Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2006, 16:41   #31
cruiser

Weyland... that is a bit of a nightmare. Hopefully that's one of the steel VanDeStatds? Nice boats.

My 2 cents on sailing in: I think it might have something to do with the size of the boat. Notice how most of the people who suggest it's ok are in boats less than 40'. I used to do it all the time in my first boat (21'). After that, in my 30 footer, I did it a little less, since everywhere seemed a little more crowded since I was bigger. Now, I have not even attempted it in the current boat. Seems almost too crowded to motor in sometimes... I have just a few feet to spare in many cases maneuvering into a slip. I stick way out past the end of them, etc...

For drama, picture sailing a Laser into a slip. Now picture trying to sail a boat like Irwinsailor's. I think there is a difference.

Proving me completely wrong, I can recall some of the very large racing boats in Newport Harbor FLYING around the harbor under full sail weaving in and out since it's almost entirely a mooring field. These guys have huge crews and are pros... so I don't see a danger. But they do have very large boats to navigate the relatively small spaces.

But for us "regular guys", I think size is an issue with sailing to a slip. EVERYONE should be able to sail to their mooring though.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 16:48   #32

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Weyland... that is a bit of a nightmare. Hopefully that's one of the steel VanDeStatds? Nice boats.
I haven't hit anything....yet. And no, it is a fibreglass VandeStadt, so I'm hoping to continue not hitting things.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:08   #33

Boat: Privilege 37
UK problems especially around the solent are created due to the number of boats and the shortage of space. If all the boats in nearbye marinas went to sea at the same time, you would be able to walk across the solent!

Most times the fuel docks are full with others waiting.

space between the rows in the marinas is just about a boat length for me, as my turning circle is abt 3 boat lengths (much more in strong winds), the concept of trying to sail onto a berth does not fill me with a desire to prove my skills (although there are a number of local GRP repair people who would be able to assist afterwards!)
Old 19-04-2006, 14:21   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jim, I think the best tip I ever saw was to go out and buy one of the longest 2x4's you can find (or PVC pipe, etc.) and a couple of floats or 2-liter soda bottles. Then take them out to some spot where you can't entertain the crowd, rig two floats to a 2x4, and drop one in the water.

Now you can practice docking all you want, without really banging anything up and without that distracting applause.<G>

As so many others have said the tricks are to prepare, to practice, and to have things rigged well out in advance, so you can do all the running around to set them while in open water. Personally, I like to run all lines back to the boat, rather than tying them ashore. This means I can throw a line around a cleat, and secure it, without leaving the boat. No jumping around needed, no shore help needed (although I'm happy if it is there.)

It also helps to have a spare shroud or other long line aboard, which can be thrown and then used to warp the boat in if needed. Yes, "warp" applied to ships before starships, and it is perfectly valid if not elegant.

Don't be afraid to come in too slow, it just takes TIME to learn any given boat. My goal is to have the boat drift to a dead stop where I want it, rather than coming in fast and using the engine equally fast to stop it.

But then again I'm spoiled, I'm done most of my "docking" either bow-to or on a mooring. First time I actually had to bring a boat alongside a dock (a crowded long fuel dock) I realized about fifty feet out that I'd never DOCKED a SAILboat before.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 01:42   #35

Boat: Privilege 37
Aah! the ability to approach a dock at slow speed and glide gently to a halt. Probably something to do with having a large chunk of metal hanging on the bottom!

You want to try it in a light cat in strong winds to really stretch the docking capabilities!
Old 20-04-2006, 13:35   #36
cruiser

Docking

The most important thing is to get a midship spring attached to the dock at the first opportunity. I've seen too many people get into trouble by trying to park the boat exactly where they want it before getting her attached to the dock, leaving them at the mercy of wind and tide.A line ashore gives you one control point that is not so much affected by wind and tide .
Brent
I splice a miship spring on , too short to reach the prop, so I know it will always be there and won't get moved when I'm not looking.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2006, 18:44   #37

How big/heavy a boat are you talking about? Do you have whalers to lay on when docking?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 14:25   #38

In Texas we all learn to throw a lasso. It works for pilings and dock cleats as well as cattle. And it impress the hell out of the ladies.
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 19:19   #39
Kai Nui

And then there are those days when everything goes right. We had a short sail with friends yesterday. Finished the sail. sailed into the slip (upwind), and backed the main. Came to a stop, stepped off and tied off the boat. It don't get much better than that.
Old 03-04-2010, 16:15   #40

Boat: svfurthur
I'm new here and have been reading through the threads. Interesting and a lot of good thoughts. It's been said here in other words but I remember my wise old Dad telling me "boy, if you tie up the middle the ends can't get away"
Dave Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 18:10   #41

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I was wondering what to do with my old wire to rope halyard!

The Halpern MKIII Docker !!! I love it !

Tags
Docking