Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 19:05   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
That's a good question, maybe somebody in that business could tell us...... but the Cardiologist I spoke with at HOLLYWOOD REGIONAL WEST told me that the company they used, based at Fort Lauderdale Airport, has charged as much as $35,000....... it depended who was required to go along on the flight for that specific emergency such as Doctors, Nurses, Technicians, because they DO have medical equipment on-board.
We've all seen the outlandish prices charged in Emergency Rooms/Operating Rooms for surgery, etc., so it wouldn't surprise me if it is $35,000.

Going on a cruise and eating properly and exercising is a good idea, but I would think in most cases that alone would not prevent a heart attack, that condition builds up over a lifetime (and genetics).
depends on the crew/equipment needed. Most times down island you are going in a Lear or Citation jet. You could get a turbo prop in the Bahamas. The medical crew will most of the time be a minimum of an RN and an EMTP. MD's are only used as needed.
35k for USVI to TRIN. is probably a good guess. But fuel has almost doubled since I had any good contact with the industry.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 19:21   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
And insurance costs?

So what would the insurance cost?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 21:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
Going on a cruise and eating properly and exercising is a good idea, but I would think in most cases that alone would not prevent a heart attack, that condition builds up over a lifetime (and genetics).
I suppose I was suggesting for people to adopt those ideas now; regardless of whether or not they are going sailing any time soon. Eating healthy, not smoking, limiting your alcohol, getting enough sleep, and regular excercise.

Beyond the fact that it will amazingly reduce your chances of needing to get a $35K airline ticket, the amount of other medical problems it helps with is also reduced.

I have asthma and lower back problems. As long as I stay in shape, they're completely at bay. Slide for even a few weeks (like when I broke my foot), and I fall back into the rut again.

But seriously, if we're going to have a thread on heart attacks, it would be pretty "solve it with a pill" attitude to just giving passing glances to the things that contribute most to your likelyhood of having a heart attack (eating, excercise, smoking, drinking, and sleeping habits).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:44   #19

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
The Jamaican hospital really DID LITTLE OR NOTHING for him, even if they wanted to his wife said they really didn't have any "qualified" doctors ......

Jamaica is a big island with big cities and hospitals to match . . . such ignorance and arrogance . . . and to think just a short distance away is a medical system that gets higher grades than the U.S. system . . . in CUBA.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:18   #20

Boat: 1975 Alberg 37 Yawl
We cruised the Abacos last year, and before we left the chesapeake, we took out "Divers Alert Network" (DAN) emergency travel insurance at the suggestion of friends who are long time Bahamas cruisers (their 6th cruise). It's inexpensive ($44.00 / year). Fortunately neither us or our friends have had to use it. You might want to reseach this insurance at DAN Divers Alert Network - Scuba Diving and Dive Safety Association . You don't need to be a diver to buy the insurance. Has anyone had to use this insurance, or had any dealings with DAN?

Good luck!
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:05   #21

Boat: Endeavour E40
This organization was highly recommended to me, certainly a "bargain" considering what the cost is vs what they can do for you.......and they responded (according to their website) to 4,721 EMERGENCY CALLS in 2007!

I guess the point is like Rebel Heart sez, it's best to live a healthy lifestyle very early in your life, but it's also a good thing to stay informed and be prepared for ANY emergency....... the news is full of "mishaps" on the water.

AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:57   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
. . and to think just a short distance away is a medical system that gets higher grades than the U.S. system . . . in CUBA.
Off thread a little maybe, maybe not.

I read some about that claim a while back. It is still going around like some emails.

BS.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:03   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I

it would be pretty "solve it with a pill" attitude
Surprisingly enough the "one aspirin a day" thing reduces the chances of a "heart attack" by a significant amount. 30 - 50% can't remember.

Also, immediate blood thinning (aspirin) reduces death rates quite a bit. Don't have those % sorry.

If you are old and cruise carry heparin if you can. Otherwise aspirin is cool.

For me..........I want insurance too...........but the cost will make the difference.

Cruise without or don't cruise.......................HMMMMMM!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:45   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tom, double that fee, you have to be a DAN member to buy their members-only insurance. I've heard only good about it, with the possible exception that it covers the ill party only--not a companion.

AFAIK a medevac "cost" is based on:
Where is the nearest suitable aircraft? And crew?
i.e. do you need to go transpacific? Or just puddle jumping?
And where do you need to go? With what care in flight?

All a question of where/what/how, and I've got to think transPacific, transAtlantic, BuenosAres to Boston, Singapore to DC...all are going to be charged by the hour, with some different aircraft rates as well as the crew choices. The word "KaChing!" comes to mind.

Makes a USCG SAR evac a real bargain, doesn't it?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote