Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2010, 11:58   #1

Healthy Coral Reafs . . . Bermuda vs Bahamas

It sadden me to hear about the reafs health condition...I havent seen it in 20years and this was in dominican republic...if I go south its mainly to see its fauna...I only dive with a mask and fines under 30ft...witch is best bermuda or bahamas?
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 12:30   #2

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
i havent been to the bahamas in a few years but i cant imagine youd be disappointed there, sure its not like it was 100 years ago, but very few places are anymore, cant opine on bermuda...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 12:48   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
jobi,
I don't know about the Bahamas, but here in Bermuda the reports from BIOS this summer was that our reefs were in pretty good shape, with little of the coral bleaching remaining from a few years ago.
The Bermuda platform, with an average depth of about 20ft, is 200 sq mls, with only 19 above the surface.
I live right on the water, with 300ft of waterfront that goes from drying out in our 4ft tide range, to a fall off of about 20ft depth. Within that 300ft is everything from mangroves to rocky shore.
We have lots of turtle grass, which is quite delicate in its ability to survive anchors and such, thru to a brown lettuce-looking bottom cover.
The number of sea urchins, both short and long spine, seems to go thru a 5 yr cycle, same thing with Spanish scallops.
At my dock, lots of Sergeant-majors, doctor fish, red squirrels, small spiny lobsters and grey snappers.
Lots of brain coral,big sea fans and all sorts of soft corals in great numbers off the shore in slightly deeper waters
Don't scuba dive any more (front brake lever in my right ear in a motocross accident 50yrs ago put stop to that) but do snorkel a lot-take only pictures,leave only bubbles.
I think,environmentally, we are pretty up to date in our national outlook. We could do better, we don't use holding tanks, our boat concentration is relatively light, we dont have any industrial pollution, and of course, we owe a lot to the Gulf Stream.
Come visit some time, we'll take Bluestocking and some cold ones, and go out in the reefs.
Old 17-11-2010, 21:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
jobi,
I don't know about the Bahamas, but here in Bermuda the reports from BIOS this summer was that our reefs were in pretty good shape, with little of the coral bleaching remaining from a few years ago.
The Bermuda platform, with an average depth of about 20ft, is 200 sq mls, with only 19 above the surface.
I live right on the water, with 300ft of waterfront that goes from drying out in our 4ft tide range, to a fall off of about 20ft depth. Within that 300ft is everything from mangroves to rocky shore.
We have lots of turtle grass, which is quite delicate in its ability to survive anchors and such, thru to a brown lettuce-looking bottom cover.
The number of sea urchins, both short and long spine, seems to go thru a 5 yr cycle, same thing with Spanish scallops.
At my dock, lots of Sergeant-majors, doctor fish, red squirrels, small spiny lobsters and grey snappers.
Lots of brain coral,big sea fans and all sorts of soft corals in great numbers off the shore in slightly deeper waters
Don't scuba dive any more (front brake lever in my right ear in a motocross accident 50yrs ago put stop to that) but do snorkel a lot-take only pictures,leave only bubbles.
I think,environmentally, we are pretty up to date in our national outlook. We could do better, we don't use holding tanks, our boat concentration is relatively light, we dont have any industrial pollution, and of course, we owe a lot to the Gulf Stream.
Come visit some time, we'll take Bluestocking and some cold ones, and go out in the reefs.
This kind of offer I cant refuse...however it will only be next year.
Shur glad to hear about the good condition of your fauna...tell me what do I need to snorkel your waters in winter...a wet suit is enough?

funny how nature find ways to prevail over desaster...this new specie iv discovered in 2006 in south vietnam...its always refreshing to withness such life events.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57382Photo_830_jpe-med.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	21203  
Old 17-11-2010, 21:53   #5

Boat: Allures 44
I'm afraid if you haven't snorkeled or dived in 20 years, you're likely to be disappointed in the Bahamas, as with many other places, too. In my family's experience, the decline in coral reefs since the 1970s / 1980s is profound.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 22:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
I'm afraid if you haven't snorkeled or dived in 20 years, you're likely to be disappointed in the Bahamas, as with many other places, too. In my family's experience, the decline in coral reefs since the 1970s / 1980s is profound.

That would be so sad...I trouly hope your wrong...however somthing inside of me knows its a diferent sea that awaites me.
Old 17-11-2010, 22:26   #7

Boat: Allures 44
I hope you think I'm wrong, too. Enjoy yourself, no matter what!
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Bermuda, coral