Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 14:12   #1

How bad is this damage / how easy to repair?

Hello forums,

I've never actually had to repair a boat, and recently came across a Morgan OutIsland 415 with "some" transom damage. I was wondering how easily repairable it would be - see picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	morgan 514.jpg
Views:	1574
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	214596  
Clemroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 14:16   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: How bad is this damage / how easy to repair?

Yes repairable by DIY. You will be using an angle grinder and sander a lot, but all doable. Time taken will show in the final results.

You will need some good books if you haven't done this before and a few hours on You Tube will be worth while.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 14:35   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Run away....run away.....what you see is not the full extent of the damage. Looks like one of those abandoned hulks that municipalities are sending to the landfills in pieces. If this is yours and you know the remainder is in decent overall condition it may be worth your time, effort, and vast amounts of cash. If you do not own it already, keep looking for a project commensurate with your skill level and, most importantly, disposable income level.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 14:38   #4

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Definitely run away unless you have major experience.

The time it will take to rebuild is going to be vast, the pockets deep even for a DIY.

It's not something you can just fair out and call good. That is far beyond fairing and we'll into complete new layup and building of the hull structure among other things
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 14:45   #5

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I have to wonder how much fiberglassing experience the previous two posters have.

It looks like severe dock rash to me. Storm damage of some kind. I can't see any more than you can, but I don't see what the big deal is. Morgan OI's have lots of glass overall. I'd guess you could take that stern right out, and still sail her, temporarily...

I think post #2 had it right.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 07-05-2020, 14:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes repairable by DIY. You will be using an angle grinder and sander a lot, but all doable. Time taken will show in the final results.

You will need some good books if you haven't done this before and a few hours on You Tube will be worth while.

Pete
Gosh, we brits must be doing things wrong. Ive tackled worse than that in my youth, and before YOUTUBE!

I agree that it is a big job, and to be fair given that lots of boats are out there, I too perhaps would look around.

It can be done, lots and lots of time and effort and a fair chunk of dosh as each new problem is uncovered.

But I could do it and Pete could......... but we dont want to.

there is a much easier vessel out there.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 15:09   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Well I'm in the run away camp. It may - or may not be - an easy fix, but unless you can haul out for free and have plenty of free time on hand it's going to end up costing a bunch more than you would perhaps expect time and money wise.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 15:16   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Looking at the picture I would not be surprised if you had to cut sections of the transom out . I bet that glass has completely delaminated in areas. It's fixible you just need a big discount on the purchase price.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:43   #9

Boat: Watkins 29

A little body filler, rubbing compound and you'll be all set!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:50   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Walk away and don't look back.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:10   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There's some fortune with the photo and the 415 model. I had a 413 Morgan Out Island for 32 years (see avatar photo) and the hull-deck joint was at the location at the center of your damage, but when constructing the 415 Morgans the hull-deck joint was moved up to the toe rail where you have no significant damage. This means that you have a very scarred area at an area with a very robust hull and I would not hesitate to take on this kind of reconstruction if the acquisition of the boat was available at a low cost.

I'm very familiar with these boats having owned and cruised them for 45 years. Depending upon the location of the boat, I could be interested in providing some more detailed assistance. Send me a PM if you like.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:18   #12

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I'm a real neophyte when it comes to any substantial fiberglass work. If this was actually a best case scenario, and the inner fiberglass of the stern was still actually undamaged - would it simply be a matter of grinding/cutting/sanding away damage back to good fiberglass - and then reapplying layers of glass? Then sanding and painting/gelcoat?

If cracks led straight through the stern, then it would likely need to be re-molded from an internal form, and scarped in with the existing good glass?
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:35   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Gosh, we brits must be doing things wrong. Ive tackled worse than that in my youth, and before YOUTUBE!

I agree that it is a big job, and to be fair given that lots of boats are out there, I too perhaps would look around.

It can be done, lots and lots of time and effort and a fair chunk of dosh as each new problem is uncovered.

But I could do it and Pete could......... but we dont want to.

there is a much easier vessel out there.
Well I was with you until you got to the “ find another boat” part. We don’t know what the rest of the boat looks like, is equipped with, or what the asking price is. Definitely repairable by an amateur, probably sailable without doing anything, however who would want to. It does not look like it will be that difficult to repair. And finally, it might be a better plan after answering the above questions to find another boat. As usual there are so many unknowns in these queries.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:49   #14

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Judging by the bow of the boat next to it - it looks like some storm/dock damage.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:52   #15

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
There's some fortune with the photo and the 415 model. I had a 413 Morgan Out Island for 32 years (see avatar photo) and the hull-deck joint was at the location at the center of your damage, but when constructing the 415 Morgans the hull-deck joint was moved up to the toe rail where you have no significant damage. This means that you have a very scarred area at an area with a very robust hull and I would not hesitate to take on this kind of reconstruction if the acquisition of the boat was available at a low cost.

I'm very familiar with these boats having owned and cruised them for 45 years. Depending upon the location of the boat, I could be interested in providing some more detailed assistance. Send me a PM if you like.
give me about three hours with a 4 1/2 inch angels grinder and I will have that transom about ready for re glassing, it might require some core rebuilding of the rub rail area. I’m thinking you’re looking at mostly aesthetic repair.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote