Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2021, 14:29   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Hanging The Dinghy

I just bought a new dinghy that has a console in it. The console, and the seat, are offset to the starboard side of the dinghy. This causes a weight imbalance, obviously, and my dinghy doesn't hang level on the davits. I tried changing the position of the outboard to try to shift weight to the port side, and that helped a little, but it's still terribly off balance.

I'd love to hear how someone else has dealt with this problem.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 14:56   #2

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: Hanging The Dinghy

scarlet, how do you attach to the dinghy ?

most dinghy davits lift from 2 points at the stern and a single point at the bow ? if this is how you do it, try shortening the leg on the heavy side. this will shift your lifting point from the centre, towards the heavy side. with a bit a tweaking you should be able to lift flat

but BEWARE : this will also mean that this short leg will take most of the weight so be sure it's strong enough. i'd suggest a swl of at least twice the total weight of the dink & outboard etc

cheers,
Old 11-11-2021, 15:14   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

On the Davit you have 2 lifting point,
One for bow tackle lift
One for stern tackle lift

On Inside of tender hull you have 4 lifting points
Two for bow
Two for stern

You make up a short equal lengths bridle for bow and same for stern so that tender lifts level.

Your outboard should be centered.

Send us photos of your davits and tender if still confused as there are other variations

Just remember, the weight distribution inside the tender should not matter, as you could have some rain water sloshing around inside, when needing to lift.

4 point connection solves that
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 15:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
scarlet, how do you attach to the dinghy ?

most dinghy davits lift from 2 points at the stern and a single point at the bow ? if this is how you do it, try shortening the leg on the heavy side. this will shift your lifting point from the centre, towards the heavy side. with a bit a tweaking you should be able to lift flat

but BEWARE : this will also mean that this short leg will take most of the weight so be sure it's strong enough. i'd suggest a swl of at least twice the total weight of the dink & outboard etc

cheers,
I have 4 attachment points. 2 in the bow.. 2 in the stern.
Old 11-11-2021, 15:34   #5

so, the leg on the starboard side is shorter? does it have to be "heftier" to account for the additional burden?

Do you put the heavy side of the dinghy (with the console on it) closer to the boat, or closer to the outside?
Old 11-11-2021, 15:55   #6

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
so, the leg on the starboard side is shorter? does it have to be "heftier" to account for the additional burden?

yep, that's right

Do you put the heavy side of the dinghy (with the console on it) closer to the boat, or closer to the outside?
my thought is it really doesn't matter, however i'd put the console to the inside where it may be a little more protected

ps : when i was sorting out the lifting strop lengths for our new dinghy recently, i initially used chain. this way you can easily shorten or lengthen the strop will setting up. once you know the correct length, then make something else if you wish

cheers,
Old 11-11-2021, 18:36   #7

Boat: Hunter 38

Do you necessarily WANT the dink to be level (side to side, usu you don't want it level fore/aft)?

Why?

If there's no reason to be level side to side when hauled up on the davits, or no pressing reason why not to be, why worry? Perhaps leveling the load is better?

I see plenty of people that carry their dink fully over on one side, takes up less room and idk perhaps helps prevent a boarding wave from astern? (I have no date for/against this).

Before getting all wrapped around the axle on "fixing the problem" consider whether it is a problem at all.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 19:56   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I have 4 attachment points. 2 in the bow.. 2 in the stern.
Then, as long as each set of slings are the same length it should lift even with just more weight on the loaded (console) side.
Ideas
Perhaps your slings are binding where they conect to the hoist .
I have a large stainless ring to make sure they equalize under load?

Are your slings long enough so they conect at about 80_90° s

Maybe your pickup points are too close together, thus making less athwahartship stable..... top angle will tell you that

Don't worry about it just make that side a touch shorter on stern bridle if extreme and always put safety slings under keel to level out for aesthetics, but more importantly Lowers the center of gravity from davit to keel, if you give it the weight.

I'm sure you know Bow up a touch for draining
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy