological ages. And feel, act, speak and think younger as well.

We are still upright, very active and alive, where most of our long time friends and family are not fit, or are dead. The latter two are not a good place to be.

You, the OP, has a lot of determination and drive. This is good, but as someone mentioned watch out for over training. Not necessary, and not good for the body.

No, I cannot lift the weight that I did when in sports in college. I weighed 131 pounds and 5 feet six. I could bench press 230 pounds and strict military press 180 pounds, and partied hearty. have I starting exercising at a gym when I was 16 yrs old. It is a way of life to this day.

Today, I use wimp weights, do not do any overhead presses, keep my spine and neck straight, no longer do crunches but do use the fitness ball with my and spine back flat, the ball on my stomach, held stationary by my bent kness, and with my hands on top of the ball press my hand down toward the ground, holding that press for a count of 10, and do two sets of ten. That works and no stress on the neck or back as with crunhes.

Also do planks with the ball. hold for one minute. There are other exercises with the ball, and using the fitness bands, and body weight and adding in your flexibility stretches , you can have a darned good work out on board.

I have maintained my weight at my college numbers. about 127 to 133. Erica works harder than I do, and is 5'6" and about 133 lbs .

Now as to motivation. That also depends on proper sleep and proper eating plan and personal dedication..

Both of those can be hard at times when sailing on long passages .

Just do he best that you can and plan for what is important to you.

I find, that , sometimes, I feel like I do not want to do my daily workout, but I have my work out clothes all set to go, and laid out. I drink a quick protein , and walk to our fitness center, and after one or two sets, I am going full bore and feel great and wide awake.

There you go...it is great to see how many people are staying fit, and following a healthy and active and positive life style.

I will close with the words that my Irish Grandma Kavanaugh told me when I was a wee baron of lady. " Denny, you will not know how important your health is , until you do not have it anymore . " For some reason, the bit of advice has been ingrained in my life style for many , many decades.

Gold stars for you and the other here. Staying fit, healthy, positive and active.

And from my flying days.. The fighter pilots code LOOK GOOD AT ALL COSTS..
even with the engine on fire, and wings coming off. That is a bit of a stetch but can be applied to all things in life.

Again, watch that over training.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 11:06   #58

The problem with all these answers is they ignore{from a medical doctor's point of view}the reality that whether its diet, supplements to correct this, that, or the other deficiency, no one exhibits this symptomotolgy INTERMITTENTLY. There's the rub. None of what is offered as advice here deals with the fact that the symptoms, being as dramatically intermittent in both timing and intensity as they are, offer any hope of an answer for the poor sufferer. Again, if I had an answer as a medical doctor and experienced single hander sailor, I'd gladly give it. I don't
Primal Alliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 11:41   #59

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I’m sure genetics has a lot to do with being in decent shape with age.

I’m very lucky that all of the common hereditary poor-health issues are not evident in my family history. No heart attacks, no strokes, no blood pressure issues, no cholesterol problems, no dementia. One cancer event (had a sister die at 34yo 48 years ago). And I am continuing the legacy. One daughter, now 46, perfect health so far.

I have an active life but it’s been a long time since I did any structured exercise. I sail regularly, do ocean passages both on my own boat and deliveries. I do lots of physical work for fun like major home renovations, structural building projects and so on. I’m certainly not as strong as I once was but I’m not inhibited by a lack of strength. I have scoliosis but have not had it limit me in any way (other than getting health insurance ).

Over the years most of my medical attention has been mechanical repairs - I’m quite careless with stuff and hurt myself more than I should but have only had one bout in hospital for illness (pneumonia) in my life. My blood pressure right now is and has always been 120/80, my cholesterol is 4.2. When asked “Who is your doctor?” I can honestly say I don’t have one.

So I feel for people who are not blessed with natural health. The only thing I can say is that I have stoically avoided any attempt by medical professionals to start any form of on-going medication and have always used natural processes (mostly diet) to fix things. I believe that once a routine of meds has started, it never goes away. Have friends in “better shape” than me, gym daily, walk miles. But they take so many tablets, they rattle when they walk. Try to avoid that if you can.

Oh, I’m 70 years old.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 12:39   #60

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

This thread has been great. It's taken on a life of it's own and I've gotten a lot of interesting suggestions. One which I will follow up on is the suggestion about supplements and hormones. That coincides with my Dr's current advice.

And I am most happy about Primal Alliance's comment; he, for one, hit on my main questions: why were my symptoms intermittent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Alliance View Post
The problem with all these answers is they ignore{from a medical doctor's point of view}the reality that whether its diet, supplements to correct this, that, or the other deficiency, no one exhibits this symptomotolgy INTERMITTENTLY. There's the rub. None of what is offered as advice here deals with the fact that the symptoms, being as dramatically intermittent in both timing and intensity as they are, offer any hope of an answer for the poor sufferer. Again, if I had an answer as a medical doctor and experienced single hander sailor, I'd gladly give it. I don't
All that being said, today I feel great. My workout today was the best ever, by my benchmarks. I will take seriously the comments about over doing it. but on days when I feel great I'm going to hit it hard at the gym, it gives me so much good physical and mental feelings. And when my biorhythms are low, I'll chill a bit.

Folks, this has been fun. Thank you all.

Tags
work