Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 14:53   #1

Boat: boden helena,cutter,36ft
help

hi all,first posting am rebuilding a36ft boden,at the finish run .iwas going to put a raymarine st 60 wind gauge on the mast ,past forums have not been good is anyone able to bring a 2013 view on them.can you use another gauge ,tm running into a raymarine e90w display thanks greg
GREGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 18:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: help

Hi Greg,
your questions are far to broad or any one answer.

are you asking raymarine or simrad, e90 or e7?

I would be happy with equipment you have listed but it depends on what you want from your equipment and how much you want to spend.
gunnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 13:48   #3

hi gunnado,
I am looking at putting a st 60 raymarine wind transducer on the mast,iwas reading some reports and the st 60 wasn't sounding like a highly reliable unit so iwas looking for a bit more feedback. iam running a raymarine e 90w multi display.is another unit more reliable witch would match the e90w thanks greg
Old 03-06-2013, 14:01   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not sure e90w takes data from the mast unit, I think it takes data from the display. Ray (I believe) only makes the st 60 sensor and the rotavecta. ST 60 sensor is said to be the better one.

The only other unit I think might work cross-system will be something NMEA based - there is a very good ultrasonic unit from AirMar. Look up its specs, they will tell you if you can interface.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 14:13   #5

thanks barnakiel,if the raymarine sensor and rotavecta [ST60] has a good rep then I will stick to that.this is my firstboat with electronics so I reckon my explanations aren't good tnanks to barnakiel and gunnado
Old 03-06-2013, 19:24   #6
Marine Service Provider

Raymarine ST60 Plus Wind System W Analog Vane Model A22012 P | eBay

this is the same unit i installed on my beneteau 393 and is very common without any bad reputation that i know of.

stick with the raymarine now you have started, just do not touch their AIS as this was not working 12 months ago. don't know if it has been fixed or if they pulled the product.

I do some boat electronics and have fitted out my yacht so don't hesitate to ask.

i would recommend when running your cables allow for AIS and GPS integration between your VHF and Plotter. I have bought a VHF (standard horizon) that AIS built in and it is very cool.

have fun
gunnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 14:46   #7

helps been great and reassuring [big thanks]
hi gunnado, iam drawing up the electronics list,have the e90w display in saloon,have i70 relay in cockpit.a depth ,aspeed to an itc /5 going for the 130 gps and as u suggested cables for ais.will now order the st 60 for the mast.allowances on the mast for radar[maybe at afutu
re time].have a navman vhf [stillin box 6yrs old] cheers to all