Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2017, 20:54   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37
Re: Homemade shackles secure our boat during Harvey

Thank you all for your positive replies.
These shackles were made of 1/4" New England Ropes HTS-75 Dyneema. The shackles are my latest design in my drive to develop a shackle where the failure mode was the Dyneema itself and not from construction techniques.
The line has a breaking strength of 9,700 lbs. I had this design test through my friends at Stix-n-Riggin. Bryan's brother owns an hydraulics shop. They tested the shackle at 25,000 lbs and my post mortem on them found a construction technique that needed changing. I'm waiting for test results to hopefully bring my shackles above the present 260% strength of the Dyneema line.
I will remove my storm lines tomorrow and check for chafe.
I would offer them for sale on the forum if i new how to go about it. I'm selling Dyneema line organizers presently through Stix. They also use me for a source for shackles if they get too busy to make their own or need a special application. They don't tie the button knot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_121921.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	155132   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170808_163737.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	155133  

Name:	20170718_132347.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	155134  
Old 30-08-2017, 21:34   #32

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Those cleats are very strong, and through bolted to the dock structure. Seabrook shipyard has new, well made docks.
Ah, good. Thanks for the inside info!

Since you're still posting I'm guessing you weathered well, thankfully.
Old 31-08-2017, 04:26   #33

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Ah, good. Thanks for the inside info!

Since you're still posting I'm guessing you weathered well, thankfully.

All good here, re-assembled the boat yesterday, except for the Bimini.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 05:02   #34

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
All good here, re-assembled the boat yesterday, except for the Bimini.
I'll be there in the morning, doing the same thing. What did you find?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 06:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post

Silt in the parking lot......and all of the damm spiders made it through unscathed.
Old 31-08-2017, 06:30   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post

But we're in Kemah, not corpus.
Old 31-08-2017, 07:00   #37

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
SNIP

The soft shackle we use for attaching snubber to chain made with 6mm dyneema has held through several storms at anchor (prolonged 50-60 knots with higher gusts).

SNIP
Seaworthy Lass, thank you for all your advice and encouragement you provided me when I first started my soft shackle adventure; it was invaluable.

While I have found several uses for them I did not think about using one when anchoring.

I have a catamaran and currently use a nylon bridle attached to the anchor chain with a metal shackle. Could you advise me how you would attach a soft shackle. Maybe I am just over thinking this and it is a simple direct attachment.

In any case thanks again for all your good advice and your effort to keep us current with the state of soft shackles.

As an aside when another poster mentioned one needs to consider the time spent making a soft shackle I had to laugh. Once I use the online calculator to get the various measurements it only seems to take minutes to make one. The really time consuming part is putting the soft shackle on a fence post and using a come along to tighten things up; but if you do it in bulk after making several soft shackles things go really fast.

And thanks again for all your effort; you are a star at CF.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 20:46   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Seaworthy Lass, thank you for all your advice and encouragement you provided me when I first started my soft shackle adventure; it was invaluable.

While I have found several uses for them I did not think about using one when anchoring.

I have a catamaran and currently use a nylon bridle attached to the anchor chain with a metal shackle. Could you advise me how you would attach a soft shackle. Maybe I am just over thinking this and it is a simple direct attachment.

In any case thanks again for all your good advice and your effort to keep us current with the state of soft shackles.

As an aside when another poster mentioned one needs to consider the time spent making a soft shackle I had to laugh. Once I use the online calculator to get the various measurements it only seems to take minutes to make one. The really time consuming part is putting the soft shackle on a fence post and using a come along to tighten things up; but if you do it in bulk after making several soft shackles things go really fast.

And thanks again for all your effort; you are a star at CF.
Thanks for your kind words .

The attachment between snubber and chain is direct, so the thickness of dyneema you can use is limited. 6mm dyneema is the most you can easily poke through 10mm chain links. If you are making a high strength soft shackle it needs to be long enough so that the thicker portion with the tails buried is not going through the links.

I put an eye splice with a SS thimble in the nylon octoplait snubber. In the photo below a plastic one was used only as I had nothing else on hand at the time:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Snapseed.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	155185  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 21:24   #39
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I don't think he did and neither did you. There are no shackle pins used. The OP stated one of the reasons. Did you read his post?
I think you are being nit-picky, The point is that the bearing surface of the Dyneema is obviously less than that of the cleat bends and thus constitutes both a wear point and stress riser. I referred to Dyneema as cutting though the dock line in my post, making my meaning obvious.

Regarding pins, I assumed that was simply a brain fart. He would not have come up with the idea of a stress point if he had not looked at the picture.

