Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2003, 13:24   #1

Thumbs up Heyyyy you guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys!

I, yes I , being the reticent type, sometimes do come up with a post or two if I can overcome a deep seated shyness. This time is a wonderfull thing. What was it? Hmmm. Hmmm. Thought I had it, it was right here aminnit ago- Ohhhh Yeahhhh. I have been to several BBs', and the subject of what boat is best for going around the world/ blue water sailing/ etc-etc-etc. I have found a site to answer that question. Check out the choices on the Latitude 38 Circumnavigators List. This will answer this question handily. Unfortunately, my efforts at linking to it fail, so just type it in your engine and be ENLIGHTENED !!
WHO WAS IT SAID GRUNT-GRUNT-GRUNT- OBSCENE GESTURE , HMMMMMMMM? I get a wonderfull minimalist outlook, and someone else has to join in.
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 14:06   #2

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Hey 29Cascadefixer,

I'll match you, your Latitude 38 circumnavigators list,and raise you one "http://www.mahina.com/ site for a good location to learn about and select blue water boats
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 15:32   #3

Hey !!! That is a good one

Beats mine as far as info goes. What struck me about the Latitude site was the VARIETY . Man, there must have been every boat ever made . Looks to me that ya make a choice and make it work.
Old 02-10-2003, 15:43   #4

No Bites

@ Cruisers Forum > General Sailing & Sailboats > Sailing Forum > Newbie Question

Seem to be signs of life here, any comments about single handing ?

Troubledour
Troubledour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 02:58   #5

Oh ( blushblush) my, Sorry

Mr. Troubledour ,SIR ! Gad. I SHOULD have posted this on your post, but as is obvious, I did not. Once again,my apologies. A sail boat, in my opinion, reflects the owners vision on what he/she wants to plant the bazoo upon. The first time guy/gal , I would say, looks at all possibilities. Hull material, rig ( I personally love the ketch rig, but can't afford one) size, etc-etc. Something will grab you,believe me. There has been a lot of talk on making an informed decision, but go with what grabs you. Ya start taking others advice, and you wind up with a boat chosen by committee. As the Latitudes list shows, Ya makes your choice and if it is REALLY your choice, it will work for ya. You will put up with the shortcomings because ya love the thing. By the time ya start with what grabs ya, ya tweak and tweak at it till even the oders from your cooking soaks into it and lets everybody know that it's reflecting you and the way you live.
Well that drains the bilge in my brainpan. Back at'cha , Sir.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:53   #6

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Hey guys,

Some good comments here.29cascadefixer, yeah I like the Mahina site.I think they provide a good un-biased viewpoint of boats worthy of taking out in open water.I'm not sure what your long term goals are, but mine are to eventually cruise down through the Caribbean,and from there,who knows.As far as choosing my next boat,I've been reviewing boats for about a year now.What ever boat I eventually buy will have to be blue water capable.So, that sets my first criteria for the boat.Next, I single-hand a lot,so the boat will have to be fairly easy for me to sail.What that means to me is, basically a sloop rigged (possibly fractional) boat,having all lines lead aft, the mainsheet somewhere close to the wheel, winches with easy access, roller furled genny, and a comfortable cockpit with good drainage.Below,the boat must have plenty of storage, a good sea berth,good hand holds on the cabin top,a good navigation station,preferrably a galley with a deep two bowl sink, at least a hundred gallons of water storage, ,etc.I could go on here,but I don't want to bore you guys.As far as a live aboard cruiser,there are so many things to take into consideration. I've closely reviewed probably hundreds of boats,and now my list is down to about a dozen or so that I believe will work for me.I'm not sure what you guys are looking for.Troubledour, you ask the question,"any comments about single handing ?" As I mention previously, I single-hand a lot.I've sailed my 26 footer from the states to the Bahamas,Dry Tortugas,and several other locations.I could tell you about all the stupid mistakes I've made , or I can tell you about the things I've learned.What type of information are you looking for?
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:07   #7

hmmm

Well, I know that I'm going to start with a day sailor. Aside from cat boats on lakes I have very little sailing experience but considerable powerboat experience. I (currently) live well inland & the largest bodies of water close to me are Lake Michigan to the north & Kentucky Lakes to the south. And the river, of course, I'm out on the river quite a bit.

I'm also a pilot (private) & know that there are "trainers" that almost seem to have been intentionally designed to isolate you from the experience of flying & from which you learn little. Then there are TRAINERS which require you to actually learn to fly & control an aircraft in a variety conditions. In a day sailor, I'm looking for the latter.

