Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 06:28   #1

Boat: Lafitte 44
Halyard thoughts, Roller Genoa.

I have to pull down the roller genoa and do a bit of repair to the suncloth. Seems a great time to replace the halyard. The current halyard is 7 years old (guess) and seems to be Sta-set or similar, nothing fancy. I would like to put up a less stretchy line. I was looking around and wondered to myself: "Hey why not just use 12 strand dyneema?" Instead of getting something with a core of dyneema. It is not like all the other halyards that I raise and lower all the time and need the grip of the cover on the winch, and my hands. I only have to get it up once, and that is at the dock, not rolling around like the main.

This is a 44', 28,000+ lb cruiser with a 140+ genoa.

GOALS:
1. Low stretch.
2. Low Stretch (yes twice but it really is that important to me.)
3. Longevity
4. Solid Red would be nice since my other halyards (main and staysail) are solid colours.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:36   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Halyard thoughts, Roller Genoa.

Dynema work nice for the purpose, we just replace the Dyna halyard roller jib for a 62 catana last week , but consider when you hoist the jib less tension in the halyard, for UV and chafe protection i recommend a cover. Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:38   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 30 ketch

I wouldn't see an issue other than sun degradation. Is your halyard run inside the mast? If not you may want to get one that has a cover around the dyneema core for longevity's sake.

Also it's a good idea to occasionally lower that halyard to check for wear and tear at the point where it goes through the sheeve. My friend's halyard snapped because of all the bird poop, salt, and sun damage that one little spot gets. I know many people who never lower their halyard on a roller furler, and several that have snapped.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:53   #4

Well I think I answered my question... Prices below are WestMarine retail.. but it gives a place for comparison.

5/16 Dyneema $2.71 13,700 lbs
12 mm Endura Classic $2.92 15,400 lbs
12 mm Endura $4.31 21,500 lbs
12 mm V-100 $7.65 18,000 lbs

Endura classic gives me the low stretch and a cover for pennies more. Solid off-white.

Ohh another reason I focused on the colour...Currently the port spinnaker and the Genoa, which comes out off the mast on port, have the same colour of line... can get confusing especially if I have crew trying to help out.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:56   #5

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege View Post
I wouldn't see an issue other than sun degradation. Is your halyard run inside the mast? If not you may want to get one that has a cover around the dyneema core for longevity's sake.

Also it's a good idea to occasionally lower that halyard to check for wear and tear at the point where it goes through the sheeve. My friend's halyard snapped because of all the bird poop, salt, and sun damage that one little spot gets. I know many people who never lower their halyard on a roller furler, and several that have snapped.
This is a problem that should never arise, if folks periodically whack about 2' off the top of the roller jib halyard. Perfect "like new" line from inside the mast will then be exposed to the elements, and you will be tying a new knot in "fresh" cordage.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post
This is a problem that should never arise, if folks periodically whack about 2' off the top of the roller jib halyard. Perfect "like new" line from inside the mast will then be exposed to the elements, and you will be tying a new knot in "fresh" cordage.

Exactly what my friend and I do. We both had issues when we first purchased our boats. Apparently the POs never heard of that idea. Unfortunately my classic plastic has all external halyards so sun protection becomes a bigger concern for me.
Old 09-02-2014, 16:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post

yup and I plan on an extra 10' for doing just that over the years. Any thing to help prevent me from being 65' up in the air, fighting a super wedgie, for no good reason. LOL

Thanks for the feedback gang... sure is better than talking to the walls here.
Old 09-02-2014, 16:44   #8

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

I don't understand the tying the new knot thing. Why go to the trouble of using strong line if it is compromised by a knot? You did mean for the sake of all the newbies reading this to learn a new splice right?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 17:01   #9

Aye, splice for sure! A knot would completely negate the strength advantage. Good catch. I immediately think to splice for everything. The PO of my boat tied knots in everything with a line... Most annoying to fix.

Besides, if I remember correctly don't knots slip badly in dyneema anyways?
Old 09-02-2014, 17:59   #10

Boat: Traditional 30

When you buy it, make sure to add a few extra feet. There will be sun damage at the head of the Genoa over time and you will be able to simply trim that section off every few years in the future :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa, halyard