Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 01:51   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
How are these “nav lights” even legal?

How can this manufacturer get away with “brake lights” instead of a stern light?

What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6BB21B75-20E5-48D8-B948-4DF01296835F.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	218682  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:22   #2

Boat: Ranger 22 #207
Re: How are these “nav lights” even legal?

Aside from the fact that this is a concept rendering and likely not entirely representative of the finished product? In all seriousness flashy sport boats have had extra lights all over them for a while now including headlights and "tail lights" without serious issue. There will likely be a proper stern light installed on the final product in order to meet the requirement (and yea they said they are actually building 63 of these so now instead of just being obnoxiously showy on the road, lambo owners can do it on the water too! Although the other images I found with a quick google search do make it look like a pretty sleek machine.)
HellBentSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:32   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It was in with pics of the real boat underway on Instagram. So I had thought this pic was real. They’re definitely getting good with the rendering if this pic isn’t real. Probably the dim lighting makes it harder to see it’s fake.

Somehow, I feel like this one is going too far. Red lights on the stern and no white light just doesn’t sit right. I can’t imagine trying to navigate at night and the other boats don’t even have the nav lights required by law and the system we all rely on to avoid collisions.

It would be like cars having white tail lights and white blinkers.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:11   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It was in with pics of the real boat underway on Instagram. So I had thought this pic was real. They’re definitely getting good with the rendering if this pic isn’t real. Probably the dim lighting makes it harder to see it’s fake.

Somehow, I feel like this one is going too far. Red lights on the stern and no white light just doesn’t sit right. I can’t imagine trying to navigate at night and the other boats don’t even have the nav lights required by law and the system we all rely on to avoid collisions.

It would be like cars having white tail lights and white blinkers.

I agree with you. That is absolutely crazy, and illegal. I do hope they are not actually building them like that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:47   #5

Agree about the lights, but more than likely they will be nothing more than dockside party lights and not designed for use under way....

But as HellBentSailing states, the pictures are all renderings, also the film footage is nothing more than very well done computer graphics, it's not an actual boat, i dare say when the actual boat hits the water it will meet all requirements re nav lights.....

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...evealed--43877

Full Unveil...

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:09   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Love your tag line, Island Hopper.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:21   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How are these “nav lights” even legal?

The problem already exists with Cruise ships.. their Nav lights are near invisible in the blaze of white light they have on..
I suppose with AIS becoming more prevalent eyeball info is becoming less of a priority..
Whats on the box..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:35   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=boatman61;3178348]The problem already exists with Cruise ships.. their Nav lights are near invisible in the blaze of white light they have on..
/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth, lots of times I see one and watch it for hours. I keep thinking "that's an usual type of platform", just to find out it is a cruise ship.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:59   #9

Of course, we must remember if we see any light characteristics like your original picture, Chotu, it would be prudent to get on the radio and report them to the Coast Guard; they're endangering everyone.

As far as cruiseships go, Boatie, we call them "Christmas trees" and hail them at night to chat with the watch-officer and get the latest weather report (I don't sail with an excessive amount of electronics) - but you're right. Difficult to distinguish nav lights initially with all the deck lights turned on full blast all the time.

We'll see a lot less of them in future, however, until the world gets a handle on Covid...
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I don’t see much problem with them.

1. These things are meant to be seen, that’s the whole reason to have them, to show off.
2. Fuel usage and tankage will keep them close by the dock.
3. A 1 foot chop would most likely make them extremely uncomfortable So they will only be out in a near dead calm.
4. You will be able to HEAR them beyond the nav light distance, over your own engine.
5. Because they meant to be seen they will seldom be out at night.

The bigger problem is the possibility of being speared by one.

Our old marina was just off the &D Canal. Jocks would bring down their very serious cigarette boats to launch on the ramp. Just on very nice calm weekends they would run them up and down the canal, WOT. You could easily hear them through the woods a few miles away. Those boats were designed for ocean racing. These things are just bling.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:19   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The problem already exists with Cruise ships.. their Nav lights are near invisible in the blaze of white light they have on..
I suppose with AIS becoming more prevalent eyeball info is becoming less of a priority..
Whats on the box..
The trawler fishing boats are worse. They have high intensity stadium type of lights to light up the deck and many other lights, we call them carnival rides, you can’t see nav lights at all, they turn off the AIS because they don’t want their competitors to see where they are fishing, and when they do have them on the only thing they transmit is the MMSI, no ship name etc, because they don’t want the competition to know where they are.

They also don’t hold a course, because they are dragging an area, not a straight line, and I believe they are the stand on vessel because they are fishing, we give them a wide berth
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:28   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Real conversation
Me: So skipper, do you use AIS?
Skipper: No, I don’t want me buddies to know where I’m fishing, or me Wife! (Wink)
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They also don’t hold a course, because they are dragging an area, not a straight line, and I believe they are the stand on vessel because they are fishing, we give them a wide berth
Please let's remember they are hard-working, underpaid fisherman whose fishing grounds (due to global warming and international bickering) are making it increasingly difficult to provide food for OUR plates.

Yes, please, let's all give them a wide berth not just in compliance with COLREGS, but to extend our gratitude to these hardy and underappreciated souls.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:46   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

With brightly lit work boats or cruise ships, as much as the nav nights are hard to see, you can see the bright lights far enough away that taking a couple of minutes to figure out what you're seeing and what it's doing isn't a big deal in most cases. On smaller, lower boats that can't be seen as far away, it's more of an issue.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:15   #15

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Please let's remember they are hard-working, underpaid fisherman whose fishing grounds (due to global warming and international bickering) are making it increasingly difficult to provide food for OUR plates.

Yes, please, let's all give them a wide berth not just in compliance with COLREGS, but to extend our gratitude to these hardy and underappreciated souls.

LittleWing77
Yes, but....

I do admire their willingness to work in harsh conditions. But I also believe that they aren't doing much to address overfishing.

The farmer reaps what he sows. The fisherman just reaps.

At some point, they are just as much our fish. Or crabs. Or oysters.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal