Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 03:31   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: How did you choose your boat name?

Boats are just toys you play with in the water, so we named our boat - rubber ducky
Old 04-03-2017, 03:38   #32

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oddly I buy boats based on the name that is on the stern. If the boat is a good one and I like the name, I buy it (True!)

So much easier that way and no issues with bad juju.

Ours was a preloved girl called 'Andiamo', which apparently reads as 'let's go' or 'hurry up' in Italian (we aren't Italian).

I believe in the juju and didn't want to have to change a boats name; we fell in love with her and as such we are the current custodians of 'Andiamo'.

Our little boy lovingly calls her 'AndiNemo', I'm sure it's easy to tell that his favourite film is 'Finding Nemo' and a total mispronunciation on his toddler years. She continues to treat us well as dare I say with the 'Juju' responds well to her 'pet name' of "AndiNemo". Informally 'AndiNemo' has become very much enamoured in all of our close circle.

We've often discussed the next boat that we think may be christened 'JURECA' after the first initials of our names, however 'AndiNemo' holds such a soft, affectionate and forgiving namesake that our next girl may well be 'AndiNemo'; if ever, we part with 'Andiamo'.

Only time will tell, and such a lovely thing to give worry about

Wishing you a blessing naming your new girl

TinySailor
tinysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:39   #33

"La Verve" was the ships name that brought my ancestors to South Louisiana. Two brothers aboard the ship were the beginnings of my family name around 1649.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:35   #34

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I think a boat deserves her own name. I don't care for the puns or philosophies that are often used as names. Perhaps I am silly but a boat is home, protector and family member. She deserves a name she can answer to.

My bf has a different opinion on boat names and dreamed of calling our boat "Wha' ever". I hated that name! Yes, I have very strong feelings over that name. Ha ha!

Thankfully our new boat came with good juju. Gitana, while not unique, is hername and she resisted being renamed with an ignoble and generic word.

Now my bf calls her "Gitty" and he has fallen under her spell.

Here in the Sea of Cortez Gitana seems to be widely known. We are often greeted with "I know that boat, that's a good boat!".

One last thought, consider that your boats name becomes your defacto name. People you meet will call you by your boat name. You really want to be sure you want to answer to that name!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:45   #35

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

1965 Philip Rhodes Reliant 41 Yawl, Bluestocking : A pedantic and sometimes ostentatious Lady of the Victorian era. Tender is Garter Belt.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:47   #36

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

[QUOTE=Sea Dreaming;2338857]I think a boat deserves her own name. I don't care for the puns or philosophies that are often used as names. Perhaps I am silly but a boat is home, protector and family member. She deserves a name she can answer to.

I agree completely.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	142412
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:12   #37

Boat: Custom 55

I can't take credit for our boat name, but the story's pretty good.
The story is that as she was being built, the builder at one point called the designer just a little bit too often.

Frustrated, the designer finally said 'Dammit, it's not rocket science!'

And so a boat was named...

TJ
Old 04-03-2017, 05:29   #38

Names should not be too long nor hard to understand... or spell/pronouce. You need to speak them and spell them over the radio.

Sierra, Hotel, India, Victor, Alpha

was named to honor my best friend who introduced me to sailing... His boat was named Diva (his GF was a opera singer at the time he got it).

I had just returned from a trip to Nepal... and the Hindu god Shiva seemed like a decent name.

True Story:

Departing Bermuda bound for NYC I called BHR and cleared with them. WHen they heard the boat's name... they replied that Shiva has already been cleared something like a half an hr ago. I assured them that was not me! 2 Shivas leaving St Georges within half an hr. They were bound for Boston.

12 yrs later I sailed into Northport where we intended to moor our boat and as we motored down the fairway... what do we see? Shiva, a C&C 35 dark blue hull from Boaton MA. Turns out Shiva had been purchased by someone in Northport so now the two Shiva's share one Harbor. On the radio I am the white Shiva and he is the blue Shiva!

You can't make this stuff up!

++++

our tender is named after our 2 grand daughters... Alana and Daniella

Lani Dani

their nicknames
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:35   #39

more names:

Buoy Coy

Coy Buoys
Old 04-03-2017, 05:53   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

In my teens, we had a fishing 'fleet' of outboard powered cuddy Dorys. Unsinkable and bobbed on the surface like a cork. There were about 15 members in our association. On a Sunday morning, at least 10 of us would meet and launch off the beach to spend the day fishing..

My buddy Pete had the newest boat and the fastest 40hp Johnson. He named his boat "Phallus" and had it elegantly painted on. We laughed.

However, the next weekend, everyone turned up with variations of the name for their boat... "Big Phallus", "Perfect Phallus", "Her Phallus" etc. All except for Harold... He named his boat Richard.

Happy days....good memories... great fishing... Codling, Whiting, Ling, Mackerel.. sigh.

The week after we all went back to boaty names...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:59   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
In my teens, we had a fishing 'fleet' of outboard powered cuddy Dorys. Unsinkable and bobbed on the surface like a cork. There were about 15 members in our association. On a Sunday morning, at least 10 of us would meet and launch off the beach to spend the day fishing..

My buddy Pete had the newest boat and the fastest 40hp Johnson. He named his boat "Phallus" and had it elegantly painted on. We laughed.

However, the next weekend, everyone turned up with variations of the name for their boat... "Big Phallus", "Perfect Phallus", "Her Phallus" etc. All except for Harold... He named his boat Richard.

Happy days....good memories... great fishing... Codling, Whiting, Ling, Mackerel.. sigh.

The week after we all went back to boaty names...
very tacky and tasteless... sounds like power boat jerks on LIS
Old 04-03-2017, 06:00   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my boat was named by the guy who put her over on the breakwall in santabarbara then left her there-- is named agfter the writings of don juan de la cruz, also known as don juan de mateus.. the 5 points of solitary bird.
i kept the name.
https://sksolitarybird.org/2016/03/0...-got-her-name/
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:03   #43

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
very tacky and tasteless... sounds like power boat jerks on LIS
Or teen aged boys being teen aged boys
Old 04-03-2017, 06:08   #44

Boat: 1972. allied chance 30 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Boats are just toys you play with in the water, so we named our boat - rubber ducky
I ,respectfully,disagree. I've been living aboard sailboats for 7 years now. I understand that cute,or clever names are,well,cute,and clever. My personal opinion is,the name should reflect something about the vessel, or something, or someone you truly care about. Perhaps, even love. I've been dreaming about living aboard, and sailing since I was a 14 year old boy. Finally pulled the trigger when I was 50. I always thought I'd name my 'dream boat' after my first love,since I use to think all boats should be named after women. They do,after all,share many of the same attributes. I named my present vessel 27th Chance, because she's the 27th produced, by Allied boat company, and designed by Britton Chance. One of only 45 built. That's just my opinion. If you 'play' with your boat, and like the name,it's a personal choice. It is,after all,your boat. Happy sailing!Click image for larger version

Name:	1488636521241.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	142419
sailinbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:23   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Or teen aged boys being teen aged boys
Your only young once....

There is another thread on here discussing a bill to restrict youngsters operating boats on the water.. In Florida.

I think our average age was 17 at the time and we all were competent boaters having started real early with our dads and friends. Would hate to see children losing out on the opportunity to learn to operate boats.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat