Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2006, 16:13   #1

Holland, Germany and Frisian Islands

Anyone there cruised to holland and the Frisian Islands? I'm planning a quick week's cruise from the united Kingdom and would be most gratdfeul for any helpful advice or places to go / avoid.

Thanks. Berneray
berneray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2006, 00:58   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Try YBW.com

Hi Berneray,

Whilst there are some EU cruisers use this board who can maybe answer the question - you'll possibly find a higher percentage of EU ones in the forums at www.ybw.com.

Cheers
JOHN
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2006, 06:23   #3

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Berneray:

We've been to the Frisians several times and spent about 5 weeks in the Netherlands' canals & 'Schelde' estuaries. Here are a few thoughts...

In addition to the ybw forum mentioned, drop in on the SSCA Discusssion Board with your Q; there are several there who've visited N Europe. http://ssca.org/sscabb/index.php Better yet, get a copy of the SSCA CD of 10 years of Bulletins and use Adobe Reader to do selective searching on letters which describe in detail the cruising spots and issues in that region; there are a number of recent letters with very useful info and the CD is only $25.

Related to the above, the Brian Navin guide was - I found - awkward to use and poorly assembled. It's perhaps the worst guide I've had to use so far, tho' I don't fault Brian but rather the publisher. Perhaps the new edition is better (?). Consequently, I found the CD very helpful.

Visit the CA House in the Docklands area of London on the Thames. Or visit their website http://www.cruising.org.uk/ to look at the pubs they author. These are considered 'supplements' to the established guides but may well prove their worth. Moreover, consider joining one of their cruises in that area. Lots of folks there who are intimately familiar with these cruising grounds.

You're too optimistic in your view of this area being suitable for a 'quick week-long visit'. The North Sea weather alone can abruptly change your schedule...and then there are tidal issues when visiting the Frisians. I'd suggest you take a more realistic view, perhaps by at least considering the option of leaving your boat in a convenient spot for a period and ferrying back to Britain. Weather systems there can throw a spanner into schedules even in the midst of summer, I'm afraid.

Good luck and enjoy the canals!

Jack

Tags
Germany, Holland