Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2006, 10:08   #16

Boat: Pearson 365- Trident
Maine Cub, Just a few thoughts...I've been living aboard for 7 months now and two purchases have helped me maintain my eating lifestyle. First I replaced the old Princess stove on the boat with a Force 10 3 burner, oven/broiler. It works like a champ and I can prepare the same high quality meals I did ashore. The second and most favorite thing I bought was the almighty pressure cooker. What an amazing invention. It cooks in a 1/3 of the time and still preserves the natural flavors and nutrients of the food. You can use it to cook full meals as well as steam vegitables and other foods. It is sealed when cooking so even in rough weather you won't lose your meal. I agree with Sean's post earlier in that you can make things from scratch and save a ton of $$. Soups, bread and the like can be made very easily and as Sean said the ingredients last forever. Oh yea, I almost forgot the grill on the stern rail. Its another piece of galley gear I wouldn't do without.
SailWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 18:14   #17

Cub,

I find most of my challenges to eating healthily revolve around my pitiful cooking skills. All the wonderful raw ingredients mentioned in this thread won't do one much good unless he knows how to prepare them. I'm not being contrary; just reflecting on my own life here.

Might that be the key?

If you are provisioned with healthy, whole foods and ingredients, and are away from reprovisioning for any period of time, you will be forced to use whatever you've brought aboard or can harvest from the sea, in which case Necessity will become the mother of Invention.

A good, simple, health-oriented cookbook in the galley may be some of your best reading during your passage: with a practical laboratory to practice in.
______
Ram,
Quote:
Wheatgrass is a blood purifier, cleanser, and detoxifier. It contains chlorophyll which helps carry oxygen to every cell in your body. Oxygen in the body's cells helps fight off disease, harmful bacteria, and cancer.
Can you explain the physiological mechanism by which chlorophyll gets into my blood and helps my hemoglobin carry oxygen through my body?

Can you substantiate the claim that (presumably more) oxygen in my cells fights any particular disease, especially cancer? I'm talking about actual scientific study, not folklore. I'm skeptical, but I'd be fascinated to know more.
Old 22-02-2006, 18:57   #18
cruiser

Quote:
CaptainJeff once whispered in the wind:

Can you explain the physiological mechanism by which chlorophyll gets into my blood and helps my hemoglobin carry oxygen through my body?

Can you substantiate the claim that (presumably more) oxygen in my cells fights any particular disease, especially cancer? I'm talking about actual scientific study, not folklore. I'm skeptical, but I'd be fascinated to know more.
Yes, I agree CaptainJeff. I speak about bringing "land cooking" aboard. It is often much better to catch something and grill it up!

Also, I have to agree with you regarding chlorophyll. While sprouting things is extremely healthy in many other ways, chlorophyll can't make it in past your stomach acid - scientifically speaking.

It is in fact iron, rather than chlorophyll that aids in the transfer of oxygen within the blood stream, but I have a suspicion you already know that.

With that said... eat venison! Huge amounts of iron. 80% RDA (USA Measurement) in one serving!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 22:38   #19
Kai Nui

Wheat grass grows great on board. Not my favorite food, but it is easy to keep replenished. Our cat loves it.
Sailwiz, have you had any problems with the peizo lighter on your stove?
Old 22-02-2006, 22:42   #20

Use a blow torch?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 08:30   #21

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Hi All
It would be great to have some of your recipes. Maybe over on the Galley Forum? I'm especially interested in some good bread recipes to make onboard. I still haven't found a good, healty (whole grain) bread recipe that tastes good. Any recipes that are compatible with living aboard would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Iris
sailorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 14:11   #22
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I Really cannot give any scientific explanation of the why & how it works , but I can tell you it works and has made a huge difference in my life & some other folks I have met. You could find more info on the website I posted in my last reply

I also can tell you I was very skeptical about it all until when a friend of mine came down with terminal liver cancer and the Dr. gave him 1 month to live. He thought it was worth a try so he went to Hippockrtices
and asked me to come along because he needed some support . He was so weak he could not drive & could hardly walk and was in severe pain even with the morphine patch he was wearing full time. . I myself have late stages of Hep- c and my liver is not in such good shape , keeping me in pain 24/7 so I decided I would go.

within 2-3 weeks I was feeling like a new man, with all the pain gone & feeling like I was 10 years younger. My friend is doing much better and i have hopes he will make it. Hes driving around and living each moment, with out pain.

Wile I was in the "program" I met dozens of people who had miracle story's , many were supposed to be dead years ago according to the Dr.s . So Im not trying to sell anyone on anything I just know it works, I personally do not like the way it tastes but I drink it every day and feel grateful that I came across this natural cure. Its a radical change of diet and old bad eating habits. I eat sprouts with each meal, and am eating about 50%-75% live foods daily
I understand The Mayo clinic I believe is now doing a study on wheat grass so it has the attentions of the MD's now .
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 16:27   #23

I appreciate your honest, understated answer, even though it was completely anecdotal and didn't establish a solid argument. I'll do a bit of research on my own.
Old 23-02-2006, 17:42   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I am not disputing any facts that a person may have become more healthy after eating something. But the reasons behind it are very sceptical.
A plant equals no more than mostly water and the carbon shell that is it's cell structure. The minerals a plant gains are what is taken up from the ground. The vitimins a plant has is what is produced in complex chemical reactions within it's cell structure to survive and grow. The chemical reactions occur with oxygen, Carbon, Nitrogen and many other components taken from the air and the soil.
It's complex and I am not going to claim that I understand it all, I don't.
A "sprout" is no more than a seed that has undergone cell multiplication. It has no more "goodness" in it than the seed had in the beginning. The "seed" is the supply of carbon for the sprout to gain size and produce the reguired equipment for uptaking water, minerals, "breathing" which is taking carbon and nitrogen from the air and producing more cells.
I am not saying sprouts are not good for you. I am not saying you shouldn't eat them. What I am saying is that what they offer the body is very little and certainly less than eating any more mature plant that has grown in the ground for a few days.

To take that a step further, plants, fruits and vegies that are grown via hydroponics should be viewed with some sceptisism for there ability to privide ALL essential elements.
Here in NZ we have three criticle mineral deficiencies in our soil. Iodine, Cobalt, and Silenium. There maybe others, but these ones are essential for Humans and animals to survive. So any plant that grows in NZ does not have Iodine nor Silenium. They do have Cobalt, but that is because back in the very early stages, NZ yes the entire country, was top dressed with the trace element of Cobalt. Otherwise, sheep would simply die of starvation while the surounding paddocks were full of grass. The lack of cobalt stopped the sheep from getting any goodness out of it's food.
To aid us getting Iodine, we have Iodine in our NZ table salt. This maybe in other countries as well. For Silenium, the only way we can get it is to eat Fish.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 17:48   #25

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Silenium

We have areas where there is too much silenium. It can be a problem for horses that are fed alfalfa hay, as the alfalfa has deep roots and sucks up the silenium. We usually get a heavy grass mix for hay.
I have a lady client that sells gogi, the latest fix all for what ails you.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote