Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2007, 09:38   #91
jzk

This is what I see as the problems with too large a boat. Once you are at sea, and during a passage, no problemo.

But what about docking? Pulling away from the dock? Anchoring? "Fending" off a 100 foot boat is simply not going to happen.

What about just keeping it clean? Go wash a 100 foot boat a few times before you buy one.

How much room do you need?
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 17:16   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Automotive equivalents...

As I reflect on the difficulty of ever getting my boat seaworthy I sometimes think we should compare boats with their automotive equivalents. See if you agree with me:-

small canoe/kayak - bicycle
Folding dinghy/small inflatable - motor scooter
RIB/medium rigid dinghy - mini car
large tender (12'+) - car
trailer sailer - pop top camper
28' fixed keel - camper van
32' fixed keel/28' cat - large camper van
38' fixed keel/32' cat - small Winebago
44' fixed keel/38' cat - large Winebago
50'+ fixed keel/44' cat - large motor home

The comparison makes it easier to understand why a certain boat size is needed. For example if a large number of short trips is planned then the trailer sailer or 28' fixed keel is indicated, while a small number of long trips would indicate a much larger boat.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 19:32   #93

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
All depends on your comfort level. In a small ship and harbor hopping where you do not need that many supplies or the greater hull speed - could be just as nice as a larger boat. 2 weeks at sea, well?
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 21:46   #94

Nobody seems to have dwelt much on one very obvious constraint - do you have any idea of what it costs to maintain a 75 foot yacht ??? If so,then double it for a 100 foot yacht.

As far as sailing it goes...without a lot of electrical assists, the largest practical size for a couple is about 45 feet.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:51   #95
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann
Nobody seems to have dwelt much on one very obvious constraint - do you have any idea of what it costs to maintain a 75 foot yacht ??? If so,then double it for a 100 foot yacht.

As far as sailing it goes...without a lot of electrical assists, the largest practical size for a couple is about 45 feet.
I agree with the first part, but not the second. The hard part about the big boat is docking and pulling away from the dock. Once at sea, it might just take a little longer to get everything set up, but very doable. Perhaps an electric winch to get the main up, and all is well.

Also, in general, the bigger the boat the more the draft, and the fewer the places you can go with it.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 13:41   #96

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha All,
I've resisted responding to this thread because everything here has been discussed before.
IMHO the answer to the original question is that if you want to go sailing more than go spending money on dockage and maintaining then pick a boat less than 37 feet on deck.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 14:18   #97

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
The original question: How big is too big? My answer: 37' LOD.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 21:16   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It seems like everyone has put their biases into play. Like JohnL I have resisted responding as in many ways it's like "What's better? Vanilla or chocolate."

The original question lacks specificity. The only parameter given was ocean cruising and a two person crew.

Without constraints there is no "too big." He didn't set a price tag for purchase or a price tag for maintenance or indicate who will clean and care for a 100+ foot boat. He did not specify that he needed to dock it.

With enough automation and redundancy in the automation a 100 foot boat is doable.

There is a couple here on a 51 footer. They manage fine however I would say the boat is all consuming. They do little else but maintain and sail the boat. They are constantly cleaning and varnishing, painting, waxing and repairing. They start at the front and work to the back and then start at the front again.

Although a cat is probably the most practical, for me it's 38 foot mono-hull pilot house. Sloop or Cutter rig.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:14   #99
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The true definition of "too big" is when you send a steward down for coffee, and it has gotten cold before it reaches you from the galley.

Or, if the champagne has gone flat and warm before it reaches the sun deck.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote