Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2021, 14:42   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Hostile acts against cruisers underway in the Caribbean

Swing waaaaay east! I headed 40 or more miles east of those islands.

Did this run last year and the customer on the delivery AFTER the one I was doing relayed this story. —— Nicaraguan pirates left floating nets out to snare passing yachts. In the morning they shook down this guys friend for money. Not swearing to it- just relaying.

We left Linton Harbor and headed east to 5 miles from the Panamanian border and then kept as much N in our course as we could.

It was the one and only time I turned off the transmit on my AIS. We shut it down when north of the Windward>Panama traffic lane. When we received an AIS from a southbound freighter we turned on the transmit feature.

Rounding Cuba, we passed through their waters without issue. I have done that several times without incident.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 15:24   #17

Boat: 41' Morgan Out Island Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
It's ironic, that the Bahamas, one of the safest places you can cruise, allows you to bring firearms in, while many other countries that really are dangerous, don't.

I was assigned to and worked with the Bahamian police, as a U.S. federal agent, on a task force years ago in the Bahamas. Guns are becoming a problem there, but my experience was that most of them come in with the people smuggling drugs through the Bahamas, not yachtsmen. It's quite easy for them to pick up guns after dropping off coke or weed in south Florida and a lot of the smugglers do carry guns for protection from other dopers (which they will throw into the ocean at the first sign of the police about to board them).

But, that doesn't mean the Bahamians don't take yachtsmen, or anyone else, violating their guns laws seriously, because they most certainly do.

But, as far any danger to a cruising yachtsman, the Bahamas are so well patrolled that you can raise help on channel 16 most of the time. I know when I was there (2003), there were seven helicopters dedicated to nothing but patrol of the Bahamas. They are all monitoring channel 16. There are also several other people monitoring. I would not be surprised to find out there are even more patrol helicopters in the Bahamas these days.

Now, walking around in parts of Nassau at night? That's a whole other story.
Well I agree with you on all points. Work in a similar line. The gun would be for the cruise there etc. not so much for cruising in the Bahamas. Just have to secure it and the ammo under seal and jump through the customs procedures. Not really an ordeal for me atm. Worth it to go to PR and USVI with protection. Yes not worried much about cruising the Abacos and piracy there. More so running into unsavory people enroute.
nolakennedys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 18:30   #18

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350

Search for an app called ASAM. It is the US gov NGA tracking and reporting Anti-Ship Activity Messages. It tracked piracy, theft, etc. It will give you where the event occurred to plan your route. Noonsite provides valuable report of countries anti-ship activities as well.
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 12:45   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the rode View Post
I plan to sail from Colon, Panama to Punta Gorda Florida by way of the Yucatan Channel this Spring, passing just East of Isla Andreas and Isla Providencia on my way North. Has anyone heard of any hostile acts against cruisers under way offshore in that part of the Caribbean?

Also, I understand that the Cuban territorial waters extend 12 miles from its land mass. Putting aside ideal course, does anyone know whether you need to give the West end of Cuba a wider berth than 12 miles when passing through the Yucatan Channel?

Thank you.
Why not stop in Cuba at Maria La Gorda?? its 20 miles east of the lighthouse on the western end
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 16:15   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

[QUOTE=Group9;3346889]It's ironic, that the Bahamas, one of the safest places you can cruise, allows you to bring firearms in, while many other countries that really are dangerous, don't.
I so not see the irony. It is the other way around. Criminals know that a cruiser might be armed in the Bahamas thus think twice before committing a crime while criminals can do whatever they want when victims are unarmed. Also in the Bahamas the person who legally brings a gun will notify the authority and he/she is not going to do anything stupid since the authorities know where to find the sailor(s) with guns.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 16:39   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Thank you so much BelizeSailor. That was very helpful and the link to the web site is a gem. Be well and stay safe!
De nada, glad to help.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 16:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolakennedys View Post
One of the sailing videos on Youtube made mention of troubles off Bocas del toro. I could never find any specifics though. I would say try to get a buddy boat or at least several crew to go with you just in case.
Quote:
Thank you. Will have two able-bodied male crew with me and don't plan to pass very close to Bocas. Having a "buddy boat" is not likely to be "in the cards".
To my knowledge there have never been any attacks underway off Bocas. There has only ever been one violent attack that I know of in Bocas ever. Petty theft is an annoyance in Bocas, especially for dinghy motors.

We have cruised the Bocas archipeligo extensively and never had cause for concern.

There are only two areas in the W Carib I know of where attacks underway have occurred. Those are the N coast of Honduras and the Nicarguan Banks.

Again, check CSSN to confirm actual reports.
Old 02-03-2021, 16:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
When we went through, the only issue was off the coast of Nicaragua for others. We stayed 100 miles off shore and did not stop in the Vivarios/Miskito coast. We were within 10 miles of Cuba, didn’t see a soul. We did notice a Mexican Navy vessel SE of Cozumel. Never had any problems around Bocas del Toro, Providencia and Albuquerque Cays were tons of fun. San Andreas was OK. Keep an eye on CSSN (Caribbean safety and security net) for updates and changes.

