Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 11:34   #16

Boat: Southerly 115- Amazing Grace
We had custom stainless steel bars made for 2 of our hatches, with an easy inside release. It was no more difficult to open them than the regular opening of the hatch.
www.kaykoudele.blogspot.com
Kay Koudele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 13:37   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

It might have been a joke. Or it might have been the serious answer to "How do I clear this obstruction and gain immediate egress?"

Now standard equipment on the 2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Gullwing. And a couple thousand military aircraft before them.

Explosives are just tools.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 15:22   #18

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
But will you have to check the bolts at customs?

A tight screen which can't be reached through can be secured from inside with the use of a simple deadbolt to the hatch that is easily openned. Yes, someone in the know could come equipt with a coat hanger or some other device and with enough fiddling possibly get the thing undone. By then you would have awakenned and been active enough with the long pointy thing to give time to snap the lock on....? Oh yeah, a good premade grating is aluminum stair tread (no where near as pretty as Marks though). Not sure if it's available in ss but I would bet it is somewhere. For the locked overhead hatches a combination lock (multiple indicator type) with only the last wheel off one number in a given direction makes it rather easy and quick to open in case of fire also. And there's always the alternative...leave everything open and a bull mastiff on deck....
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 16:09   #19
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
One concern that I have with some of the security bar systems that I've seen is, what happens in case of a fire during the night? Will you be able to exit the cabin quickly enough?

If you put bars on all of the hatches that are large enough for a person to climb through, I really think you need to have some way to quickly and easily open them from the inside in case of an emergency.
What are you more worried about? The break-in or the fire? The fire is another example or how paraniod we are in boating.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 16:51   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I'll be using this

Crimsafe Photo Gallery

Fly screen and security in one
And no big holes in the mesh where hands can get in and try and undo fasteners
Old 18-10-2013, 11:03   #21

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Re: Hatch Security

I was hoping for more ideas here regarding deck hatches. Is this as far as we've come with such a grand group? Has no-one made something out of simple ss tubing and related off the shelf fittings? What about a swing-up bar and lock? Come on - surely more have worked on this problem!?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 12:36   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
I was hoping for more ideas here regarding deck hatches. Is this as far as we've come with such a grand group? Has no-one made something out of simple ss tubing and related off the shelf fittings? What about a swing-up bar and lock? Come on - surely more have worked on this problem!?
Yes, hatch security may be a serious issue. However, most of the solutions involve so much nuisance and hassle they are not too attractive. Something like Mark J's companionway hatch one could probably be made for the inside of a forehatch, but it's gotta be able to open easily to let you escape in some other scenario, so it just gets tricky. Another issue is to make it sturdy enough and non-vulnerable to folks with a crowbar.

And honestly, if you think it's so easy, what's your own suggestion?

In addition, I'll add that before we got to Mexico, we heard it was full of thieves. And there've been such rumors other places in the world. Perhaps you are more concerned than you need to be? Perhaps not, of course, because everyone's different. But you did read the post by the lady who stated that in 4 yrs. of cruising they only needed their screen + alarm once?

And to the chap who likened escape from a burning boat to that of a house, I'd suggest it is dissimilar. Boats usually have only two (or somethimes 3) viable exit/entrance points: the forepeak hatch and the companionway hatch. Usually the mid-hatch is to high to access easily. Some boats have 2 companionways. There's no doubt where to go, and location of fire determines which exit.

Ann
Old 18-10-2013, 19:49   #23

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

If anybody wants to have a hand at building a grating, there are several good aluminum soldering rods that can be used with a propane or oxyacetylene torch. I use Fluornoy brand. They are strong, and when I pound them apart, the aluminum gives way before the joint.

They are good for a lot of aluminum fabrication.
Old 18-10-2013, 19:58   #24

I've done a lot of aluminum welding, but I've never come across the Fluornoy rods that you speak of or any other aluminum braising rod that can be used with a propane torch. Where do you find them?
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 07:51   #25

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

Sorry, my error.

The correct name is FORNEY rods, And I think I got them at an auto parts store.

Search Youtube for "aluminum soldering" or "aluminum welding" and you will get product names and videos of their use. Al rods are also sold at flea markets.

Propane works for lighter gauge metal, but oxyacetylene is best for thicker pieces, because aluminum conducts the heat away so fast. That is why the guys at flea markets demonstrate their aluminum rods on soda cans with propane. Me, I seldom patch soda cans.

One nice property is that the solder bridges gaps well. But due to the conduction it is best to do all the joints in one pass, as a second pass at one part tends to melt the previous parts. See the videos.
Old 19-10-2013, 08:54   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Another issue is to make it sturdy enough and non-vulnerable to folks with a crowbar.

Ann
Any person with an 8 foot crow bar can enter any house or car I know of so too any boat.

i have not heard of a cruising boat robbery where people on board were attacked with someone with tools. Why would they when they can just paddle to the next boat that is unsequred with sleeping people on board.

90% of cruising mono-hulls are left ofen at night.

Remember that: 90% of monohulls have NO security what-so-ever at night when people are on board.

So I dont have to worry if I can be broken into by Mr T with a tank... But my screen will keep Mr T with crowbar out for enough time for me to respond.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 07:53   #27

This might be a nice material to make a ventilated hatch from - McMaster-Carr
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2013, 11:13   #28

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Ann T Kate

"And honestly, if you think it's so easy, what's your own suggestion? "

It isn't that I think it is easy, but that I think this forum is so well populated with gifted people!
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:13   #29

Boat: Macwester 26

Quote:
Been thinking about the very same thing myself.
And came up with this idea. But it is to secure the hatch while Not aboard only.

PAGE 16
sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 13:02   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Ann T Kate

"And honestly, if you think it's so easy, what's your own suggestion? "

It isn't that I think it is easy, but that I think this forum is so well populated with gifted people!
Yeah, plenty of "Gifted" folks on CF .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, security