Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 21:15   #31
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Kai - damn .. that sounds like someone else you know

not in CA though
Old 07-11-2006, 22:16   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yikes Sean!! that's gives me cold shivers down my spine. Mate, what a story.
Hey good on you two for staying aboard though. I really really think you are doing the right thing and just think, you can shift nieghbourhoods, heck, Countries if you want at anytime you want.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 08-11-2006, 00:46   #33

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Did anyone wonder if the guy read your posts before he contacted you? You can learn a lot about a person just going back over their previous posts. He may have even picked you out that way.

Makes you think doesn't it?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:18   #34
Kai Nui

The world is a scary place. Your choices are to lock yourself up in a padded room, or to take you chances, use an educated approach, and take your lumps. We all get burned now and then. Fortunately, I am a firm believer in Karma. (And am in a position to help Karma along once in awhile) My life is essentially an open book, yet there are areas that remain out of site to all but those closest to me. If someone wanted to profile me from my posts, they could certainly get close, but, as they say, be careful for what you wish for.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:21   #35

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Talking Speaking of Grifters....

You could have saved your time by hireing a professional....

... they would guarantee that you would be taken for the extra % and remove all doubt.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:29   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
Lesson there is, you sold the house. Were you out to make friends, or sell a house? A legitimate buyer (or seller) will appreciate all the i's being dotted. It protects both parties. If someone is more concerned about being friends after the sale than the terms of the sale itself, I would be very concerned about that person's real intent. When we sold Petrel, we received a call about a week into advertising. The person said he was from Morro Bay, was familiar with the boat, and would be up in a week to pay for her. After about two weeks of a call every thre days with a new schedule to come up, I finally got it (yea, a little slow I know, but I was hopeful).This guy just wanted someone to talk to. I let it play out for a few more weeks and he eventually lost interest and admitted he was not going to buy the boat. Just goes to show there are some really messed up individuals out there.

So true! My personal favorites (sarcasm...) are the ones we had that brought the "whole family" down to take 2 hours going over the boat. At the end, we found out from the kid that they were just doing it to kill some time before going to dinner. They thought it would be "neat" to look at a sailboat before the dinner party. We had spent the entire day cleaning and polishing just for that.

I'd never sell a boat without a broker again after trying. They are worth the 10%. No question.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:11   #37

I disagree about the brokers. They get the run around too and many of them will not qualify the buyer. I was given a key to look at a boat in Auckland a few weeks ago by a broker. He did not even know me! My mate has just bought a new boat. He approached an owner in the Marina the broker is in and the owner wanted to sell. (the broker did not bother to do that). Three years ago I went to a broker in Auckland to see if they had any Lotus 10.6s. He told me there were none in the Marina. That day I started negotiating to buy Seafox privately in that same Marina. What a lazy broker.

You still need to present the boat for the "tyre kickers" with a broker. The same idiots will ring the broker that will ring you. The broker will still ring you with their offers (bogus or not).

I sold Real Estate for 16 years and used to watch the private sellers get sick of it and eventually give the house to an agent. The agent does little more than the owner could do. They just get sick of it and think the agent will do better.

There are very few good agents and most owners can do a better job selling their property themselves. The only time a "good agent" is useful is in negotiating the sale. You could perhaps pay a negotiator for this.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:01   #38
Kai Nui

My one experience with a broker left me showing the boat, answering the potential buyers questions, and accompanying the buyer on a sea trial. I have to agree, that for the price range of boats I deal with, a broker is not a benefit. That said, if I were dealing in the hundreds of thousands, I would certainly use a broker, and I would expect much more from that broker. I refer to my previous statement, you take your chances and take your lumps. The best protection is to be educated and wary about what you are doing. What ever a buyer can find out about you, you can find out about him. The reaon most people don't is either laziness or trust. I do not trust anyone, so I guess I am just lazy. Or maybe not. Maybe I know allot more about the people I deal with than I let on

Old 08-11-2006, 16:37   #39

Most people use brokers because they are lazy. You hit the nail on the head there. They cannot be bothered dealing with the tyre kickers and being put out of their way a little. What I don't understand is why they dont. They go to work to earn a pittance when they could save thousands of tax paid dollars by putting a little effort into it. I have bought and sold all my boats without a broker and so far it has gone without a hitch.
Old 08-11-2006, 18:22   #40

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Being selfish, I admit...

Sean, On the one hand I realize that you must follow your own lead when you indicated that you were selling the boat, on the other hand I felt glad that you did not leave us because we would have been berift without your contributions.
Old 10-11-2006, 13:07   #41
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
A bit in the news:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...layings10.html

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 10-11-2006, 13:18   #42

Boat: gozzard 44
http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicL...l#anchor167712

Your story brings to mind the murder of Tom and Jackie Hawks featured in Latitude 38. They, also, took perspective buyers for a test sail and were overpowered by three people, tied to an anchor and pushed overboard in riveting testimony in court. And he was a strapping probation officer in good physical shape, but when you have your back turned anything can happen.

http://www.tomandjackiehawks.com/
Old 10-11-2006, 14:52   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Sean, On the one hand I realize that you must follow your own lead when you indicated that you were selling the boat, on the other hand I felt glad that you did not leave us because we would have been berift without your contributions.
Thanks, Rick! I'm not so sure my contributions are more than fluff and opinion lately, but hey... it's a great place to be.

We will not be selling this boat for many many years. We are working to pay her off for the next couple.
Old 10-11-2006, 14:58   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1
http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicL...l#anchor167712

Your story brings to mind the murder of Tom and Jackie Hawks featured in Latitude 38. They, also, took perspective buyers for a test sail and were overpowered by three people, tied to an anchor and pushed overboard in riveting testimony in court. And he was a strapping probation officer in good physical shape, but when you have your back turned anything can happen.

http://www.tomandjackiehawks.com/
Good lord, this story nearly made me puke. It's so sick - especially when you can see the faces of Tom and Jackie Hawks and see in their eyes that they were probably very nice people. Is CA a state with the death penalty? Because I'd suggest dragging the offenders from a trawler until they stopped moving.

My guy was trying to do the same thing (get me alone on the boat, or have us sleeping with him there). His plan unraveled when he saw that I'm young and in good shape, my wife is younger and in better shape, and that there were a few technicalities in transfer of ownership that he didn't expect.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:05   #45
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Maybe its the life I've led, but I tend to start off with a basic distrust of people I dont know, until enough time has gone by that I get a good feeling. Sometimes thats an hour, sometimes never, but its amazing how many times my initial response is right. I only need one warning flag to be on high alert. I might be a pessamist, and yeah, its probably not the best way to get through life. Buts its gotten me this far.
Closed Thread