Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 21:45   #1

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Help needed - Papeete

Hi Guys,

Del from Chiara Stella just contacted me via SatPhone to say that his stern tube is cracked and leaking and he needs a haulout to have it repaired due to poor installation when the new shaft seal was fitted. I sailed with him from Newcastle (Aus) to Lyttleton (NZ) in December, he's currently SE of the Chatham Islands and heading for Papeete.

If anyone can recommend a repair facility, please get back to me asap. I already sent him details of Tahiti Nautic Centre in Taravao (found on Noonsite) but alternatives might be useful. Likely places would be Moorea, Raiatea or Bora Bora since they are likely to have yards to service the charter boats there.

Chiara Stella is a 40' steel cutter.

Rob

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:47   #2

Boat: Tayana 52
Re: Help needed - Papeete

We used a yard on the left at the entrance to Papeete harbour (next to sea wall). Can't remember name but did a good job making and installing rudder bearings for our Hunter 433
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 16:56   #3

Thanks, but without at least a name I can't look up contact details. Maybe it was Marina Taiana?

On Noonsite I found Tahiti Nautic Centre at Taravao and passed that one along to Chiara Stella. Also had a suggestion from Auzzee at the CruiserLog website that Rarotonga would be a closer - and English speaking - alternative, and possibly much cheaper than Papeete.

Any other suggestions welcome, he still has a long way to go before making land.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
Old 05-04-2014, 17:15   #4

Boat: Sailboat

Raiatea Carenage Services
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 17:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Thanks, but without at least a name I can't look up contact details. Maybe it was Marina Taiana?

On Noonsite I found Tahiti Nautic Centre at Taravao and passed that one along to Chiara Stella. Also had a suggestion from Auzzee at the CruiserLog website that Rarotonga would be a closer - and English speaking - alternative, and possibly much cheaper than Papeete.

Any other suggestions welcome, he still has a long way to go before making land.
heading back to new zealand is the closest option if it is serious
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 18:59   #6

Hi Atoll,

Good point. I should have mentioned that they have effected temporary repairs and the leak is well under control. Returning to NZ isn't likely at this stage, the weather goes north from where they are and the run to Tahiti (or the Cook Islands) should be relatively uneventful.

LeaseOnLife:

Thanks for that link. Earlier today I sent details of another service in Raiatea - Chantier Naval des Iles - that was recommended by a Noonsite user. Their rates were better over all, although the basic haulout cost was slightly higher than the one you've provided.

Highly Recommended Boatyard in Raiatea, French Polynesia — Noonsite

Thanks for the responses guys. Seems like Del and his merry crew should hopefully now have enough options to take care of this issue.

Old 05-04-2014, 19:12   #7

Boat: Tayana 52

Only have an iPhone and no 3G so google earth is very slow. Suggest you google earth Papeete Harbour to find the name, but Marina Tiana sounds familiar. Don't remember Raratonga having a travelift
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 20:39   #8

Rob,
This might give you some useful information. Go to the Pacific Puddle Jump website
Pacific Puddle Jump Official Web Site
Download the Stopover Handbook for French Polynesia. On page 19 is a list of service providers. Good Luck!
liward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 22:40   #9

Del has decided to have Chiara Stella repaired at Rarotonga, since he is dropping off & picking up crew there anyhow. Capt Keith of SV Southern Cross will be attending to the repairs. There is a 40 ton travel lift available on the island and obtaining parts from Auckland is relatively painless.