Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 15:32   #1

Boat: 58ft Alden boothbay explorer
Gulf of Mexico in February ??

Wrapping up my life on land to set sail, And can not get out before February. Will be leaving from Kemah Texas and headed to Key West for my first stop before Bahamas and beyond. any advise or suggestions would be awesome. Have heard it sucks that time of year.

Cheers, Cpttroy
cpttroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 15:40   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: Gulf of Mexico in February ??

Get SailFlow Pro and start watching it now. I had good success with it and it goes out 7 days. Of course, the farther out you go, the less reliable it gets.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 15:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

The cold fronts can be a bitch..... Blows warm out of the south, rain squalls, then COLD as hell out of the North followed by a few days of relative calm out of the East.... Not great for a TX -FL crossing
Old 08-11-2016, 16:18   #4

cool website, i was use to using passage weather. but more info the better.
Old 08-11-2016, 16:22   #5

So February?? guess i leave the rookie crew home to meet me in Key west and man up with my seasoned crew and just deal with it. i know the boat can handle it.

thanks, cpttroy
Old 08-11-2016, 17:25   #6

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

You might consider cruising along the northern coast so you can hop in when things get tough and wait for a norther to come through and ride down on it. You can probably get 48 to 72 hours of reliable forecasts, and then it gets more unreliable.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:35   #7

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Suggest the ditch, not offshore for that time of year. A passing cold front with 30+ knots and confused seas along with all those rigs and platforms to dodge is not fun
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:41   #8

Thumbs up Re: Gulf of Mexico in February ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
You might consider cruising along the northern coast so you can hop in when things get tough and wait for a norther to come through and ride down on it. You can probably get 48 to 72 hours of reliable forecasts, and then it gets more unreliable.
I live on west coast central Fl all my 50 plus, (quit counting after) & this sounds like a good idea because that time of year front after front comes from the north west & he's right on,, you could ride one right after another & be close enough in to take care of whatever
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:03   #9

Boat: Scout 30

No matter what you're gonna have to stay offshore from around Panama City to Tarpon Springs. It's just too shallow for your boat to hug the coast. You can run the ICW from Tarpon Springs south but with a 5.5' draft you'll have to be careful.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:07   #10

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

Did Kemah to St Pete FL in Feb 2014 in a Catalina 30... ouch. A couple of things. Sailed thru two Northerns and one good squall which brought lots of wind, rain and cold.. like mid 30s with good size waves (15 ft +). Bring good foulies w back ups and lots of plastic to keep dry clothes dry. Next time I would wait until late March to mid April. Otherwise, plan trip with moon phases in mind,, keep an eye on the Gulf Stream w Passageweather.com,, get out and away from the rigs asap, and would reco that you stay within radio distance east / west shipping lanes around the 27 lat? ... just in case. Good luck, cheers, Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:35   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Carrabelle is your last stop on the ditch before you make the jump to Tarpon Springs or better Clearwater. We have an excellent sheltered harbor, full service yard, and places to stay if you need to dry out and rest up before the next leg.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:00   #12
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Carrabelle is your last stop on the ditch before you make the jump to Tarpon Springs or better Clearwater. We have an excellent sheltered harbor, full service yard, and places to stay if you need to dry out and rest up before the next leg.
I hope all of you in Carrabelle did ok with Hermine. Say hi to Capt. Kim and her husband at C-Quarters for us. Ralph and Beverly aboard s/v FUGUE from Texas (now in Brunswick, Ga.).

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:48   #13

Boat: Island Packet 32

I've made the trip from Grand Isle to Kemah in January, but waited until Chris Parker gave me a weather window. A Norther in the Gulf is not fun, and the weather will be plenty cold.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:06   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
No matter what you're gonna have to stay offshore from around Panama City to Tarpon Springs. It's just too shallow for your boat to hug the coast. You can run the ICW from Tarpon Springs south but with a 5.5' draft you'll have to be careful.
Yes, but it is only about a day and a half trip, I've done the ditch from Tarpon Springs down past Sarasota down to Venice with a 5' draft, no real issues, just slow.
I'd jump across from PC to Tarpon Springs, then down to Tampa Bay, then maybe direct to the keys depending on Wx forecast. I've done that trip a few times, just not in February, cause I discovered in Bosnia that I am allergic to cold, Korea further reinforced that discovery, now I avoid it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:23   #15

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, but it is only about a day and a half trip, I've done the ditch from Tarpon Springs down past Sarasota down to Venice with a 5' draft, no real issues, just slow.
I'd jump across from PC to Tarpon Springs, then down to Tampa Bay, then maybe direct to the keys depending on Wx forecast. I've done that trip a few times, just not in February, cause I discovered in Bosnia that I am allergic to cold, Korea further reinforced that discovery, now I avoid it.
Just remember the ICW never gets dredged so depths can change & at low tide you might be holding your breath in a few places. I'd stay outside as much as possible. Also, winters here are not what they used to be. We see 80's in December sometimes to you never know.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico