Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 20:03   #1

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
High Peak Island

Just realised Shoalwater Bay Area is closed for soldier games when we are going through in a few weeks so Pearl Bay etc is off limits.
Has any one anchored overnight at High Peak enroute to Great Keppel?
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 21:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: High Peak Island

I haven't, but you find may this from Alan Lucas, Cruising The Coral Coast of interest:

"... can only be recommended as an interim anchorage if the Shoalwater Bay Training Area is active. The anchorage is good holding but very swell-prone and care should be taken to avoid the scattered coral heads along the fringing reef.."

and

"..Despite being very uncomfortable, the trade wind anchorage under High Peak Island" might be considered as an alternative to coastal anchorages...when the Shoalwater Bay Military training AArea is closed to the public"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 22:37   #3

[QUOTE=StuM;1922313]I haven't, but you find may this from Alan Lucas, Cruising The Coral Coast of interest:

"... can only be recommended as an interim anchorage if the Shoalwater Bay Training Area is active. The anchorage is good holding but very swell-prone and care should be taken to avoid the scattered coral heads along the fringing reef.."

and

"..Despite being very uncomfortable, the trade wind anchorage under High Peak Island" might be considered as an alternative to coastal anchorages...when the Shoalwater Bay Military training AArea is closed to the public"
[/QUOTE

Yes I read that just prior to posting and does not sound inviting and does not mention non trade Northerlies which I hope are in by the time we get there.
Chris
Old 24-09-2015, 22:45   #4

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

I have years ago in a strong wind warning, wasn't great. Should be tolerable overnight in good weather.
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 23:09   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

[/I][/QUOTE

Yes I read that just prior to posting and does not sound inviting and does not mention non trade Northerlies which I hope are in by the time we get there.
Chris[/QUOTE]

Chris, if you have northerlies, maybe you shouldn't be stopping! Our policy when trying to get back down the Qld coast is to use every hour of favorable winds that are available. Time for gunkholing when going north!

Jim
Old 25-09-2015, 00:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
[/I][/QUOTE

Chris
Chris, if you have northerlies, maybe you shouldn't be stopping! Our policy when trying to get back down the Qld coast is to use every hour of favorable winds that are available. Time for gunkholing when going north!

Jim[/QUOTE]
Yes I can't argue with that and have been doing plenty of it the last few months and do not want to be south of Fraser until late November.
But happily admit we are coastal day cruisers and this time looking to get from Middle Percy to Keppels without too much night travel.
Chris
Old 25-09-2015, 01:37   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post

Jim
Yes I can't argue with that and have been doing plenty of it the last few months and do not want to be south of Fraser until late November.
But happily admit we are coastal day cruisers and this time looking to get from Middle Percy to Keppels without too much night travel.
Chris[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, Chris. Hope that you get the conditions that you want!

We plan leaving New Caledonia in early November (visa runs out), so might encounter you somewhere along our way to Tassie.

Jim
Old 25-09-2015, 01:58   #8

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Chris,
I posted on the site a week ago advising of the shutout and further to that I rang the contact number or the range today and was told that there will be no amendments to the mariners notice and that the SWB area will be shut for the entire period from 2 Oct to 26 Nov. Advised that the Singaporean Navy will be involved in the games and 45 day notice had been given to ensure as many mariners were aware of the closure of the normal anchorages.
Our intention is to stage at the Percy Islands or Duke Island then have an early start and head for Great Keppel or Rosalyn Bay. Long day but not an overnighter. Our calculations make it 90 odd nautical miles from the Duke Islands to Great Keppel Island.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Lagoon 410
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 02:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi Chris,
I posted on the site a week ago advising of the shutout and further to that I rang the contact number or the range today and was told that there will be no amendments to the mariners notice and that the SWB area will be shut for the entire period from 2 Oct to 26 Nov. Advised that the Singaporean Navy will be involved in the games and 45 day notice had been given to ensure as many mariners were aware of the closure of the normal anchorages.
Our intention is to stage at the Percy Islands or Duke Island then have an early start and head for Great Keppel or Rosalyn Bay. Long day but not an overnighter. Our calculations make it 90 odd nautical miles from the Duke Islands to Great Keppel Island.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Lagoon 410
Thanks Greg and Sue
Middle Percy to GKI close to 105 NM so close to 19 hrs for us so close to overnighter
High peak is back closer to 70 odd and we just did a 71 in 13 hours without much wind assist.
Either way it will be a very early start.
Chris
Old 12-10-2015, 08:08   #10

We are in the same position heading south planning on High peak late October.
but was thinking if winds light enough go from Percy's or Duke and catch a few hours sleep at Cheviot Island then continue on. On the video below shows a few boys hiding out for a couple of days at high peak to get out of the wind at 07:10 it captures a snap shot of the island
DAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 15:30   #11

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all,
please see latest update in general sailing thread. Some anchorages now open. See Department of Transport and Main Roads - Maritime Safety Queensland
NOTICE TO MARINERS
304 (T) 2015

Greg and Sue
Sunshine
Lagoon 410S2
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 15:40   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

URL for Notice PDF including revised map of exclusion areas is here: