Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 10:00   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Handy stuff for pocket cruisers, et al.

There are a million LED flashlights out there which is great. One I found that has been pretty good is Blackfire BBM905 Clamp light. It clamps on, waterproof and floats. I find I am using it a lot lately
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 10:05   #17

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Looks great, no CO problem?
Not so far although we normally turn it off when we start slurring our words. Just kidding. These are supposed to be "Indoor Safe" & it has a low oxygen automatic safety shutoff feature. Hamilton Marine sells them for boat use although they are more expensive. We got ours from Northern Tool.

Know the difference between indoor-safe and outdoor only propane heaters | CampSafe!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 10:13   #18

interesting question. I think I qualify as I have a 2009 model Hunter 27 design for an old man--me. Like most pocket cruisers I do not have a lot of storage or space. Here is what I have done.

I have inflatable fenders, four in a soft sided container. With the pump I can inflate one in about twenty seconds. They are full size fenders.

I had companionway doors made so that I don't have to stow the hatch boards.

Inside I have installed on the bulkheads Blue canvas products and the pockets hold sunglasses, navigation gear (hardly used), a variety of charging cords (iPods, iPhone, lantern, Winchrite, etc), office supplies, small flashlights, boat cards.

I need to say that one of my flashlights is a German headband LED light that is one of my favorites. Old eyes don't see well into dark locker spaces and this throws an amazing light.

I have a two burner stove--one electric and one butane. All I need to make coffee or tea. On the coffee front, I got rid of my French Press and now only use Starbucks Via. I did a blind test once and couldn't tell the difference. I like the Columbian Via best. It comes in packets so it is easy to use.

I have a folding lantern that is LED and is charged with a computer cord. It will last turned on about two days but I see that the company has one that would last about thirty days. And this sucker compresses into something really small. Ain't technology great?

I have a magnet--push pin bulletin board next to my navigation locker. A great place to store temporary papers, gate codes, whatever but this group should know that all my stuff hanging on the bulkheads and walls are there with 3M Command hooks. These are devices that you can stick to a wall ad if you don't like it, pull the bottom and it will come off without damaging your lovely wood. I have cherry interior and don't want to put screws in it. But I have also put Command hooks in the head to hang wet coats, hooks for our inflatable PDFs, and all the Blue pockets and bulletin board are attached to Command hooks. Oh, yes, my two sets of keys are on special hooks as well.

I highly recommend that if you are attaching things to your boat look into Command hooks at your hardware store or Amazon. And no, I do not have any attachment to the company.

By the way I bought a refurbished Brother's label maker and use heavy duty tape and label all my plastic containers so that I can see things from the top. I don't use glass containers after a bad episode once long ago.

I know I've done some other things but my memory isn't working full on today. Perhaps a bit later on I'll think of them. I've enjoyed this thread.
Moreorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 10:16   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

We are rather fond of silicone galley goods. A set of measuring cups collapses to about 1/4 in thick. Colander and mixing bowls and storage containers store flat as pancakes. Just pop them open to the size you need.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 10:31   #20

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreorless View Post
interesting question. I think I qualify as I have a 2009 model Hunter 27 design for an old man--me. Like most pocket cruisers I do not have a lot of storage or space. Here is what I have done...
That's a great list, thank you! The butterfly doors to replace the hatch sliders is something I've also been wanting to do.

FWIW, this is THE best spotlight: https://store.marinebeam.com/feather...e-illuminator/ It's really quite amazing..like a laser beam through the night.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 10:38   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
That's a great list, thank you! The butterfly doors to replace the hatch sliders is something I've also been wanting to do.
On my C&C25 I cut the hatchboards into 4 (wide) pieces (instead of the original 2 pieces). This made them a lot easier to stow, usually just tucked under the bunks.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 10:42   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
We've used a Mr Buddy heater for a couple of years & it works. Kind of like a portable fireplace.

Amazon.com: Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater: Automotive
The thing to remember about portable, non-vented heaters, is that they are only for places that barely need heat. Places where you run the heater for a few hours, with a window cracked (even with limited CO output, they will consume all of the oxygen in short order, either giving you a head ache or making you dead). Places where a sweater and proper under layers are all that were really needed.

Where there is real cold and for running through the night, or for those that like un-poluted air, vented and sealed heaters are required. Safe indoors in a garage and safe in a small sealed boat are 2 completely different things. They are also generally a hazard underway.

Florida, maybe yes, winter where it snows, install real heat.
Old 16-09-2015, 10:44   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Everything on my boat that needs batteries runs on AA batteries. Flashlights, handheld VHF, handheld GPS, etc. This way I only need AA spares, rather than a whole inventory of spare battery sizes.

Speaking of power...this summer I was asked twice for a "jump" by powerboats "in distress" because their batteries were dead and could not start. So now I carry a long set of jumper cables.

For years I loved using the Davis Mini Amp Mega Light as my anchor light. It was awesome, but that was before LED lights. Now I use an inexpensive Energizer flashlight/lantern. It has a bungee to hang as an anchor light, but also makes a decent waterproof flashlight as well. Gets plenty of use, and no cord to deal with. Plus it costs a fraction of the old Davis light.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 10:47   #24

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Remember when it was Smart and Final Iris? Brilliant to use those containers for stowing EVERYTHING. K.I.S.S.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 10:52   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We will have to try the Starbucks Via. We are rather coffee snobs. I just can't abide instant coffee usually. I would love to find one that actually tastes like a good cup of coffee.
Old 16-09-2015, 11:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The thing to remember about portable, non-vented heaters, is that they are only for places that barely need heat. Places where you run the heater for a few hours, with a window cracked (even with limited CO output, they will consume all of the oxygen in short order, either giving you a head ache or making you dead). Places where a sweater and proper under layers are all that were really needed.

Where there is real cold and for running through the night, or for those that like un-poluted air, vented and sealed heaters are required. Safe indoors in a garage and safe in a small sealed boat are 2 completely different things. They are also generally a hazard underway.

Florida, maybe yes, winter where it snows, install real heat.
This unit is designed to be used indoors. It has a low oxygen sensor & a tip over sensor & is sold for use on boats by Hamilton Marine. Of course a permanent heat source is preferable if you spend a lot of time on your boat up north in the winter but for a portable unit this is pretty neat.
Old 16-09-2015, 12:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreorless View Post
interesting question. I think I qualify as I have a 2009 model Hunter 27 design for an old man--me. Like most pocket cruisers I do not have a lot of storage or space. Here is what I have done.

I have inflatable fenders, four in a soft sided container. With the pump I can inflate one in about twenty seconds. They are full size fenders.

I had companionway doors made so that I don't have to stow the hatch boards.

Inside I have installed on the bulkheads Blue canvas products and the pockets hold sunglasses, navigation gear (hardly used), a variety of charging cords (iPods, iPhone, lantern, Winchrite, etc), office supplies, small flashlights, boat cards.

I need to say that one of my flashlights is a German headband LED light that is one of my favorites. Old eyes don't see well into dark locker spaces and this throws an amazing light.

I have a two burner stove--one electric and one butane. All I need to make coffee or tea. On the coffee front, I got rid of my French Press and now only use Starbucks Via. I did a blind test once and couldn't tell the difference. I like the Columbian Via best. It comes in packets so it is easy to use.

I have a folding lantern that is LED and is charged with a computer cord. It will last turned on about two days but I see that the company has one that would last about thirty days. And this sucker compresses into something really small. Ain't technology great?

I have a magnet--push pin bulletin board next to my navigation locker. A great place to store temporary papers, gate codes, whatever but this group should know that all my stuff hanging on the bulkheads and walls are there with 3M Command hooks. These are devices that you can stick to a wall ad if you don't like it, pull the bottom and it will come off without damaging your lovely wood. I have cherry interior and don't want to put screws in it. But I have also put Command hooks in the head to hang wet coats, hooks for our inflatable PDFs, and all the Blue pockets and bulletin board are attached to Command hooks. Oh, yes, my two sets of keys are on special hooks as well.

I highly recommend that if you are attaching things to your boat look into Command hooks at your hardware store or Amazon. And no, I do not have any attachment to the company.

By the way I bought a refurbished Brother's label maker and use heavy duty tape and label all my plastic containers so that I can see things from the top. I don't use glass containers after a bad episode once long ago.

I know I've done some other things but my memory isn't working full on today. Perhaps a bit later on I'll think of them. I've enjoyed this thread.
Lots of good ideas. What's the brand on that folding lantern you mentioned?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-09-2015, 12:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
We will have to try the Starbucks Via. We are rather coffee snobs. I just can't abide instant coffee usually. I would love to find one that actually tastes like a good cup of coffee.
Trader Joe's offers a pretty decent instant coffee.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-09-2015, 15:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Trader Joe's offers a pretty decent instant coffee.
French Press. If you can heat water you can make a good cup of coffee.
Old 16-09-2015, 15:44   #30

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

French press at home, percolator for the boat. When you have the time, the smell of the percolator is almost as good as the taste. A French press just doesn't deliver that same coffee smell
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, pocket cruiser