Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 23:31   #1
Marine Service Provider

Help...Weather

My family and i are due to fly to Beaufort NC at the end of this month and our 47 ft catamaran is on the hard at Jarred Bay. The weather seems awful and cold. Am i going to be able to work on the outside at all or is it not possible. I need to polish the hull, replace rigging wire, fit radar etc. Bearing in mind that its 30 degrees celsius here in Cape Town at the moment ! I also need to rent a truck and drive to NY to collect my parts and stuff that i have shipped from Cape town.This will be around 10th of feb. Are the roads all iced up around that time ? Any advice welcome. Thanks
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:44   #2

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Hi Chris,
I'll give you a lawyer answer..."it depends". I just spent the month of Dec-Jan on the hard in St. Marys, GA. Night time temperatures in the teens. However, during the day, I was able to paint the bottom, compound and wax the hull, and do minor repairs. You should find similar conditions in Beaufort but it really depends. Jan-Feb in that region can be awful or mild. As far as the roads to New York are concerned...it depends. If you avoid a known snow storm (like the one they are having right now), it would be an easy run. The truth is, even if you get caught in a storm, they are masters at clearing the roads (except in NY city). Even in the worst conditions, they will usually have the roads cleared within 24 hours. I would not let the concerns you expressed concern me. Go for it and best of luck.
jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

You should be OK in Beaufort... I wintered there and Oriental a coupla times... it does get cold nights but the days are generally not to bad... Beauforts a tad milder being on the coast than Oriental just up the ICW... one gets a light dusting of snow.. the other an inch...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote