Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 16:13   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Good Grief, Cat. 5 Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Did you ever think that maybe government and the people thought that FEMA was a necessity?

I am sure they did as was Homeland Security and several others. One thing I can absolutely assure you about government and that is with a certainty that it considers more government agencies a good thing.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 16:17   #47

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareKnot View Post
Warning. Increased probability of rant today. Please pass the soap box...

Not meaning to go too far off topic, but there are many poor souls in the coastal areas of Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas that are struggling to take care of their boats. Many are liveaboard cruisers looking after their homes. Then, just when they need it most, fuel, provisions, fresh water and a very specific spectrum of building materials and hardware items vanish.

In this day and age of computerized inventory controls and hyper-accurate supply and demand modeling, why is the southeastern United States running out of critical supplies just when they need them most? And why, in the name of all that is good, are the governors of these states NOT raising hell about it?

For about a week or more, there has been better than even odds that a hurricane would be in the neighborhood. That is more than enough time to ramp up shipping to regional distribution hubs for all these inventory items, but especially fuel, water and non-perishable necessities. These life threatening shortages happen in EVERY hurricane and it is a correctable circumstance that needs to be addressed.
I think a better question to ask is why are people waiting until the last minute to purchase food, water, plywood, etc when they have known about this hurricane for a week or more. Then they bitch that the shelves were empty and the government should do something about it.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 17:04   #48

This storm just made a worst case scenario. It's going to have wrecked 10,000 plus boats. Nassau hard hit, marinas not built for 10+ surge, Freeport horrible hit and from the worst possible angle...every boat on the south side of Grand Bahama has been trashed. Now it's going up the coast of Florida! We better hope it goes inland or gets no closer than 75 miles or we'll have 100,000 + boats trashed. That's goes along with all the poor lives lost for those who had no warning or could not evacuate.
Hunter34StPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 17:22   #49

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

A little 30 ish

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 18:21   #50

Boat: Fountain Pajot Orana 44

Into my first week of ownership and started on Monday !@#$%. Shelves in Fort Lauderdale were full Monday but by late Tuesday they were out of water.

West Marine was open thru Wednesday am and I was still adding line and fenders.

I have been lucky so far but don't wait until the storm is a day out or you'll be out of luck on the most in demand items. I now have a christmas tree of color lines all over, so much for looks or consistency.

I dropped by this afternoon and all my prep's survived last night, granted FLL only got the West bands of the storm but the wind's were real gusty in the bands.

First storm I've every had a reason to stay close too.

Anywhere north in FL & GA on the East coast watch out. Be careful and be smart.

Hope this thing doesn't loop back for another S. FL pass...
zerompg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 18:41   #51

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Btw, the latest projections have this one looping back around towards Miami by Tuesday or so. Matthew is getting too bizarre for words.
Not really too uncommon, last one I remember was Ivan in 2004, believe there was one in the west Pacific even more recently, maybe even this year.

uncommon,
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 20:29   #52

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Yeah Jim, I'm right there with you. I was in San Leon on Galveston Bay for TS Allison in 2001 and for Ivan a few years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Not really too uncommon, last one I remember was Ivan in 2004, believe there was one in the west Pacific even more recently, maybe even this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trop-allison-path-2001-325x220[1].jpg
Views:	177
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	132455   Click image for larger version

Name:	allison_rain[1].jpg
Views:	182
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	132456  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20010609_houstonfloodallison[1].jpg
Views:	481
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	132457  
Old 06-10-2016, 20:37   #53

Well I've been swayed. No really! I'm convinced! So hear me now:

For all of you that did not - or could not - heed the government sponsored media message and evacuate or provision early, it's nice to know that some think you deserve whatever happens to you. Meanwhile, you may be reassured by official messages like,
  • "Scott said Florida has a six-day supply of gas even if all ports close, and residents will be able to top off their tanks once the storm passes."
  • "Scott, who suspended all tolls on Florida highways to aid the evacuation, said today would be the most difficult day for evacuations and fuel supply."
  • "We don’t have a shortage of fuel," Scott said. "We have a shortage of how fast we get it to stations when they sell out of their fuel. That’s our weakness. We have plenty of fuel in this state."
Good to know...

Forget that this is all double-speak for: We didn't require the suppliers to put more fuel trucks on the road at the time of our most critical need. But this is all OK, because there are many people out there willing to remind us that the government did all they could and besides, it's all our fault. Exigent circumstances, my foot! You should have listened!
  • Don't have fuel and can't evacuate? Tough. You should have listened!
  • Don't have a house built to the latest codes? Oh? Old building codes and a Cat 4 storm? Shame on you anyway. You should have listened!
  • Don't have clean water and stuck in the boonies? What's that you say? You filled your bath tub but now it's full of broken cinder block, shingles and rat droppings? Well, don't get snake-bit or step on a downed power line trying to find any water to drink. And remember; You should have listened!
  • Hi Granny don't cry. What's wrong? Still trying to decide whether to spend your SS check on life-saving prescriptions or or life-saving provisions? Well it's too late now. Why didn't you listen?
  • Next time you find yourself in this dire circumstance (assuming you survive this one), I want you to come over here and ask these nice people with an income stream, a home or a yacht, about Florida's pride in being prepared for hurricanes and how there are no 'real' shortages. They'll tell you what you should have done. I't simple: You should have listened!

I am encouraged that the world has changed, that S**t no longer happens and state-sponsored compassion abounds. No! Really! SMH
Old 06-10-2016, 20:56   #54

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Well I've been swayed. No really! I'm convinced! So hear me now:

For all of you that did not - or could not - heed the government sponsored media message and evacuate or provision early, it's nice to know that some think you deserve whatever happens to you. Meanwhile, you may be reassured by official messages like,
  • "Scott said Florida has a six-day supply of gas even if all ports close, and residents will be able to top off their tanks once the storm passes."
  • "Scott, who suspended all tolls on Florida highways to aid the evacuation, said today would be the most difficult day for evacuations and fuel supply."
  • "We don’t have a shortage of fuel," Scott said. "We have a shortage of how fast we get it to stations when they sell out of their fuel. That’s our weakness. We have plenty of fuel in this state."
Good to know...

Forget that this is all double-speak for: We didn't require the suppliers to put more fuel trucks on the road at the time of our most critical need. But this is all OK, because there are many people out there willing to remind us that the government did all they could and besides, it's all our fault. Exigent circumstances, my foot! You should have listened!
  • Don't have fuel and can't evacuate? Tough. You should have listened!
  • Don't have a house built to the latest codes? Oh? Old building codes and a Cat 4 storm? Shame on you anyway. You should have listened!
  • Don't have clean water and stuck in the boonies? What's that you say? You filled your bath tub but now it's full of broken cinder block, shingles and rat droppings? Well, don't get snake-bit or step on a downed power line trying to find any water to drink. And remember; You should have listened!
  • Hi Granny don't cry. What's wrong? Still trying to decide whether to spend your SS check on life-saving prescriptions or or life-saving provisions? Well it's too late now. Why didn't you listen?
  • Next time you find yourself in this dire circumstance (assuming you survive this one), I want you to come over here and ask these nice people with an income stream, a home or a yacht, about Florida's pride in being prepared for hurricanes and how there are no 'real' shortages. They'll tell you what you should have done. I't simple: You should have listened!

I am encouraged that the world has changed, that S**t no longer happens and state-sponsored compassion abounds. No! Really! SMH
I'm surprised that you don't blame the hurricane on man made global warming.

Please start another post in the appropriate liberal rantings section.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 21:33   #55

Hi Mikado,

Some people are easily surprised. I guess you are just one of those people. I'm also guessing that will not be changing any time soon if you think that compassion and conservatism are mutually exclusive.

Let's try to leave politics out of it. There are people suffering and dying out there. To me that is not acceptable, no matter which side of the aisle you claim. This woulda, shoulda, coulda cr*p is what we conservative Texans warn our neighbors not to step in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
I'm surprised that you don't blame the hurricane on man made global warming.

Please start another post in the appropriate liberal rantings section.
Old 06-10-2016, 22:22   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Care Not, (sorry that was just to easy) I gather that was sarcasm.
In fact we as a nation are probably better prepared for and quicker to respond to a disaster than anywhere else in the world. Yes we can get better but a little individual effort would go a long way to making things easier.

Instead of waiting until 12 hours before the storm hits, buy the damn can of gas 48 hours before it hits or better still buy it in June at the start of hurricane season.

House built under old building codes? Harden it. My house was built more than sixty years ago. All my windows either have shutters or have been replaced with impact resistant windows. When I replaced my roof, I specified annular ring nails. Didn't cost anymore but the roof is a lot stronger. The code now requires it.

Like you, I believe the government and private business can get better. I think that is happening.

As an example FEMA doesn't have to wait for the state to ask for help before they react to a disaster. After Andrew hit Miami our Democrat governor didn't want to ask a Republican president for help. Three days later our local disaster director went on TV and famously asked "Where is the cavalry?".
Twenty four hours later I was watching big twin rotor Navy helicopters carrying sling loads of supplies over my house. Today FEMA doesn't need to wait to be asked. The Goodyear Blimp flew over that night using its lighted sign to tell people where to go to go to get help.

Our local government encouraged grocery stores and filling stations to install generators so they could reopen quickly after a storm. If I recall they offered low cost loans to help pay for these up grades.
Old 06-10-2016, 22:29   #57

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
I think a better question to ask is why are people waiting until the last minute to purchase food, water, plywood, etc when they have known about this hurricane for a week or more. Then they bitch that the shelves were empty and the government should do something about it.
Exactly. It was mentioned prior and I'll mirror the comment. I didn't have to buy anything last minute but a few gallons of gas to top off my vehicles tank, because it is driven daily, and extra beer.

Everything else that was needed to prepare was procured well in advance and a great deal of it is items I consider basic preparedness.

Anyone that lives in a part of the world where severe weather occurs should know better, and if they don't, well that's called Natural Selection.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 22:59   #58

global warming isn't a political issue, it's a scientifically proven fact.
Zephyrcat229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 23:00   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

As someone who went through a heap of hot storms and Hurricanes in Florida, there is much to say about preparations.

Shutters, generators, spare gasoline, cars full of gas, water, food, lights, animal transporters and clothes in sealed plastic bags.

These start getting topped up as soon as a warning is issued. I say topped up simply because: I use the stored gasoline if the problem resolves to keep it fresh and then replace as required. I take the clothes out of the bags to air them periodically, wash dry and place back in the vacuum sealed bags. (Just my thing). I keep the vehicles serviced. Food is used and replaced accordingly. service the generators regularly. (Honda 2k and house).

When I lived there, the Dodge van was ready to go in 30 minutes. The house could be shuttered in 40 minutes.

The boat? Tethered the best it could be. Reality is that flying debris cannot be prepared for.

Its life.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 00:15   #60

I realize that this may come as a surprise to many of you, but there was a lot of uncertainty about the track of this storm. For people with limited resources, y'know the ones that can't afford a decent car, much less a $200,000 yacht, they might actually have reason to wait before making unplanned expenditures. Politics aside, limited budgets allow for limited choices.

I've been through a lot of hurricanes. I was a longtime Florida resident too. I don't recall this type of callous antipathy when I lived there.

When I was a young man of 11, I remember crouching on the sheltered side of the roof of our house in hurricane Carla with my older brothers. We watched the winds rip signs and buildings apart through bands of heavy rain. Our dad found us and made us come in when the transformer behind our house was struck by lightning and exploded.

Afterwards, I remember helping family and friends rescue people trapped in flooded cars and destroyed homes. I remember pulling two of our neighbors out of the wreckage. They were dead. But we didn't think it was their fault because they weren't prepared. This is absurd.

I guess that kind of thing sticks with you, seeing neighbors die needlessly. But I am fortunate that I never got so callused as to write off their deaths as 'natural selection' or characterize tragic circumstances as their fault because they were not as fortunate or prepared as some of you.

I also knew a number of well-off individuals devastated by the economic convulsions of 2000 to 2010. Some of my friends, family and clients lost everything. And while their perspective was the same as many I am encountering here, their attitudes changed as substantially as their financial status when the reality of relative poverty set in. Some were pretty cliquish, but at their worst, I don't ever recall any of them spewing this, "Screw 'em if the weren't prepared, they deserve whatever happens to them" message.

Truly, I hope that none of you run into this attitude while cruising.

Tags
hurricane