Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2018, 22:12   #1

Boat: Islander I-37, MS, Tradewind 32
Help/ Advice on Loading I-37 MS for Long Trip

Can Anyone Help me in Computing the Correct Loading for an -- Islander 37 MS.

I don't have the I-37 MS Owners Manual and they do not exist and I've looked high and low.

The Info. from Sailboat.data.com is:

14,000 Weight
05,000 Ballast

9,000 Boat Weight < is it Loaded or Bare Boat... I don't Know ?.

I'm adding -- Generator, Water Maker, & (1) Extra 75 Gal. Fuel Tank,

Also, all the Gear, and Loaded 60 Gal. Water Tank & Standard Boat Fuel Tank, Dingy, Extra Sails, Tools, Ditching Bag, Electronics, All Provisions, Extra 15 Gal's of Bottled Water, 2 People, etc., etc.
n
I added everything Up (above) and came up with 3,325 lbs. as loaded weight of 2 people and all gear loaded on board.

However, I don't know where I am in regard to the 9,000 boat weight, Is this Max. loaded weight or Not ?!?

I'm very aware that a Overloaded Boat is the Wrong Answer, particularity in heavy weather.

Thank's You in Advance

Avery
HighFly_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 11:31   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Help/ Advice on Loading I-37 MS for Long Trip

According to sailcalc each 1,100lbs ought to drop you about 1 inch. The total boat weight dry is probably optimistically stated, ie it's most likely heavier. In your example you've probably sunk the waterline 3 inches or so. So you'll need to move the bottom paint up a ways.
Old 23-09-2018, 13:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFly_27 View Post
Can Anyone Help me in Computing the Correct Loading for an -- Islander 37 MS.

I don't have the I-37 MS Owners Manual and they do not exist and I've looked high and low.

The Info. from Sailboat.data.com is:

14,000 Weight
05,000 Ballast

9,000 Boat Weight < is it Loaded or Bare Boat... I don't Know ?.

I'm adding -- Generator, Water Maker, & (1) Extra 75 Gal. Fuel Tank,

Also, all the Gear, and Loaded 60 Gal. Water Tank & Standard Boat Fuel Tank, Dingy, Extra Sails, Tools, Ditching Bag, Electronics, All Provisions, Extra 15 Gal's of Bottled Water, 2 People, etc., etc.
n
I added everything Up (above) and came up with 3,325 lbs. as loaded weight of 2 people and all gear loaded on board.

However, I don't know where I am in regard to the 9,000 boat weight, Is this Max. loaded weight or Not ?!?

I'm very aware that a Overloaded Boat is the Wrong Answer, particularity in heavy weather.

Thank's You in Advance

Avery
There is no correct "magic number" for maximum weight. The more weight you put on, the poorer performance you get (kind of like people...) Look carefully at her lines as drawn by Bruce King. That is likely the best way to see where she should sit in the water.

Most important: keep the weight as low as possible, and evenly distributed, and out of the bow or stern. I am not sure where you add a 75 gallon fuel tank on an I37. That's a LOT of fuel for that little boat...

Most manufacturers these days compete for listing the lightest weight possible, so publish a "lightship" weight, sometimes even leaving off little things--like sails. A few publish "half tank" weights. Almost none publish weights "ready to cruise". I have no idea what the "14,000 lb" number is on the I37...

We can be sure that the 14,000lb weight is BEFORE you actually put anything of your own onboard.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 13:39   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

In real life, most long term cruising boats are seriously overloaded. Not ideal, but just what happens unless one is very careful and very dedicated to keeping weight out. Performance is certainly degraded, but in the end, the boats survive to reach their destinations.

Billkinny's advice re placement of added weight is good... pay attention to the distribution and its effects will be minimized.

Jim
Old 24-09-2018, 09:08   #5

Boat: Islander 37

my islander 37 when I load it for passage I have to balance weight. for north bound I have a 300' chain that if not countered with weight- gen, wind vane, fuel, water I get cavitation from prop and hobby horsing fair winds
patrick brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 14:55   #6

Boat: Islander I-37, MS, Tradewind 32

Pat,

Is your I-37 a MS or Not.

I was not aware that the loading (fore & aft) was that critical & your getting prop. cavitation with 300 ft. of chain & anchor at the bow, guessing 450 lbs. on the bow. I'm very aware of the correct loading of an aircraft & over weight & center of gravity limits. If your going to load... one way or the other.... you'd want aft. loading to be favored and not the bow ?!? My I-37 MS has never been loaded up for a long trip... so new territory for me.

Avery

Avery
HighFly_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 09:16   #7

Boat: Islander 37

my I-37 standard sloop, I think you are almost with weight of my ground tackle also winch, battery for winch Beth came to me with a forward locker, I installed winch and cut access. I have considered changing and using elec interduct 1 1\2 to move potion of chain more mid ship. would also add my holding tank is forward so its weight is there. I looked at a

I-37ms it might have been better for pnw and Ak. When I am in strong swell and prop gets exposed sound like a helicopter is above boat. Beth Is sure sound under sail and lift from massive front sail seems to balance when going to weather; I am well pleased when motor sailing. fair winds
patrick brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa