Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 12:53   #1

Help to narrow selection of boat

I am going to be retired next year and am selling everything and leaving. I have looked at a ton of sail boats and have a few in mind just was looking for new views of my selections hylas 44, csy 44, island packet 380,420 is a little expensive and to just mix it up a bit I like the Pruitt snowgoose. Any new info or opinions are great
Snyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 16:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Help to narrow selection of boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
I am going to be retired next year and am selling everything and leaving. I have looked at a ton of sail boats and have a few in mind just was looking for new views of my selections hylas 44, csy 44, island packet 380,420 is a little expensive and to just mix it up a bit I like the Pruitt snowgoose. Any new info or opinions are great
Howdy! Welcome aboard CF! (I see you are new here.)

While I am not familiar with those boats myself, I am sure there will be members here now or in the past who have experience or opinions or both about them.

I suggest you start with a few Google Custom Searches of the forum using each of the boat names or models one at a time. That should yield previous threads from the archives that will be filled with facts and opinions and anecdotes. Just make sure you select the GOOGLE Custom Search function from the drop down Search Menu. It yields the best search results.

Secondly I think most here wil agree that every boat is a compromise. And so, it is helpful if you will write something about yourself, your sailing experience, and what you intend to do with the boat. For example, mention your plans, location where you want to sail, whether you will be alone or a couple or a family, and how far you want to go. Also your particular preferences can help. Some like comfort over speed, others like speed over comfort. Some don't mind varnishing wood trim, others hate it. Some like to entertain, others like to go off the grid. Some like marinas, and others like on the hook. The more you tell, the more likely you will get responses from members who address those points.

I also encourage being open upfront about your budget or what you consider the Maximum Asking Price you would consider. IF you do that, others may point you to other boats that may be within your budget and also fit your plans or preferences.

Good luck on your boat hunt!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 17:07   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard!
It helps to know what kind of plans you have for the boat and what experience/preferences you have too. Sounds like you have a healthy budget for purchasing, and do you have a good cash flow for maintenance?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:08   #4

Thank for the reply, we ar a couple and are plan is buy a boat the first winter head south from delaware bay on a shake down trip see what we need and don't need if thing go good maybe step across to Bahamas if everything goes well when we return next spring we leave for good to explore the world mostly where it is warm. There is a ton more boring details then that. As far as experience I have very little a few classes a J world sailing school and dinghy sailing. We have about 200 thousand to spend but the less I spend the simpler it is to leave, I like a solid platform and work off that as we go then spend a year or 2 fixing structural problems like old teak decking or cleaning off a ton of silicone caulk and rotted out fuel tanks buried in the fiberglass. Thanks for your comment's real world advise is more valuable then money thank you
Old 07-04-2017, 12:20   #5

The boats you list are good boats and should be doable in your budget. If Bahamas is likely the furthest you go, think about minimal draft on the boat you select. I love the Bahamas as much as most anywhere else. A couple thoughts:
- my experience says about 8 years and things go bad. Pumps, water heaters, tanks, refrigeration etc etc. So by my thinking an 8 year old boat may be no better than a 16 year old boat. It's not a given for sure though.

You already mentioned tanks and that's good thinking. There are big things that are nice to avoid for the trouble as well as money:
-Tanks, engines, sails, bolt on keels, complete electronics, autopilots, teak decks, wet core decks, cored hulls and Blistered bottoms. etc
The more of these you can eliminate the better.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 17:32   #6

Don CL I only will have my pension money till social security kicks in in about 12 years we will be living like Gipsy's sorry I suck at typing thanks for the reply
Old 07-04-2017, 17:59   #7

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

When I had the sailboat bug I asked a sailor that had been sailing for 17 years. 7 years on a mono, and 7 years on a cat. Both 42'. This couple sailed and moved often. Had many many interesting stories of catching fish and lobster for dinner. In hurrican season they moved below 12 degree north latitude. They did not venture into the Pacific but stayed in the Caribbean. I peppered him with questions about lots of boats.

