Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2021, 06:30   #16

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Grey Water Disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
Interesting...the OP has a Beneteau Sense 46 being a newer monohaul and the engine is isolated without a bilge pump. In newer monohaul the bilge is isolated from the engine and only pumping out non oily non engine type fluids. Wonder what year did pleasure boat designers started isolating the engine from the bilge...wonder is this is different in a multihaul.

Abe
My 2016 Leopard has a completely separated with a watertight bulkhead engine compartment.

These do have their own bilge pumps though.

I found out the hard way how watertight these compartments are when I accidently flooded one up to the hatch.
capn_billl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:34   #17

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Re: Grey Water Disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Well, I do mean the bilge pump(s) that are in the engine bilge, which could be oil and/or fuel fouled. I don’t mean the bilge pump(s) in the main hull(s) bilge(s). Peace

That definitely clarifies things. And personally I think a lot of boats are poorly designed by having engines directly over the bilge without a drip tray. If things are designed properly, an oil drip from the an engine or generator should never end up in the bilge water.

I've got a powerboat with twins, so the builder's simple solution was to just not install limber holes in the stringers where the engines sit. So any drips are contained, but water has other paths to get down to the main bilge if it ends up outboard of the engines. Any water that ends up under the engines has to be manually removed, but unless something fails, that won't happen. And if you get enough, it'll overflow the stringers anyway.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey water, water