Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 23:13   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
Ground shipping a mast from Houston to Palm Beach

Hello, I finally found a replacement mast for the one that was destroyed in Irma. I will ship with Tropical Shipping from West Palm Beach to BVI, but I’m having no luck in finding someone to ground ship from Houston to West Palm Beach Dock yard.

The mast is 49’ x 10”x 6” with no spreaders attached. Approximate weight is 300lbs.

I’d be grateful if someone could recommend a shipper.
TrevorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 00:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Ground shipping a mast from Houston to Palm Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorP View Post
Hello, I finally found a replacement mast for the one that was destroyed in Irma. I will ship with Tropical Shipping from West Palm Beach to BVI, but I’m having no luck in finding someone to ground ship from Houston to West Palm Beach Dock yard.

The mast is 49’ x 10”x 6” with no spreaders attached. Approximate weight is 300lbs.

I’d be grateful if someone could recommend a shipper.
Are you shipping it as deck freight? Most masts are shipped to Tortola in containers, which are limited to 40 feet. The mast is cut into two and field spliced back together. Very standard procedure, and structurally sound, but you will need to find someone to make the cut properly. And being able to put it into a container in Houston might be advantageous, too.

Congratulations for finding a mast! I have had to make a similar search, recently concluded.

Best of luck
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 00:54   #3

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Ground shipping a mast from Houston to Palm Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Are you shipping it as deck freight? Most masts are shipped to Tortola in containers, which are limited to 40 feet. The mast is cut into two and field spliced back together. Very standard procedure, and structurally sound, but you will need to find someone to make the cut properly. And being able to put it into a container in Houston might be advantageous, too.

Congratulations for finding a mast! I have had to make a similar search, recently concluded.

Best of luck

I’m assuming it would be deck freight, as they gave me the estimate based on 50 feet long.
TrevorP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
houston, mast, shipping