Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 05:16   #1

Boat: Beach marine (modified Crowther) 36'
Question Great Australian Bight crossing help

We are planning a trip from Perth to Brisbane via the GAB.
Any experienced sailors out there done it? When is best months to go (ie likely to be kind weather) and is it possible to break trip into smaller chunks after Esperance (Daw Island) and before St Francis Island?

Any help or tips would be much appreciated. PS it would be in a 35' sailing Cat. at this stage.
Dbl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 01:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah
Re: Great Australian Bight crossing help

We've sailed that route a few times at various times of year and had various experiences. Going East means you'll want northerly to west souwest. In the summer close to the coast are Easterlies, strong in the afternoon and evening. On our website are cruising guides, heaps of anchorages, photos, for both the south WA coast and SA. Have a browse. We have sailed west to east three times. Once in August, I wouldn't advise it unless on a well founded vessel for the thrill of seeing and feeling the sea run very big. Later in the fall may be you're b est time, although our last time was April and the weather gods chose South wind for that week. A bit worrying, but fast. And not to our destination! We aimed for Strahan and landed in Portland Vic. Happy to be able to spread out a bit of wet gear.

There's some info regarding anchorages on our website
Old 17-01-2013, 07:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Great Australian Bight crossing help

Dunno about anyother time but I did it in late Oct into Nov last year... it was not that bad.
Timed the fronts to a certain extent, my stops were Albany, Portland (which I left the next day, no facilities (fuel)), Port Fairy which is lovely but a very shallow approach and entry... from there I crossed Bass Straits down to Tasi'..... motored most of the way across the Strait... use the engine... don't wait to be caught up..
The boat..? a 40yr old ply Van de Stadt 'Dogger'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 15:31   #4

Boat: Beach marine (modified Crowther) 36'

Thanks guys, Banyandah, you mention "Later in the fall may be you're best time". We Aussies don't use that term but I guess you mean Autumn? Now did you mean after your summer or the Aussie summer, which would make Autumn (Fall) from about March April onwards to about early May.
Dbl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 01:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl07 View Post
Thanks guys, Banyandah, you mention "Later in the fall may be you're best time". We Aussies don't use that term but I guess you mean Autumn? Now did you mean after your summer or the Aussie summer, which would make Autumn (Fall) from about March April onwards to about early May.
Hey mate, I'm an Aussie, just started life in Yankee land. The Fall means our Autumn which is say around May, maybe April depending. You want to get on the south side of a HIGH, or take a small depression, but they pass through pretty quickly. A High sits for much longer. Dawes Island is your last anchorage, and a good one. Hope that helps.

Tags
Australia