Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2020, 15:10   #31

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Gladis Orcas - do they try to bust the boats for fish?

Harpoons, bazookas, depth charges, banging pipes. Stop your boat. Be quiet.
They get bored and go away. It’s just that simple.
As I’ve posted before, sleeping sperm whales are truly dangerous to hit.
OK. Let us at least try to look at it this way.
Please read my posts on manatees and the development of a vaccine for papilloma. It’s clear that a better understanding of the immune system of mammals is an important subject. With papilloma, we have a proven case of hundreds of thousands of people benefiting directly from manatees.
We are not the only mammal on the planet. No one knows what medical benefits might be found by the further study of marine mammals because ...THEY ARE MAMMALS....just like us.
There are only so many mammal species on earth. The microbes that can kill us number in the billions. Each and every mammal on earth may be critically important to our survival. We just don’t know which mammal. Common sense.
It’s self preservation to protect every marine mammal.
Life and death fight with an orca. I think you will loose but go for it. Oh, by the way, there has never been a case of an orca killing a human in the wild.
So...what gives you the right to harm these mammals. I’m not a religious person but clearly many people who do believe across many different religions, all hold a similar belief...that all was created to share one garden.
Go into labs where they study cells and vaccines and ask them why they have monkeys. Something bangs into your boat and that gives you license to injure a marine mammal when it has been proven one specie of marine mammals have saved thousands of lives.
Happy trails to you kimosabi
Captain Mark and his “protected by Federal Law” manatee friends
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 02:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiopirata View Post
Some misconceptions here. First the name "killer whale" is a misnomer, it was "whale killer". Second, they are big dolphins and their behavior is similar. Third, they are safe to swim with. Fourth, they generally don't attack boats, certainly not without good reason though that reason may not be known to us. Fifth, they are perfectly able to read our emotions, frightening us a little is hilarious to them, if they can sneak up on you and do their equivalent of saying " boo" they will, your reaction amuses them. The important thing to remember is that despite a macabre sense of humor they will do you no harm intentionally.
another that was witnessed is back scratching. I do it all the time. a friend of mine in Alaska saw this repedadly scratching on the rock ledges on shore of deep water. Natgeo would love to have video of that.
Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 07:05   #33

Boat: 35' sloop

All this is very interesting, and to think I once thought it wqould be 'cool' to change my bottom paint to black/white.
Story I heard was that they sometimes think it's an injured Orca and try to right the keel so it can breathe.
Decided ... naah. Went wit red Trinadad.3
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 08:23   #34

Folks complaining about anthropomorphism by definition must believe that humans are not animals, which creates all sorts of problems for themselves and the protection of animals, if not understanding life in general.

An article about animals with curious behaviors:
https://www.vox.com/2014/4/24/564089...s-monsters-bad
The case against otters: necrophiliac, serial-killing fur monsters of the sea

They rape baby seals and hold each other’s pups hostage for food.

-----------------

Otherwise, regarding HPV. HPV is now the leading cause of mouth/throat cancer at least in the US (per CDC cause of 70% of such cancers, while "about 10% of men and 3.6% of women have oral HPV, and oral HPV infection is more common with older age"). Perhaps someday nerd scientists will connect the dots between a cancer of genitalia and the mouth, but in the mean time as stipulated up-thread it makes sense for multiple reasons that young males could/should receive the HPV vaccination series as well as females.

Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 12:37   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Here we go again,
Orca= wolf of the sea
Killer whale given to them by Europeans when they stared to see their hunting behaviour
Truly is an orca wanted to eat the person on board I can assure you they would ram your boat until it took on water then wait until your flapping about and then eat you,
There has been a few recorded incidents when an orc has holed a boat, one was were a female was trapped in a net and sent out calls,
Two others Appeared and raked the boat putting the fishermen in the water, they were ignored
Another more scientific analysis was done with divers and snorkel people off of Norway were the pod was hunting the herring, they found with hundreds of hours of footage no aggressive manoeuvres towards the people in the water
Let’s stop assuming they are attacking, because there is no purpose to the attack, wild animals do not attack for fun, they do so for food ,
There is no food in a plastic rudder, this is curious behaviour by juveniles and more than likely play and curiosity, yes it can be scared and expensive, but at least your alive , no body gets hurt in these encounters , just shameful accusations.
Feel privileged you can sail on the oceans of the world and expect some encounters with the residence. Or do not go simply really
Where did you get the idea that wild animals do not attack for fun?? I grew up in Africa and I have personally witnessed a leopard kill an entire troop of Baboon 30 or so of them and he did it out of pure fun. did not even bother to eat any of them just went nuts killing them.
ktbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 13:02   #36

And then there's the Yellowstone wolves killing 20-30 elk at a time just for the hell of it and leaving them uneaten.

Orcas seem to like baby grey whale tongue too.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 13:29   #37

Oh...by the way...did you see what happened to the captain that poked a manatee in Miami?
Perfect.
Put it in the can. This film is a wrap.
Captain Mark and his celebrating fuzzy faced friends.
Old 27-11-2020, 17:02   #38

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on behaviour of 'alien intelligence'.

Somehow, yes, encountering the Orcas, it is the nearest thing of 'encounter of the third kind'.

...They have a language that we don't understand, their behaviour is not nearly yet understood, and their social behaviour have some evidence, but is it still anecdotal?

And, what this vagueness tells about 'sentience' of our own species

we seek "extraterrestrial intelligence" with radio telescopes, and, meanwhile, we don't seen to have a clue about "intraterrestrial intelligence"...

It seems you got my drift about 'Orcas are not silly', so no reason to toot that horn any more. Someone asked at the beginning of thread 'what would you do if your boat is attacked'.

Well, thanks for asking, I thought about this before, and I think that if the situation is not getting too worrisome, I would put my scuba gear on an jump to the water, wawe my finger to them when they're f**ing around with my rudder, and see what happens.

If they eat or drown me (that is _very_ unlikely) there is a note on logbook what I was about to do, so then I would have donated my body to the science...

More likely, that encounter will show how much this pod get haphazard hand signs and what they do about that.

It might actually be quite a lot. The big question is, if their communication is based on whistles, how to understand their feedback without some kind of 'star trek-esque universal translator'... behaviour is quite clear thing, but the details are on the language... we're on dark here...
JCFlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 10:07   #39

Perhaps yachts are a safe place to vent their frustrations, whereas commercial fishermen in many places are known to carry firearms and sometimes more, for use against natural competitors.

One of the sources linked in this thread IIRC alluded to the fact that what the fishermen do when unobserved in response to their problems with Orca is unknown, or words to that effect. Based on what has happened in other places it's probably not hard to guess.

If the Orca have figured out that the fishermen are dangerous to be around, they may be "venting" on yachts which they have determined are safe targets. It's probably too much to suggest they are conveying a message through these attacks on yachts, but that needn't prevent us to drawing logical conclusions.

It is remarkable that Orcas, as far as we know, have shown no propensity for really destructive attacks on humans and small boats, when they could so easily get away with it at times, and seem to have the intelligence to choose such opportunities.

It has now been proven that experience, particularly trauma, can embed itself at some biological level and be passed on from generation to generation. The loss of fear of humans has been observed in other predators as well.

As in humans, it probably takes only one or two "leaders" with anti-social traits to attract a following of anti-social "followers" and soon a pack forms. Given their high order of development, is there any reason to think Orcas have no personalities?

This pod is stressed, when stressed young males particularly tend to become aggressive or "act out". Why should it be different for Orcas? These attacks also seem to occur when these individuals are away from the restraining(?) influence of the rest of the pod.

It sounds similar to the rogue adolescent elephants; to say nothing of our own species.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 11:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and his masked manatees.
Your Manatee blabbering is HIGHLY !!! irritating. At least for me. Could you please stop it.

Imagine if everybody here would do this.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 12:23   #41

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillikum View Post
Perhaps yachts are a safe place to vent their frustrations, whereas commercial fishermen in many places are known to carry firearms and sometimes more, for use against natural competitors.

One of the sources linked in this thread IIRC alluded to the fact that what the fishermen do when unobserved in response to their problems with Orca is unknown, or words to that effect. Based on what has happened in other places it's probably not hard to guess.

If the Orca have figured out that the fishermen are dangerous to be around, they may be "venting" on yachts which they have determined are safe targets. It's probably too much to suggest they are conveying a message through these attacks on yachts, but that needn't prevent us to drawing logical conclusions.

It is remarkable that Orcas, as far as we know, have shown no propensity for really destructive attacks on humans and small boats, when they could so easily get away with it at times, and seem to have the intelligence to choose such opportunities.

It has now been proven that experience, particularly trauma, can embed itself at some biological level and be passed on from generation to generation. The loss of fear of humans has been observed in other predators as well.

As in humans, it probably takes only one or two "leaders" with anti-social traits to attract a following of anti-social "followers" and soon a pack forms. Given their high order of development, is there any reason to think Orcas have no personalities?

This pod is stressed, when stressed young males particularly tend to become aggressive or "act out". Why should it be different for Orcas? These attacks also seem to occur when these individuals are away from the restraining(?) influence of the rest of the pod.

It sounds similar to the rogue adolescent elephants; to say nothing of our own species.
What are you saying. That some of these whales are like trump supporters.
Old fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 12:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillikum View Post
...It has now been proven that experience, particularly trauma, can embed itself at some biological level and be passed on from generation to generation. The loss of fear of humans has been observed in other predators as well...
Excellent post. My greatest fear with this is that the behavior could escalate/spred, resulting in a lot of dead orcas (as this is how things always play out). Hope they sort this, one way or another, soon.
---
FWIW a piece about prairie dog language that's been decoded:
https://youtu.be/j4zSWiuuCnE

And an off-color (Saturday Night Live TV) piece about teaching a dolphin to communicate:
https://youtu.be/-zq5kWvp528
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 12:38   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
Your Manatee blabbering is HIGHLY !!! irritating. At least for me. Could you please stop it.

Imagine if everybody here would do this.
Thanks for your private message. -- On a public forum of course everybody is free to do as he/she pleases (within limits) but just to re-irritate, reading your posts irritates me. It's a pity. As a proposition it would help if you would split the message part and the Manatee "annotation". But maybe when dealing with "Rundschwanzseekühen" hope is lost

Cheers
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 12:39   #44

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350

Thank you for educating us about Manatee. They are adorable regardless. Human we had been killing countless species that we supposed to share the Earth with. It is time to give the oppressed species some wiggle room. As for the Orcas incident, my take is they must be thinking like “man, we had been eaten as meat, serving as money making, doing experimenting etc. for human all ours life without pays; what’s up with the whining with some fun from us banging the boat trespassing our front yard.”
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 14:50   #45

Hi. With regard to my manatee addition at the end of my posts.
A number of posters have in addition to the post additional material such as quotes from authors, thoughts about sailing, feelings about trolls (whatever that is) and additional information of a wide variety.
Do you need examples? So, could you be so kind to expand upon what exactly you find irritating and why it bothers you so much. I mean, most people love manatees...well except the guy in Miami that poked one (his behavior is currently under Federal Court review prior to final sentencing ).
I have received several compliments in private messages from those who love manatees and my posts.
Of course I cannot please everyone. Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and his “let’s all sing White Christmas “ manatee crew.

Tags
boat, fish, orcas