I am 100% certain this would be stronger and wear better without the Dyneema. I have pull tested Dyneema against nylon and polyester in this way. One solution would be to put some webbing around the Dyneema. Of course, the cleat will give first and it is chafe and other factors (line length etc.) that matters.

The one argument I like was the cleat overfill issue. Yup, that can be a problem and this is possible solution. A simpler solution would be for each line to have a Dyneema loop at the end. Easier to make and easier to protect from chafe; Just cover it with either NER Spectra chafe sleeve or tubular webbing dipped in Maxijacket.
Old 31-08-2017, 21:43   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

I am 100% certain this would be stronger and wear better without the Dyneema. I have pull tested Dyneema against nylon and polyester in this way. One solution would be to put some webbing around the Dyneema. Of course, the cleat will give first and it is chafe and other factors (line length etc.) that matters.

The one argument I like was the cleat overfill issue. Yup, that can be a problem and this is possible solution. A simpler solution would be for each line to have a Dyneema loop at the end. Easier to make and easier to protect from chafe; Just cover it with either NER Spectra chafe sleeve or tubular webbing dipped in Maxijacket.
Chafe is my biggest concern (the bollards on board are super strong). Our bulwarks are fairly high and the line will be rubbing the top of these. I mentioned in my earlier post that I was planning to make some dyneema loops for this application (and cow hitching this to an eye splice on the line). I had not considered adding chafe protection to the eye splice in the mooring line attached to it. Do you think this is required?

Old 31-08-2017, 22:03   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I had not considered adding chafe protection to the eye splice in the mooring line attached to it. Do you think this is required?
Cheap insurance; it's easy to cut through nylon.

Ann
Old 01-09-2017, 03:51   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Cheap insurance; it's easy to cut through nylon.

Ann
I am considering using a type of mooring line used extensively by fishing boats here in the Netherlands. It is something a local aluminium Stadship owner recommended: Lankhorst Rope's Tipto 12.

There is not much information regarding its specifications, but unlike nylon it is listed as having "very good" chafe and UV resistance. The strength is similar to nylon & polyster. The stretch characteristics are closer to nylon. It is around half the weight of polyester. It floats so this minimises the risk of being caught in the prop. It is inexpensive.

The drawbacks are that it doesn't handle as well (or look as flash) and it is more slippery, but I think its positives easily outweight the negatives.

I am just working out how to eye splice it. The only instructions I can find are a Youtube in Dutch and I am scratching my head trying to figure it out.

SWL

Old 01-09-2017, 03:59   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I am considering using a type of mooring line used extensively by fishing boats here in the Netherlands. It is something a local aluminium Stadship owner recommended: Lankhorst Rope's Tipto 12.

There is not much information regarding its specifications, but unlike nylon it is listed as having "very good" chafe and UV resistance. The strength is similar to nylon & polyster. The stretch characteristics are closer to nylon. It is around half the weight of polyester. It floats so this minimises the risk of being caught in the prop. It is inexpensive.

The drawbacks are that it doesn't handle as well (or look as flash) and it is more slippery, but I think its positives easily outweight the negatives.

I am just working out how to eye splice it. The only instructions I can find are a Youtube in Dutch and I am scratching my head trying to figure it out.

SWL
It's actually available in Australia:
12 Strand Tipto Twelve

"Material: High tenacity Polypropylene"

Their PDF splicing instructions here (in English):

http://www.leaustralia.com.au/templa...structions.pdf

Also, brochure here: http://www.lankhorstropes.com/bestan...lve%20(R2).pdf
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:46   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It's actually available in Australia:
12 Strand Tipto Twelve

"Material: High tenacity Polypropylene"

Their PDF splicing instructions here (in English):

http://www.leaustralia.com.au/templa...structions.pdf

Also, brochure here: http://www.lankhorstropes.com/bestan...lve%20(R2).pdf
Thanks for this, Stu. I was truly baffled by the Dutch instructions I found.

The pdf I loaded did not list the material. Lankhorst simply implied it was possibly some kind of recycled plastic. I looked up the specs of standard polypropelene, but they did not match (eg specific gravity was highe for Tipto).

I will have a go splicing it tonight. I bought 12m of 16mm just to make a short, easy to use dockline. These are always handy.

For those unfamiliar with it (as I was), this what Tipto looks like:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3230.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	155198  

Old 01-09-2017, 05:24   #45
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
.....The stretch characteristics are closer to nylon.......
Doesn't it look a bit low from this website for used rope?
TIPTO TWELVE

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat