Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2019, 07:30   #1

Help with BVI and surrounding Islands Please

Any help or thoughts truly very gratefully received.

I am considering having a 50 foot yacht shipped to St Thomas in January.

I may need to keep the yacht somewhere in the area for up to a month and then depart cruising.

Please can I have some thoughts on good local marinas and, if possible an idea of rates.

I am familiar with Nanny and Crown Bay. I am also familiar with Antugua.

Preferably Antigua would be absolutely as far as I would wish to go immediately. Ideally the closer the better.

Also any thoughts on passage time to Antigua from St Thomas please. If necessary lots of motoring would be fine and we cruise at around 7 knots under engine.

Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 09:40   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats
Re: Help with BVI and surrounding Islands Please

Antigua or St-Martine would be easiest to travel to by plane.
Thay both have lots of marinas
Nany cay BVI's is also good.

Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 13:41   #3

Boat: Privilege 495

The St. Thomas is less than 200nm from Antigua so at 7kts itís less than 30 hrs motoring. You could do that in one run or break it up into 3 day trips.

Where are you shipping the boat from? Shipping is $$$. It is probably way more cost effective and less hassle to have a crew deliver it for you.

They could deliver it so that it arrives at you final destination just a few days before you arrive so thereís no need to find a long term slip.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 15:49   #4

Thanks for the replies so far.

It is from the UK so not the best time of year for delivery and anyway there would be a fair amount of wear and tear and a much longer passage than the 10 days on a carrier.

Yes, I have checked on the route distance to Antigua and came to much the same conclusion.

I think it would likely be pretty much into the swell and wind (am I correct?) so perhaps not the best direction?

I have some prices now and the marinas have been really good at replying.

Antigua has some attractions because I know it well.

Any other thoughts very grateully received please, and especially passaging to Antigua.
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 09:33   #5

Boat: Outbound 46

The passage from the BVI's to St. Martin is one of the most unpleasant we have ever experienced. More than 100 nm bashing directly into the prevailing wind, and large and confused waves. Even motoring, you'll be very happy when the voyage ends. My wife never gets seasick - except on that passage. We've done it twice, once in late December and once in mid-January.

Is there a reason you don't ship her to St. Martin or Antigua?
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 09:46   #6

Boat: Cal-40

Starting in December the prevailing winds are East or North East often 25kts. Once you leave the BVI’s your going to have this in your face the whole time. Wife and I live full time in the Caribbean (Martinique) and we try to keep our sailing to North and South as much as possible.... we hate the East and West route, well going east anyway.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 10:31   #7

Boat: PDQ 44i

If you want to store a 50 ft yacht for a month and use her in St Thomas, I'd contact Penn's Landing, BVI. I'd contract for a mooring at monthly rates, with caretaking services to be sure she is safe. I think they can handle a 50 footer, and they are good people.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 14:03   #8

Boat: Taswell 43

Penns Landing is a very good spot, but it's shallow....your draft may be an issue. And as an American, a 30-day visa is all I can get,,,,depending on your passport that may be an issue, too. Penns Landing is near the airport, and the bus service to Road Town gives a doable way to ferries. On St Thomas, it may be worth checking Independent Boatyard and/or Compass Point Marina; Crown Bay and Yacht Haven are now crazy expensive(I think), and I don't know the rates at Red Hook(American Yacht Harbor). Value for dollar-I'd suggest Puerto Del Rey Marina in Fajardo, Puerto Rico, or the marina at Palmas Del Mar. It would be an easy 40nm sail there from St Thomas, but the trades will make the trip back east a real slog. Maybe even a mooring ball, with a boat tender, at Sopers Hole, Tortola might work...but then you're back to the BVI and the 30-day limit question.

sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, lease