Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 01:02   #31
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Re: Heaters and Carbon Monoxide ...

To address your question about the methyl hydrate I would suggest that the continual stink in addition to the CO risk is not worth it. We mostly cruise in warmer areas but we have an Origo heater for emergencies and even with all the ports open it gives me a headache. We did however use it for an emergency cooker when we lost our propane line. Also, once during an ice storm in Maryland, I stayed on the boat and had only the Origo for heat. No way did it heat the entire boat and the salon was just warm enough to prevent hypothermia and no where near comfortable.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:01   #32

Boat: Irwin Citation 35
Send a message via Skype™ to jbpollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I use a "little buddy" in my RV. Cost $100 and then another $25 for an adapter for a 5 gal tank.

And then I also bought a C02 detecter
I just bought a Little Buddy for my 35' Irwin. Seems to fire up and warm the cabin just fine. I know I'm begging the question of "availability" here, but that aside, of the propane heaters available when I went to get one, the Little Buddy (and perhaps the Big Buddy, both from Mr. Heater) was the only one I saw that read "For indoor use."

Reading further in the literature, it does say to turn the unit off whilst sleeping. Fair enough. Vent the space (4" of area venting to the outside), heat the space, turn it off, close the vent, get into a toasty sack, and then freeze for a bit after waking up to go light the heater.

Now I'm looking for a good CO detector and just found the thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ers-77300.html
jbpollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:14   #33

Boat: Truant Turtle 37

I have a 37' sailboat with a Dickinson Antarctic. I have started to use it here and there to get used to it but have not gone out overnight with it. I get lots of opinions regarding use versus no use overnight. I feel like they were designed to burn continuously but am sheepish to do so with the horror stories of people dying in their sleep. I was instructed how to properly start it and run it efficiently without smoking. So far I love it but would like to feel safer about using it overnight. I plan on procuring multiple high quality CO2 detectors for redundancy. I would appreciate further suggestions.
SanJuanTruant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:25   #34

Dickinson's web site has a very detailed user guide with pictures showing proper and improper flame location and color.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:32   #35

Boat: Truant Turtle 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
Dickinson's web site has a very detailed user guide with pictures showing proper and improper flame location and color.

Thank you, I feel pretty confident with my ability to properly use the heater. Some people just say they are death traps no matter what. I would love to not believe this but would like to hear from like minded people who know how to properly use all the time....save using it while underway.
SanJuanTruant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:53   #36

Well some think boats are death traps. But dickinson says that mounting the stove the proper direction in regards to the carburator needing to stay at the same level as the burn can so the heel angle will not interfere with operation. So i believe it is made to use underway.

wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:55   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanTruant View Post
Thank you, I feel pretty confident with my ability to properly use the heater. Some people just say they are death traps no matter what. I would love to not believe this but would like to hear from like minded people who know how to properly use all the time....save using it while underway.
Why guess about whether you're being poisoned or not? Get CO and CO2 alarms.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 11:29   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Used a propane catalytic heater in the boat in Alameda, CA during the winter without any problems. Turned it off before I went to bed and did not burn it all day long. Mainly used it in the evening when I was sitting around reading or playing on the computer and in the morning to warm the boat up a bit before I got out of bed. Also it burned a bit of fuel. It was designed to use the short disposable propane bottles and would burn through one of those in about 8 hours of constant use.

Was never that happy with the possibility of CO poisoning so bought a Dickenson Newport Diesel heater. Never got it fully installed before leaving CA so can't report on its heating ability or ease of use. Was not and am not concerned about CO with that outside vented heater. Hopefully when and if I make the sail to Alaska it will work without the drama of back drafting. In any case, have installed a CO detector just to be safe.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 14:07   #39

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Most people who've had CO poisoning on a boat are not in a position to comment.
Very true.

I wouldn't use anything that wasn't made for and approved for a boat and vented to the outside. And had its own source of combustion air.