His advice - to simplfy the process just pick the IP.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 18:23   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Don CL I only will have my pension money till social security kicks in in about 12 years we will be living like Gipsy's sorry I suck at typing thanks for the reply
Well, if it we were me, I'd leave as much of that savings UNtouched as possible. Also since it is just two of you, are you sure you need a 45 footer? I have seen some beautiful 35 to 40 footers that would be great for a couple, easier on the wallet and easier to handle and maintain. And if you are patient, beautiful, strong and sea-worthy boats, in great shape, can be had for less than $50K, which I think would be my upper limit in your case so that you can get a good boat but leave a big chunk in the bank. BTW how will your health coverage be going out into the future? Something us older folks need to consider sometimes.
I hope that is not discouraging...maybe I am a bit conservative on that.. it's just that I have just seen how boats can cost much more than folks initially expect or plan.

Just as an example I saw a Cape Dory 36 that LOOKED to be in very nice condition, well-equipped, with an asking price of $54K in Alameda, CA. That is a boat with a good reputation, and makes a nice all-around cruiser for a couple.
And I would say don't rule out a well-refitted and maintained boat from the 60s... there are some bargains in those classics IMO!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:55   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank for the reply, we ar a couple and are plan is buy a boat the first winter head south from delaware bay on a shake down trip see what we need and don't need if thing go good maybe step across to Bahamas if everything goes well when we return next spring we leave for good to explore the world mostly where it is warm. There is a ton more boring details then that. As far as experience I have very little a few classes a J world sailing school and dinghy sailing. We have about 200 thousand to spend but the less I spend the simpler it is to leave, I like a solid platform and work off that as we go then spend a year or 2 fixing structural problems like old teak decking or cleaning off a ton of silicone caulk and rotted out fuel tanks buried in the fiberglass. Thanks for your comment's real world advise is more valuable then money thank you
Hi Again.

Given a TOTAL budget of $200K I would be looking for boats that are listed with Asking Prices about half that amount.

As I see it, having plenty of money left for incidental and required initial purchase expenses is important, along with money for necessary repairs and desirable upgrades (e.g. New sails, fuel polishing system or day tank, electronics, etc.).

Given your $200K budget, and your goals, the following boat comes to my mind as a type or model I would want to live on and cruise the East Coast (ICW), Bahamas, Caribbean, Florida Keys, and possibly further.

Kadey Krogen 38

I happen to like the design very much. Because it is a Flush Deck boat design, it has a lot of room inside. Notice the following about this design:
1. It also has a nice double berth aft (good for liveaboard)
2. very nice teak traditional interior with comfortable looking salon,
3. nice galley,
4. comfortable looking cockpit (for spending a lot of time in when anchored)
5. SHALLOW draft (two centerboards). Designed for shallow waters. Minimum draft = 3' 2"
6. Separate shower in aft head. Nice to have.

If I were looking for a boat on which to spend years cruising up and down the ICW or Atlantic Coast or Bahamas and Keys, this boat would be high on my list.

I like the traditional styling (motif) with the decorative trailboards on the bow, the clipper bow, the bow sprit, and the stern. One should like the looks of their boat, and I like that traditional styling.

I also look carefully at interiors of boats, and I really like what they did with the design here too.

NOTE: the link below is to a thread I started that is about Flush Deck Boats. I suggest you look at the profile I wrote for this boat model "Kadey Krogen 38" and read the review by Robert Perry (naval architect) etc.

Also note, I have a live link in that thread to a 1992 KK 38 that is listed for sale on Yachtworld. When I wrote that profile the Asking Price was $114K. It looks very nice. The price has droppped $15K since last year and is now asking price $99K. That is the boat I would look at first, if I had your budget and goals.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2271657

As with any boat, what suits one person will not fit another. I am recommending this boat based on my taste, and my view of what would be a very nice boat to own and live aboard and cruise. YMMV.

IF you prefer a catamaran, I would look at a used Lagoon 380 for about $125K.

Good luck on your boat hunt. I hope you find this helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3453.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	145066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3454.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	145067  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3455.JPG