And Have fun, the most dangerous part of your trip is probably Colon itself
Yes, best to stay out of Colon proper. However, Shelter Bay Marina and Cuatro Altos (where many cruisers go to provision) are fine.

FYI: Modern Colon is a full on ghetto. From the decaying old architecture you can tell it was not always the case, but today its rough. Best to avoid entering Colon town at all...if you REALLY need to then go with someone who has local knowledge/experience. There are some very handy places to get things repaired and buy things like hoses and fittings, but proceed w caution.
Old 02-03-2021, 22:40   #24

I saw that an Australian guy was taking a hand buzz saw in board for Pirates. I can just imagine a fit Australian boy with a crazy smile starting up his buz saw as the Pirate boat approached. If I was a Pirate I wouldn't be boarding. Mind you, what a shame people have to resort to such lengths to protect themselves. I think a large Samari sword could have the same effect. But a crazy looking guy with a buzz saw would scare the heck out of me.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 23:03   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The Exumas was somewhat dangerous is the 80s due to the drug trade. I assume cruisers were just as armed than as they might theoretically be now. Bahamians are pretty laid back and are relatively well off in normal times to not cause many problems especially in the out islands. And as AIS or any type periodic check in is not required in Bahamas how do they “know where to find you”

Nice NRA BS. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2021, 01:42   #26

I delivered a 60 foot trawler yacht from Colon to Ft Lauderdale in March 2003. At the time there were either no unusual piracy issues off the Nicaraguan coast or I was unaware of them. On this passage, the conditions were predominantly NE winds and persistent Force 5/6 conditions and it was a struggle to make progress to the east. It was a bit of a grind even in a well found 60 footer. There was constant spray over the decks for 80% of the 3 day run to round Cuba. It would really suck on a sailboat. You may want to be mindful of whether you can actually lay the desired course to the east of San Andreas

I plan to do the run within the next year to bring my boat from Ensenada to Florida. This will be a more leisurely run (the above delivery was Newport Beach CA to Ft Lauderdale in 25 days with quick stop in Acapulco and another in Panama). I am gently coaxing my wife to warm to the idea and assembled the attached map of possible stops along the way to avoid more than a few nights at sea at any one run.

Although piracy off Nicaragua has been quieter in recent few years, the severity of the attacks were disturbing enough that I will avoid the area at all costs. As BelizeSailor noted, the pangas have gone great distances - almost to San Andreas, 100nms offshore.

Depending on weather, we may go east of Cuba with a stop in Port Antonio Jamaica instead of the Yucatan Channel. It adds about 400 nms. It would have been a better choice for my 2003 run.

Good luck. Please update us!

Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210303-043124.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	233725
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:30   #27

Quote:
As I understand it, many places around the World require you to surrender your firearms when you enter their jurisdiction

Never understood the logic for bringing firearms then having to surrender them in port. IMO probably 99% of incidents occur in ports, anchored at night or cruising local waters. THAT is exactly when you need the firearm.

So unless you’re preparing to transit to the Red Sea or close in to Nigeria or similar, what good does it do you?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:11   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I saw that an Australian guy was taking a hand buzz saw in board for Pirates. I can just imagine a fit Australian boy with a crazy smile starting up his buz saw as the Pirate boat approached. If I was a Pirate I wouldn't be boarding. Mind you, what a shame people have to resort to such lengths to protect themselves. I think a large Samari sword could have the same effect. But a crazy looking guy with a buzz saw would scare the heck out of me.
Once, I went to a Halloween party dressed as a chainsaw wielding psychopath. To help pull it off, I took my chainsaw and took the chain off. Before I went into the party, I cranked it and then ran in revving it up and waving it around. This was a party full of cops and federal agents, and they were running like scared rabbits!

I always thought after that, that most pirates, seeing something like that, a maniac with a chainsaw, would decide to move on to the next potential victim.

And, they're legal everywhere as far as I know!
Old 03-03-2021, 06:33   #29

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
Never understood the logic for bringing firearms then having to surrender them in port. IMO probably 99% of incidents occur in ports, anchored at night or cruising local waters. THAT is exactly when you need the firearm.

So unless you’re preparing to transit to the Red Sea or close in to Nigeria or similar, what good does it do you?
Good question, although in a port you are more likely to be within radio distance of help.

In a passage you are on your own.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:50   #30

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolakennedys View Post
Will pray for a safe passage for y'all! When I cruise to the Bahamas I am planning on being armed. Will declare properly of course. Just won't take any chances these days. Lower Caribbean i am still researching laws regarding it.
I’m with you 100%! I always bring and declare at least one firearm to the Bahamas: there are a lot of Americans over there and they all have guns!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruise, cruiser, rib