Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 09:10   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Hello & 'The Dove'

His first boat was a Lapworth 24 sister ship of the Lapworth Gladiator. He sailed that one from LA all the way around and to the Caribbean. (3/4 of the way around the globe)

http://www.solopublications.com/sailglad.htm

He then bought the Luders 33 in Florida I believe and sailed it back to where Little Dove was.

Then continued soon after.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 09:13   #17

Boat: 1983 Sabre 34

I believe The Dove is in St Thomas. I saw it as a teen, and it was pretty beat up. Local lore said it was The Dove, it had the right name and size. This was about 40 years ago.
LauraJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 09:33   #18

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
His first boat was a Lapworth 24 sister ship of the Lapworth Gladiator. He sailed that one from LA all the way around and to the Caribbean. (3/4 of the way around the globe)

A Lapworth 24 Gladiator Page

He then bought the Luders 33 in Florida I believe and sailed it back to where Little Dove was.

Then continued soon after.
This is correct the "big" Dove bought by NG, a Luders 33 is in Hawaii as mentioned above. I own a L33.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 10:15   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

The original dove sank in hurricane Hugo in 1989 and to correct myself the luders 33 was named the return of dove.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 10:28   #20

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

As one poster said the movie about the Dove was aweful. To you sir, I would say, you speak blasphemy. It was a low budget movie for a small audience that affected many people deeply. Mankind has always had that wanderlust gene. This movie spoke loudly to many of us. Now, please, go wash your mouth out. Smile

So, many sightings of the Dove and so many different boats. It reminds of the "Big Foot" phenomenon...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 10:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
As one poster said the movie about the Dove was aweful. To you sir, I would say, you speak blasphemy. It was a low budget movie for a small audience that affected many people deeply. Mankind has always had that wanderlust gene. This movie spoke loudly to many of us. Now, please, go wash your mouth out. Smile

So, many sightings of the Dove and so many different boats. It reminds of the "Big Foot" phenomenon...
He was correct, the movie was terrible. Maybe you are getting the book (which was great) confused with the movie.

The only thing good about the movie was Debra Raffin and the Ranger 23!

Old 18-08-2015, 11:14   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
At the risk of starting a thread :-)
One movie you really should watch is "Around Cape Horn" by Captain Irving Johnson
It was filmed in Regular 8 by him some time in the 30's, a great movie
Agree, fantastic and also amazingly - makes you realise how soft we have all become.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 11:18   #23

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
At the risk of starting a thread :-)
One movie you really should watch is "Around Cape Horn" by Captain Irving Johnson
It was filmed in Regular 8 by him some time in the 30's, a great movie
The Dove was one of my all time favorite reads and has inspired me as well. It is a must read for all.

I have also seen the film "Around Cape Horn" it was found after many years lost and put on disk. It is a must see also! what a bunch of tough guys as well as the Captains Wife.

look forward to the pics of DOVE
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 11:22   #24

You neigh sayers have hearts of stone when you speak of this movie so poorly. I read the book and saw the movie. It is rare that a movie can match in two hours what a book takes weeks to read. To that point I can agree to, but the movie was low budget and made its point about this event in his life. I would say this movie launched a thousand ships.
Old 18-08-2015, 13:15   #25

I saw the movie just a few months after returning from 2 years in the Pacific in a boat that was only 2 foot longer than the Dove (with 2 people onboard). The early scene of him rolling down the trades, working out nav problems by kerosene lamp sent chills down my spine, it was so real a feeling. Was it a great film? Hell no, but many scenes were very true to actual small boat cruising. They certainly didnt let Robin be the technical director, if you look at the scene of him throwing a big pile of rope, chain and anchor over the bow, but it really should be on every young (or old) wannabes list of films to watch. CATCH THE FEVER, and be an adventurer. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 13:38   #26

Boat: Cheoy Lee PH43

As a teenager in Fiji we were cruising through when that part of the film was being made and the production company gave a free dinner at the Royal Suva Yacht Club in order to get some crowd scenes. I remember dancing in the background while they were filming. I guess they didn't have such sophisticated editing/dubbing equipment as they would cut the music when recording dialogue (but we had to carry on dancing to no music). Never saw those scenes in the movie though. Happy memories!
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 14:30   #27

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Well, I havnt read the book, but I thought the movie was great. I wouldn't say it inspired me at all, but I did like it and thought it was very entertaining to watch.

All is Lost, on the other hand I didn't think much of.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 15:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Well, I havnt read the book, but I thought the movie was great. I wouldn't say it inspired me at all, but I did like it and thought it was very entertaining to watch.

All is Lost, on the other hand I didn't think much of.
But Steven Callahan's Book Adrift was so evident in the movie All is Lost and that book is very good.

It also gives the reader some very real and useable information.

Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea by Steven Callahan — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Redford2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	107543  
Old 18-08-2015, 15:22   #29

It all depends on what your reference was. In comparison to local big budget films, yes, maybe the movie was sketchy, but at the time, it inspired me to start sailing. And it inspired many of my friends to start sailing. And ultimately, thats all that counts.

Nearly 40 years later, Ive worked on many, many yachts. Ive sailed in the shadow of table Mountain on Majan, a multi-hill Trimaran owned by Oman, Ive raced on inport races onboard Volvo Ocean race teams Camper Emirates Team NZ, and Team SCA. Ive sailed aboard the Open 70 Mazarati with Giovani Soldini, interviewed Isabelle Autissier and Abby Sunderland after they were 'de-masted' in the middle of the Southern Ocean storms, and sailed on sea-trials with Sebastien Destremau aboard 'Face Ocean', the Open 60 raced by Josh Hall, ahead of the Vendee Globe.

But my most emotional experience was watching the story of a 16 year old attempting to sail around the world on a 24 ft sloop, the Dove. So the movie was relevant. very relevant. Because thats where the passion began.
Jeff Ayliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 20:43   #30

See, ye naysayers, Jeff is what I'm talking about..."use guys" just don't know how to tune in to the right vibes...smile