Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2017, 09:46   #16

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Homemade shackles secure our boat during Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Pretty cool way of doing it.

Question... Is that the diamond knot? I didn't see the tails coming through the aft end like normal. Is there a new recommended knot to tie for these?

Matt

Google image search answered the question for me. The Button Stopper knot.

Carry on,

Matt
Old 30-08-2017, 09:48   #17

Before I leave for the summer I tie my boat to the PILINGS as the dock cleats on some other boats during Wilma pulled out.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 10:08   #18

Boat: Brewer ketch 44'

Not obvious (to me) from the pics. How did you make them?
elschwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 10:43   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by const0022 View Post
Ok, But can't see any reason to introduce 'Home made shackles' into this situation. Why not just half hitch your black docklines straight to the cleats with chafe protection where necessary on the cleans or ropes themselves. Your method just makes for more possible failures, though appreciate it didn't!!!!!
Several reason for using them spring to mind:
- Dyneema + chafe protection has been chafe resistance than polyester + similar protection.
- All the mooring lines can be removed easily (eg to replace or reposition them) if needed without disturbing the other lines.
- 3 or more lots of lines may not fit around the cleat still leaving the cleat usable for other lines if necessary.

Well made soft shackles have a breaking load of roughly 170% of the dyneema line used if a Diamond knot is used, and roughly 230% if a high strength version is made. There are various types of stoppers that can be used to make the latter, including toggles.

I would not hestitate to use any of my soft shackles in this application if an appropriate thickness of dyneema was used (although I am planning to shortly make some dyneema loops for this purpose). I would be more worried about the cleat . The soft shackle we use for attaching snubber to chain made with 6mm dyneema has held through several storms at anchor (prolonged 50-60 knots with higher gusts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elschwieb View Post
Not obvious (to me) from the pics. How did you make them?
If that is Brion Toss's Button stopper and a high strength version was made using this, then instructions can be found here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ot-155591.html

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 10:59   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If that is a soft shackle made with a Button stopper, this is what they look like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2564.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	155115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	155116  

Old 30-08-2017, 11:28   #21

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimtex View Post
I trust my shackles so much that secured our home using them here in Seabrook Marina. Seabrook TX. Winds are tropical storm force and water rose 6 ft. So far.
Everything is good. Shackles working flawlessly. Note extra room on the dock cleats from using them in case I need to add more line.
I can't help but ask, with the price of shackles, would you invest so much in making them? Even if material is reasonable labor must be considered. Perhaps is more a fun project?
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 11:56   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You did look at the photos?
I think he did. The Dyneema would cut through the nylon at high load. That is also where the chafe will happen.

And why not tubular webbing for chafe, in keeping with the DIY theme?

I'm confused by the need. Just loop the rope around the cleat and use tubular webbing for chafe.
Old 30-08-2017, 13:43   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Several reason for using them spring to mind:
- Dyneema + chafe protection has been chafe resistance than polyester + similar protection.
- All the mooring lines can be removed easily (eg to replace or reposition them) if needed without disturbing the other lines.
- 3 or more lots of lines may not fit around the cleat still leaving the cleat usable for other lines if necessary.

Well made soft shackles have a breaking load of roughly 170% of the dyneema line used if a Diamond knot is used, and roughly 230% if a high strength version is made. There are various types of stoppers that can be used to make the latter, including toggles.

I would not hestitate to use any of my soft shackles in this application if an appropriate thickness of dyneema was used (although I am planning to shortly make some dyneema loops for this purpose). I would be more worried about the cleat . The soft shackle we use for attaching snubber to chain made with 6mm dyneema has held through several storms at anchor (prolonged 50-60 knots with higher gusts).

If that is Brion Toss's Button stopper and a high strength version was made using this, then instructions can be found here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ot-155591.html

SWL
I agree the dock cleat looks a bit flimsy. Just 2 bolts holding it to the wood dock?
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 14:17   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I think he did. The Dyneema would cut through the nylon at high load. That is also where the chafe will happen.

And why not tubular webbing for chafe, in keeping with the DIY theme?

I'm confused by the need. Just loop the rope around the cleat and use tubular webbing for chafe.
I don't think he did and neither did you. There are no shackle pins used. The OP stated one of the reasons. Did you read his post?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 15:35   #25

Boat: Currently in between

I really like it, nice idea. I, too, worry about the cleat. The cleat is the weak point in this setup.
Old 30-08-2017, 15:40   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Pretty cool way of doing it.

Question... Is that the diamond knot? I didn't see the tails coming through the aft end like normal. Is there a new recommended knot to tie for these?

Matt
Check out Seaworthy Lass' thread about the Crown Jewels Knot, using the CF Custom Google Search under the Search menu.

Ann
Old 30-08-2017, 15:50   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I can't help but ask, with the price of shackles, would you invest so much in making them? Even if material is reasonable labor must be considered. Perhaps is more a fun project?
I enjoy sitting making them in the evening :-)
I don't cost the labour any more than I do when I'm reading a book in the evening.

(If I were making them to sell, it would be a different matter).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 15:54   #28

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I really like it, nice idea. I, too, worry about the cleat. The cleat is the weak point in this setup.
Those cleats are very strong, and through bolted to the dock structure. Seabrook shipyard has new, well made docks.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 16:02   #29

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimtex View Post
I trust my shackles so much that secured our home using them here in Seabrook Marina. Seabrook TX. Winds are tropical storm force and water rose 6 ft. So far.
Everything is good. Shackles working flawlessly. Note extra room on the dock cleats from using them in case I need to add more line.
With Australian TV news, we see the unfortunate in the Gulf and east coast devastation, my heart felt sympathies go out to thoughts suffering in Texas floods.

Thanks for your impressive soft shackle test.
I have made a few of the soft shackles and over a year have use one to lift my dingy on the deck. Out of interest can you tell me what covering did your dad use over the soft Shackles to prevent chaff and what size are the shackles lines dimension he used to make them?

Fair winds,

Kryg,
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 16:13   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I make them as I enjoy ropework (mild understatement ) and working with dyneema is particularly enjoyable as it is a new and exciting area.

The advancements are occuring so rapidly that textbooks and manufacturers are not keeping up with them. The majority of designs on the market currently date back to soft shackles first produced nearly a decade ago. These are inferior both in handling and strength.

The bottom line is that if they are made well (and care does need to be taken), homemade soft shackles are superior to most you can buy. Remember that "manufactured" ones are still 100% handmade. The quality will depend not only on the design, but on the skill of the person employed to make them.

At a boat show this year I watched one of these people who was employed by a large commercial distributor of rope and manufacturer of soft shackles, give instructions to a small group. I was not impressed. Chatting with him did not help.

SWL

Tags
boat