Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2021, 04:08   #1

Boat: J/42
help me troubleshoot my force 10 oven

Searched a variety of forums looking for leads on the issues with my Force 10 model 63351 oven so figured I'd share for some additional expertise. Some background.. ignition doesn't work, so we use lighter to light stove top, broiler and oven. Stovetop works great--all three burners. However, when trying to light the oven (following procedures of holding in control knob, etc) the burner is very slow to light. When we attempt this, we take out the s/s heat plate for easy access to the burner. But the big concern is when trying to light the oven burner, we have gotten a "flame up" or "mini explosion" where access propane combusts and flames out. So clearly some gas is collecting somewhere and igniting. Another test I did was to remove the burner cap and light the burner directly, and this resulting in a strong, vertical flame, but then also got the "flame up". So just wondering if someone has had these issues and how this could be related to the thermocouple or jets. Thanks!
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 04:31   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: help me troubleshoot my force 10 oven

Disclaimer: I've never worked on a Force 10.

These problems do not sound like jet or thermocouple failures. The ignitors are located where the first combustable fuel/air mixture will appear when the gas is turned on. That includes the plate and the cap being in place. If you can get your lighter into those spaces with the parts in place, when the first gas appears, it should work OK. Five seconds later you may have too rich a fuel/air mixture there and it will ignite somewhere else with a whopping woosh.

The obvious recommendation is that you replace the ignitors. That beats not having to shave for a week because you built up gas and then ignited it.
Old 30-07-2021, 05:39   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

We also had an 'ignite it manually' Force 10 stove. Did not have your issue with the oven/broiler however, so maybe a different model from yours. Just a guess, but could it be that there is supposed to be a pilot light in your oven, which is adding more gas to the mix when you go to light it? Lighting the pilot first, if there is one, might solve the problem.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 09:16   #4

Boat: J/42

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I did end up talking to a rep from Force 10 who was pretty helpful. I was advised to remove the jet from the bottom of the burner.. looks like a wide carb needle jet almost. It wasn't blocked, but I cleaned it anyway. Can't say it made that huge a difference. When I try and light the oven burner (with the ceramic cap on), it just takes so long to stay lit.. like minutes holding a lighter to it, and then burns extremely low (different than the top burners when they are on high). Whats curious is with the burner cap off, the flame lights up like the Olympic torch. So I can't seem to figure out how the flame is so stifled with the cap on. Oh well.. based on other broken parts on this stove/oven it's likely to go on my replacement list this off season.
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven