Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 21:21   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Hit Something Today

We were coming back into the marina on a track I've been on countless times when all of a sudden we heard and felt a big thump. The boat pitched forward a bit, and then kept on going like nothing had happened. Steering was responsive, the prop didn't seem to be fouled, and the bilge was dry, so I proceeded the two or three minutes into the slip. We inspected much more thoroughly once tied up, and all seemed to be ok. Scared the crap out of me though!

I can only assume that it was some submerged remnant of the old tire/barrel breakwater, and I can't help but be irritated by that. I was in about 13 feet of water and absolutely nothing was marked. A few pieces of that old breakwater are still afloat and tethered, but are entirely unmarked...no buoy, no beacon, nothing. Seems ridiculous to me.

I've been considering moving to another marina on the lake and this might expedite that process.

We sat in the slip for an hour or so to make sure the boat wasn't taking on water, and it wasn't, but now I am home (an hour from the boat) and can't shake visions of it sinking.
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 21:56   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hit something today

i'm not sure about your keel attachment but if it's a bolt on, you might want to check the foot to see if it has any stress cracks. I seem to remember they had a fin keel with a very small flair pre-skeg. So the rudder might have been stressed too. Perhaps a dive on it would be sufficient or maybe hauled out in the slings for a close look. Why take chances?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 22:13   #3

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Exclamation Re: Hit something today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
i'm not sure about your keel attachment but if it's a bolt on, you might want to check the foot to see if it has any stress cracks. I seem to remember they had a fin keel with a very small flair pre-skeg. So the rudder might have been stressed too. Perhaps a dive on it would be sufficient or maybe hauled out in the slings for a close look. Why take chances?
This is VERY GOOD Advice!!!!!

Good luck

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote