Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 12:01   #61

Re: Horrible Guests, Terrible Crew

You could make a list of expectations and call it “informed consent for mutual enjoyment” and just have people read over it if they get offended then think of it as a bullet dodged. A prenup for crossings lmao
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:04   #62
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCarabas View Post
super useful for staying in touch with friends and family over seas?
WhatsApp is far less invasive and does the same. I like your avatar.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:07   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANET EXPRESS View Post
You could make a list of expectations and call it “informed consent for mutual enjoyment” and just have people read over it if they get offended then think of it as a bullet dodged. A prenup for crossings lmao
EXCELLENT! Wonderful idea.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2018, 12:13   #64

Boat: Passport 40

Ok I am going to say something from a different point of view. I have many friends that have never been sailing, nor have they thought of making such a trip. I am not excusing their behavior nor saying that anyone else's suggestions is incorrect as I agree with the above.

Ok pretend I am someone that has not spent a huge amount of time on a boat. Your friend invites me to go sailing on his boat. You come to the marina to find this giant gorgeous boat. You think, "wow this guy has done well for himself". You start sailing and feel overwhelmed with the sheer size of things, and are embarrassed to say so. So you pretend to be uninterested.

Dinner out. Now after thinking this guy is loaded you go out to dinner, you think money is no problem, you suggest the nicest restaurants and order the expensive wine without someone staunchly saying no. This perpetuates the belief.

So you get home and have some extra expenses. This guy should have no problem forking over the money for them. After all he can afford a boat like that...

I am not saying that is what happened but not completely out of the realm of there thinking. Lets face it....You boat is awesome
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:18   #65

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
Ok I am going to say something from a different point of view. I have many friends that have never been sailing, nor have they thought of making such a trip. I am not excusing their behavior nor saying that anyone else's suggestions is incorrect as I agree with the above.

Ok pretend I am someone that has not spent a huge amount of time on a boat. Your friend invites me to go sailing on his boat. You come to the marina to find this giant gorgeous boat. You think, "wow this guy has done well for himself". You start sailing and feel overwhelmed with the sheer size of things, and are embarrassed to say so. So you pretend to be uninterested.

Dinner out. Now after thinking this guy is loaded you go out to dinner, you think money is no problem, you suggest the nicest restaurants and order the expensive wine without someone staunchly saying no. This perpetuates the belief.

So you get home and have some extra expenses. This guy should have no problem forking over the money for them. After all he can afford a boat like that...

I am not saying that is what happened but not completely out of the realm of there thinking. Lets face it....You boat is awesome
I have no doubt you're at least partially right. I would never dream of spending someone else's money, or think I'm entitled to be compensated for something I bought and left behind, no matter how much money I think they have. But I know for a fact those people are out there. Way too many of them I'm afraid.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:22   #66
cruiser

Quote:

I appreciate your contribution to this thread, and thanks much for your nice compliment.

It was well-known to our guests and here on the forum that my wife and I are working Registered Nurses. Our guests on the other hand make a point of telling everyone how financially successful they’ve been over the years by owning several companies, one of which now employs 80 people. They are currently retired and own a 55ft boat which is presently for sale at $1 million dollars. They also own more than one home.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:37   #67

Boat: Passport 40

Ken,
Being a fellow RN, I do love me a registered nurse

As such I spend a lot of time doing two things. Stepping outside myself to see things from other peoples perspective and realizing sometimes things aren't all they look from the outside.

What do they see when they look at you. I know you and your wife work incredibly hard for your money and enjoy it. I know you spend a "great deal" of time on "vacation" (as seen from their point of view), You have at present two boats, one for sale, that are rather large. They saw the current one and were in awe.

As for their status. Some of the people who brag about their financial status are really poor and try to build themselves up, some of the richest people I know wear flannel and torn blue jeans to the hardware store. What people say and reality are two different things. The boat may be for sale because they can't afford it. Here in Connecticut I know several people in foreclosure/ bankruptcy but still have memberships to the country club. It is all about image. Don't let it fool you.

Not meaning to be argumentative. I have followed you for a long time and think what you and your wife do is awesome. I hope to get there some day. Until then, still saving
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43   #68

You might have two chapters of a good book for sailors. Was it your wish that others shared their incredulous and humorous experiences in response to your own? We have certainly learnt the hard way that many of our friends have thought that sailing brochures are representative of reality. We did have a sort-of mutiny once. After a storm the couple appeared in the bar with bags packed, asked if it was the mainland and when we said yes, said they were leaving the boat and did so. Worst thing was, we found out when we got back to the UK they were telling everyone that we had nearly killed them. What made it worse was that during the sail, they had broken their heads, the waste pipe split and the holding tank drained back into the bathroom to ankle deep. Guess who had to wade into their s#$* to fix it while they went ashore for a drink!
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Ken,
Being a fellow RN, I do love me a registered nurse

As such I spend a lot of time doing two things. Stepping outside myself to see things from other peoples perspective and realizing sometimes things aren't all they look from the outside.

What do they see when they look at you. I know you and your wife work incredibly hard for your money and enjoy it. I know you spend a "great deal" of time on "vacation" (as seen from their point of view), You have at present two boats, one for sale, that are rather large. They saw the current one and were in awe.

As for their status. Some of the people who brag about their financial status are really poor and try to build themselves up, some of the richest people I know wear flannel and torn blue jeans to the hardware store. What people say and reality are two different things. The boat may be for sale because they can't afford it. Here in Connecticut I know several people in foreclosure/ bankruptcy but still have memberships to the country club. It is all about image. Don't let it fool you.

Not meaning to be argumentative. I have followed you for a long time and think what you and your wife do is awesome. I hope to get there some day. Until then, still saving
I think you may be onto something, I hadn’t considered that.

Friendship request sent.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:44   #70

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

If you remember The Fish Principle you will never ever have trouble with guests.
😂
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
If you remember The Fish Principle you will never ever have trouble with guests.
😂
How will it help me with a convicted sex offender? Please splain.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:56   #72

Boat: Hunter 30

I only read 3 pages of replies but this has always worked for us on long and expensive charters. We make a "kitty". Every couple adds $200 to start and all expenses of the boat are paid from the pot. Dinners ashore are dutch treat until we reach near the end of the charter. Then the money is spent on shore expenses. If we run low, we throw in an agreed amount say another $100. You are free to buy your own extras like single malt scotch from your own $$. This has worked for years. Anything left is divided but I don't remember much ever being left.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 13:00   #73

Boat: None

I feel your pain, that's a shabby run of luck you had there. A pair of useless and petty cheapskates versus a pedophile, man, I'd have a tough time of it picking whom to toss overboard first.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 13:00   #74

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Guests are like fresh fish. After 3-5 days you throw it overboard. ��
Old 01-10-2018, 13:04   #75

Sorry to hear of your "nightmarish" guests. Oh, what you find out about people when you're in a captive situation. I've been on hunting trips with people you least thought would be a problem but when things got somewhat dicey, they panicked and were totally unreliable. You just never know!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, rib