Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 22:10   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: HELP anchor rode splice OK if end unravelled

a. I hope it was obvious that I staged that picture for fun (blog post) and that I was not finished with the splice (only a few tucks in).

b. Of course a chain-to-rope splice is intended to go through a windlass. In fact, this is the splice specified by windlass manufacturers. That said, I prefer an irony splice, below, for windlass use because it is smoother (which is not what the OP was asking, in my understanding). However, it is more difficult to make well and isn't beneficial for anchors that are hand hauled.

c. Tapering is for strength. The weak spot in both bury and tuck-back splices is the starting point of the splice, because of the bends in the rope the splice tail causes. Bends weaken rope. By tapering these bends are reduced. The bend around the chain, oddly, is less important because there are 4-6 strands carrying the load at that point, not just 3. Taper is even more important when splicing high modulus ropes. Absolutely not a matter of cosmetics.

Tags
anchor, rode