Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2022, 05:23   #1

Boat: Hunter 33
Help Yanmar 4by3 won’t start

Cruising along and it just died. Water separator had bad fuel in it so I changed it and the big primary fuel filter. Still won’t start. No engine alarms.

It cranks fine, all fluids are good, oil pressure gauge reads while cranking. I cracked big nut on top of large primary filter and fuel comes out.

Any ideas? Fuel relay? I found some relays in the black ecu box but not sure which one is fuel?

I’m am south of crooked island cruising on one engine heading to crooked island marina hoping they have services there
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:02   #2

Re: Help Yanmar 4by3 won’t start

I found the fuses and they are all good
Old 05-07-2022, 14:24   #3

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

When you say "bad fuel", do you mean it had water in it, or muck/sediment?

If it cranks but won't fire, then it's likely not getting fuel. Have you checked/changed the secondary fuel filter and the lift pump screen?

Did you get air in the system when you changed the primary? Have you tried bleeding/purging the fuel lines?
Old 05-07-2022, 15:00   #4

Yes water and some sediment in the fuel separator, it’s electronic fuel pump so no screen or lift pump. I cracked the bolt on top of the primary to bleed it. Injector lines I haven’t tried yet because they are very difficult to get to and I don’t have the right wrench for them
Old 05-07-2022, 16:36   #5

This is a common rail computer controlled engine not the familiar mechanical pump and injectors so the problems are bit harder to solve. Certainly the primary fuel supply should be carefully inspected and tested for air leaks and restrictions but if this all checks out and you have an air free supply of clean fuel the diagnosis becomes a bit more difficult because it is very possible that one of the sensors is the culprit, sometimes it’s one of the two on the actual common rail but you really need to access the error codes to establish what’s causing the ECU to deny startup.
Be very careful about dead cranking the engine for too long, it’s possible to flood the exhaust to the point where the back pressure becomes problematic and in the very worst case raw water can reach the exhaust manifold. Just close the raw water intake till she fires up.
Dirty fuel is really really bad for common rail engines in ways far beyond what’s bad for mechanically injected old style fuel systems, the pressures and tolerances far exceed those in traditional injection systems.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 17:03   #6

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
This is a common rail computer controlled engine not the familiar mechanical pump and injectors so the problems are bit harder to solve. Certainly the primary fuel supply should be carefully inspected and tested for air leaks and restrictions but if this all checks out and you have an air free supply of clean fuel the diagnosis becomes a bit more difficult because it is very possible that one of the sensors is the culprit, sometimes it’s one of the two on the actual common rail but you really need to access the error codes to establish what’s causing the ECU to deny startup.
Good info. I'm not familiar with the 4VY3 and didn't realize it was ECU controlled.

One thing though - I didn't see mention of filters beyond the primary/water separator - Does the 4BY3 not have a secondary filter? I'd think that if the fuel was bad enough to warrant changing the primary, then a secondary would also need a change, as well as an air bleed after both.
Old 05-07-2022, 18:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana Daz View Post
Good info. I'm not familiar with the 4VY3 and didn't realize it was ECU controlled.

One thing though - I didn't see mention of filters beyond the primary/water separator - Does the 4BY3 not have a secondary filter? I'd think that if the fuel was bad enough to warrant changing the primary, then a secondary would also need a change, as well as an air bleed after both.

You’re right, no mention of the secondary filter, there is an engine mounted filter with an optional sediment bowl and alarm sensor shown in the parts manual. After an incident with contaminated fuel it would be prudent to change all the filters...... on both engines.
Old 05-07-2022, 23:03   #8

If you need a full list of error codes look up a 2020 CF thread re “Yanmar 4BY3 alarms” they are all listed there.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:37   #9

Both filters changed and took it apart all the way to pulling out injectors.

I have fuel from the low pressure pump but not getting to the rail from high injection pump.

Unfortunately I’m not in a place that I can find diagnostics. The only help I have is the dude that maintains the generator used for the island.

Do you know if unplugging a bad sensor will allow it to start?
Old 06-07-2022, 16:01   #10

No HP fuel flow is a little more complex because there should at least be bypass fuel happening but check the easy stuff first, sticky neutral switch on shift control is a definite candidate. There is still a chance there’s an airlock somewhere and regarding sensors, your best shot here is to swap them one at a time from the happy engine but remember to be really careful with the manifold ones, it’s really high pressure fuel there and can be dangerous.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:40   #11

I have a 4BY2for Yanmar 2011. The issue I’ve had was a burned relay in the ECM black box attached to the engine. It controls the high-pressure fuel pump. When the ignition is turned on, before you crank, you should be able to hear and feel the fuel pump. NAPA carries the fuel relay, just get the correct number. There is a Yanmar dealer in Nassau, and if push comes to shove he will fly to where the boat is. If you do have a code reader you need to have an adapter that plugs in to the black box which is only available from Yanmar.
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:14   #12

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Disconnect your fuel line at the tank-side of your racor filter and purge it with an air compressor. You could have a clogged fuel pickup down at the bottom of your fuel tank and the compressed air will blow it out.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD527 View Post
Cruising along and it just died. Water separator had bad fuel in it so I changed it and the big primary fuel filter. Still won’t start. No engine alarms.

It cranks fine, all fluids are good, oil pressure gauge reads while cranking. I cracked big nut on top of large primary filter and fuel comes out.

Any ideas? Fuel relay? I found some relays in the black ecu box but not sure which one is fuel?

I’m am south of crooked island cruising on one engine heading to crooked island marina hoping they have services there
Hi Your problem started after an engine stall due to clogged filters
bleeding the fuel lines is the cure and get a wrench to fit!
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar