Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2020, 07:27   #61
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Heeling!

Learn to reef, and there is something to the saying that, "gentleman don't sail to weather."

And lolling at buying a brand new sailboat without even understanding how sailboats work. Good on ya!

They say that good decision-making is a product of experience, while experience is a product of bad decision-making...
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 08:03   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I honestly think the trick is to become one with the water....some people look at the horizon, which moves little, and this sometimes does the trick....but " heeling" for some people is a prelude to " falling over"...which would mean they would end up in the sea, and being fearful of water or being eaten by a shark, etc. prompts feelings of being nauseous.
it's a tough cookie to overcome for some....

I like to dive in the ocean, but not swim in the ocean. I am not fearful of sharks when I'm under the water, but fearful of sharks when floating on the water...it's a mindset.....y'know..."Jaws"......
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 12:21   #63

Heeling over induces fatigue

A Skilled designer know this and works hard to reduce fatigue with design

Simple details like the nav station seat , helmsman steering platform , heads that face fore and aft, the correct number of low side bunks, ......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C2812E3-DB73-43BD-8587-B2BBFD5EFA1A.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	219884  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 13:46   #64

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Learn to reef, and there is something to the saying that, "gentleman don't sail to weather."

And lolling at buying a brand new sailboat without even understanding how sailboats work. Good on ya!

They say that good decision-making is a product of experience, while experience is a product of bad decision-making...
Excuse me?
Old 24-07-2020, 14:13   #65

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Black Heron's joking with you, mglonnro.

There's an old joke about experience, that sort of goes this way.

There was a man, who had experience, but little money, and he met another man, who had some money and little experience. Pretty soon, the man with experience had more money, and the guy who used to have some money had some experience.

It has to do with irony, a form of humor that does not transfer terribly to text, because one misses all the visual clues for a joke.

Ann
Old 24-07-2020, 14:17   #66

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Now, about seasickness, some people have more problem with jerky motion (which is the one I have trouble with), and others, with rolling or wallowing. Breathing diesel fumes exacerbates it.

People's bodies do learn to cope with the motion, and one can encourage it (by self talk) to accommodate quicker. This will work for most people. It's just that some people are "wired up" to never lose seasickness, but most are not.

Ann
Old 24-07-2020, 14:26   #67

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Here's a pic of "slight heeling" because it says more than a thousand words
That's a picture of someone with way too much mainsheet on, compared with the trim of his jib. Let out that main and the heeling would stop. Also, the sea state makes it look like the boat would go just as fast with the first reef in that main, if you want to make it even less.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 17:24   #68

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
That's a picture of someone with way too much mainsheet on, compared with the trim of his jib. Let out that main and the heeling would stop. Also, the sea state makes it look like the boat would go just as fast with the first reef in that main, if you want to make it even less.

It doesn’t even look like much heeling btw. And yes reef or ease the main
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 17:51   #69

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:
If they’d excessive heel, one might inquire into power boats

I do agree the main could be let out some.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 19:29   #70

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
If they’d excessive heel, one might inquire into power boats

I do agree the main could be let out some.
Well yes, but the point I was making was that monohulls sailed conservatively don't heel at all unless sailed close to the wind, contrary to what some multihull sailors will tell you.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 23:13   #71

Quote:
Well yes, but the point I was making was that monohulls sailed conservatively don't heel at all unless sailed close to the wind, contrary to what some multihull sailors will tell you.
It wasn't a jib in the picture, it was a code zero, btw!

But regarding the heeling, I don't really understand how you add up the physics to support your statement of no heeling unless close to the wind? I mean, whenever the apparent wind causes the sail to generate lift, the resultant force of the wind quite usually won't "lift" the boat straight forward but more or less angled sideways. So one vector pushes the boat over, the keel resists this => heeling.

I don't know what the heeling in the picture was, but it seems like something like 3-5 degrees-- so very little (to me), but noticeable. I feels weird to think that I should be able to sail around in a monohull with even less heeling than that Looking at other sailboats, they don't seem to do that either
Old 24-07-2020, 23:14   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Black Heron's joking with you, mglonnro.

There's an old joke about experience, that sort of goes this way.

There was a man, who had experience, but little money, and he met another man, who had some money and little experience. Pretty soon, the man with experience had more money, and the guy who used to have some money had some experience.

It has to do with irony, a form of humor that does not transfer terribly to text, because one misses all the visual clues for a joke.

Ann
Phew! I'm sorry, Black Heron, for not getting the joke.
Old 24-07-2020, 23:24   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
It doesn’t even look like much heeling btw. And yes reef or ease the main
Almost no heeling, yes. And I don't think it's a sensible or realistic idea to sail around (in a monohull like our's) and always trim for less heeling than in the picture.

In Turku, the prevailing winds are SE and downwind of us there is just land
Old 24-07-2020, 23:26   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Now, about seasickness, some people have more problem with jerky motion (which is the one I have trouble with), and others, with rolling or wallowing. Breathing diesel fumes exacerbates it.

People's bodies do learn to cope with the motion, and one can encourage it (by self talk) to accommodate quicker. This will work for most people. It's just that some people are "wired up" to never lose seasickness, but most are not.

Ann
Thank yous to you. We're heading out tomorrow again, with fair winds and smiles on your faces, I hope.

Old 24-07-2020, 23:58   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Thank yous to you. We're heading out tomorrow again, with fair winds and smiles on your faces, I hope.

well, smiles on our faces, I meant. Not only trying to create entertainment for CF readers.