As for an eventual live aboard cruiser, I know that I'll end up with something used, perhaps very used. I like the older classics, probably a fin keel with a sloop rig or perhaps a schooner & I do know that I’ll prefer wood. I understand the difficulties as well as the benefits of wood construction & can live with those factors. My question here is how much of a boat should I be looking for, is there an upper limit on what a single hander can expect to handle him/herself ?

Of course, I hope to cruise as a mere skipper with a lovely & fragrant admiral (other than a cranky old cat, if both my rank will indeed be low) & to me this seems to suggest a fairly large sailboat. Then again, and if for no other reason than crew safety, the boat should be an easily manageable single hander.

I understand that this has a lot to do with rigging & equipment & I also understand that on bigger boats most necessary components are simply bigger, heavier & harder to manage alone … sails, anchors, chain & line, etc. Even if we neglect the above, I would expect the simple increased distance from cockpit to mast & bow to be a factor.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the women, I'm thinking that at a fairly stout 6’ & 190 that I’ll have less trouble with simple weight & force than most women & have set safe handling by a woman other than Zena the Warrior Princess as a requirement. I apply this same precaution to flying (in flying, however, brute strength just isn’t a factor under anything at all like normal circumstances). I feel that in the event that I’m unexpectedly decommissioned en route, whoever happens to be aboard should be capable of getting the boat, & far more importantly herself, safely to port. I just don’t know where that practical limit is. I did melt down some plastic yesterday evening during a visit to amazon.com & expect some reading to help clear this up for me.

So, to summarize, at this time I'm actually looking for 2 different boats. I don't think I'm ready to sail a boat substantial enough for a couple to live on & fully expect whatever live aboard cruiser I buy to require attention, perhaps a complete rebuild/refit. I could find & buy this boat today or tomorrow & still be a year or two or more away from any attempt at solo sailing with her.

With that in mind, I intend to buy a day sailor (I went & looked at a Catalina 30 yesterday, thought the price was rich but will do comparison shopping online later today). This is a little larger than what I had in mind for a starter but no doubt some experience with a boat that I can sail myself & also weekend on will answer many of my questions about rigging & equipping an eventual cruiser.

My only real criteria for the day sailor is that she be a boat that won't kill me while I'm learning, yet still be a challenging boat that will require me to develop real skills. For this purpose fiberglass will be fine, perhaps even preferable as I intend to sell her at the point where I'm ready to move aboard another & get underway.

Troubledour
Old 03-10-2003, 14:42   #8

pirate Okay Troob.

For a daysailor I would give a serious look at a West Wright Potter. It, in my opinion would be just about perfect for this. Years ago I was looking for a good daysailor with the capability of being a weekender and gave serious consideration to this craft. Another one, if you could find one , was called an American Eagle. It was a very proper pocket yacht. Gaff rigged, lovely boat. Probably not what your looking for, but a joy to behold. Remember what I told ya about a "Grabber" boat. It was one for me. Haven't seen one in years. Has a special place . Sorry--ahem--check out the west wight potter.
Old 03-10-2003, 20:14   #9

Thanks

I will check those out. Like I say, I'm not looking for the ultimate heart-throb in a day sailor, just a good durable trainer that will ultimately be sold off, but she might as well be a nice one.

If it did turn out to be a "grabber" it wouldn't be the first time that I bought a "utility" vehicle for a specific purpose that I ended up really liking.

I'm thinking of an '81 Pontiac wagon that I bought to use as a truck. That car just did everything that I needed a car to do, the "front room" was flawless and spacious, the back deck more than adequate & secure for my tools & still a smaller & lighter car than my '69 Firebird floptop.

A fresh 383 small block / 700R4 combo, a set of 1/4 ton El Camino springs & a good hitch made her an actually fun "truck" that allowed beyond outrageous speakers to be set a few feet back. Long story short, the "truck" that I expected to drive once or twice a week became my daily driver over the old 'bird & a newer '78 TA, so I've sort of been there.

When I'm actually out looking for "the" grabber (the cruiser) I'll be looking for something like the Piper PA-12 SuperCruiser that I had for awhile. Everybody pointed & laughed at that old "chub" but I loved her dearly & she did exactly what I wanted an airplane to do ... cost not much, hauled whatever/whoever I could stuff through the door & she did it with the grace & dignity of the fine old lady that she was.

Thanks again for your suggestions, I'll check them out.

Troubledour
Old 03-10-2003, 20:45   #10

Stede

Lessons learned, mistakes, things that you felt you did right ... write what you want, I'll read with interest.

Troubledour
Old 04-10-2003, 01:56   #11

Also Stede

Good Post

(http://www.mahina.com/)

Thank you, Troubledour