Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 06:42   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Gulf stream trouble

Watched a little of it...until he got all choked up about his near death experience in 25 knots of wind...geez, more over dramatized rubbish to help generate YouTube traffic.

If you watch the intro clips of the guy sailing it appears he can handle a boat just fine, and any bonehead can research the wealth of info available on this route (...or rather the more favorable routes he should have taken).

These factors, make me suspect this whole thing was dreamed up to try and create a little drama to attract YouTube traffic...he lacks T&A aboard (the standard formula of the more popular YouTube sailors) so what esle has he got.
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:24   #17

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Watched a little of it...until he got all choked up about his near death experience in 25 knots of wind...geez, more over dramatized rubbish to help generate YouTube traffic.

If you watch the intro clips of the guy sailing it appears he can handle a boat just fine, and any bonehead can research the wealth of info available on this route (...or rather the more favorable routes he should have taken).

These factors, make me suspect this whole thing was dreamed up to try and create a little drama to attract YouTube traffic...he lacks T&A aboard (the standard formula of the more popular YouTube sailors) so what esle has he got.
As a cultural matter - it might be interesting to examine the effect of all this YT style personal drama for mass entertainment. The net effect might be a lowering of the accepted standards of competence in any subject. Entry into some hobbies used to culturally require some semblance of competence, and having one's act together. That's not as entertaining as the opposite - and now the incompetence is being glorified. More people are jumping in, but they are a little too much of the "Little Engine that Could" mindset, and a little less of the taking pride in common sense mindset. Definitely a trade-off. In some ways, society is generally being dumbed down by this - but in others, it is not. A real mixed bag.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:46   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

I think the guy had a bad night and that's that. He admits and tries to find what he did wrong and find the lessons for how to do things better in the future.

I think we all went thru similar exercises, uh?

They call it a steep learning curve ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:47   #19

BTW He did sleep some in those 50 hours, much as he was not aware of sleeping.

Beyond some 24-36 hours the brain naps even if you keep your eyes popped with matchsticks.

b.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:01   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Gulf stream trouble

First time offshore alone and he got knackered and scared.. Kudo's for not editing out his crack up.
He went out and got back without breaking his boat and lives to sail another day..
Pretty much what we all aim for..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:41   #21

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
First time offshore alone and he got knackered and scared.. Kudo's for not editing out his crack up.
He went out and got back without breaking his boat and lives to sail another day..
Pretty much what we all aim for..
What we don't aim for is being a drama queen.

For me it is a big no no to whine about what seemed to me to be rather mild weather given where he was.

I don't pretend to be the best sailor but I would never sail in the dark without reefing. I also don't really like a big head sail on furing system at night. In fact I avoid sailing at night if possible. I always file a float plan and without a good reason don't alter it on the fly.

Maybe just because the first time I was in the Gulf Stream was in 1954 on my Dad's boat and that I have been in it countless times since but I never underestimate it. The Gulf Stream pix he showed seemed to be a joke to me. Anyone who has spent any time in it knows it changes in location, size, strength, and direction almost minute by minute. Not to mention the wind above it also has significant affect on the sea state.

True we all aim to get back to port without breaking our boat; but the ones who do it with regularity don't go half cocked like this guy did.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:18   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We crossed with the Salty Dawg rally 2016. The dawgs require all green newbies to have crew of four with some blu water experience. We also had the services of Chris Parker, a weather planner and router. There was NO schedule. The fleet of 80 boats departed in three waves over about ten days. We were in communication daily and the weather planning saved everyone’s bacon. Hampton, Va departure, Cape Hatteras crossing (narrowest point). We exited the stream after crabbing about 45 degrees for 80 miles. Our router placed the rally in a south gyre with 35 knots wind over the transom for the next three days. We made Virgin Gorda in 7.5 days. I would never undertake this trip now even with three years live aboard experience without at leas three total crew and weather planning daily. SSB and Iridium GO are both necessary.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:37   #23

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

If he figures out that he screwed up and takes this lesson to heart maybe someday he'll do it right. He has taken the first step to proving the old adage; Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Some people learn from other peoples bad judgement, lets hope some of those have watched his video.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 14:08   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Gulf stream trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
What we don't aim for is being a drama queen.

For me it is a big no no to whine about what seemed to me to be rather mild weather given where he was.

I don't pretend to be the best sailor but I would never sail in the dark without reefing. I also don't really like a big head sail on furing system at night. In fact I avoid sailing at night if possible. I always file a float plan and without a good reason don't alter it on the fly.

Maybe just because the first time I was in the Gulf Stream was in 1954 on my Dad's boat and that I have been in it countless times since but I never underestimate it. The Gulf Stream pix he showed seemed to be a joke to me. Anyone who has spent any time in it knows it changes in location, size, strength, and direction almost minute by minute. Not to mention the wind above it also has significant affect on the sea state.

True we all aim to get back to port without breaking our boat; but the ones who do it with regularity don't go half cocked like this guy did.
Well I figure lesson learnt.. and he did admit he'd screwed up not reefing like he'd intended..
Lets face it there's been bigger idiots on here who have lost their boats through inexperience and ignorance, at least he has not, nor blagging a new boat.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 18:40   #25

I do not think the whining was in real. I take it was part of his youtube blogging strategy.

Them sailing hipsters call it SEO or samtin' like that.

I prefer this to Delos faked nudity.

b.
Old 11-09-2019, 18:43   #26

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well I figure lesson learnt.. and he did admit he'd screwed up not reefing like he'd intended..
Lets face it there's been bigger idiots on here who have lost their boats through inexperience and ignorance, at least he has not, nor blagging a new boat.
Point taken.

Every time I hear that something being fool proof I am reminded that my Dad use to say 'they are building better fools every day'.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 19:20   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Point taken.

Every time I hear that something being fool proof I am reminded that my Dad use to say 'they are building better fools every day'.
Great line. [emoji6]
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 19:31   #28

Boat: Tartan 40

Think he pulled down the video...?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 19:44   #29

Boat: Morgan 41 oi

Does anyone else find all these whining YouTube hero's as appalling as I do? Idiots get themselves in a jam being stupid then cry because it was so dangerous!! Makes me sick.
mack2465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 20:08   #30

a) what the public wants the public gets
b) no such thing as bad publicity
c) moar views!
d) you're not his target audience
e) moar views!

fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf stream